Dr. Blackstone and UHC

alligatorpgr
on 1/4/07 10:30 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I got a call from Wendy Jo at Dr. Blackstone's office, and she confirmed that they won't be a UHC provider after June 2007. I guess Dr. Blackstone has been trying to re-negotiate her rates with them, and has been unsuccessful. I'm still on for my surgery in March, and I will be covered for all appointments for 90 days after my surgery. At this point they are not sure who she will be refering her patients too, for follow-up care, so I will have to probably wait until February to find that out. I am disappointed that she won't be doing all of my follow-up, but at this point I've already waited months to get approved, and I'm less than 90 days until surgery so I will hang in there and see what happens. Wish me luck..... Alli
cj29
on 1/4/07 11:47 am - Phoenix, AZ
Best of luck to you! I know my Dr takes UHC... he is the BEST surgeon in the valley. Look at my profile and you will see. Carrie
alligatorpgr
on 1/4/07 1:21 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I've been to one of his seminars and he seemed very knowledgeable. He does take UHC, but the hospital he operates at isn't a UHC facility, so that ruled him out for me. I have really good benefits with UHC, not no out of network benefits at all. So I will stick it out with Dr Blackstone, and hopefully things will work out for me. Think positive is my new mantra !!! Alli
pwrightt
on 1/4/07 11:08 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Alli: You have been thur a lot of stress because of this. Now its time to relax and get ready for your operation. I know personally I would have completely freaked out if my insurance would no longer cover my doctor (Dr.Juarez). I like what Connie has done. She now see's her PCP and its working out even better. Relax and get ready for the big day. It will be here sooner then you think. Best of luck Pam
Nicole W.
on 1/4/07 12:25 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Alli, Glad you got your the information you needed. You are good hands with Dr. Blackstone... I know you know this already. Hopefully by June they will work something out. By any chance do you have secondary insurance coverage maybe thru your husband? I know my mom has my dad's as her secondary and if her doctor's bills arent covered with her coverage they bill my dad's. Your surgery will be here before you know it! ~Nicole
alligatorpgr
on 1/4/07 1:18 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Unfortunately for me, I'm the one that carries the insurance for my family, my husband's policy is too expensive. I know I've made the right decision in going with Dr Blackstone, it's just dissapointing to know she's not going to be with me through my entire journey. I will be grateful for what I have, and not complain about what I don't have...That's my goal for this year anyways Alli
carolem
on 1/5/07 1:03 am - Austin , TX
This is really not good news, I like you will still have her as my surgeon, and hopefully she will refer us to someone for followup care. I wouldn't worry too much about that as there are so many doctor's in this area that will probably do just fine. I thought it must have something to do with money because UHC is one of the easier insurance companies to be approved through. I've never gotten a letter from Dr. B. but that's probably because I'm this month for surgery. I wonder if she will apply this to taking new patients, sounds like it's accross the board from what you wrote. Hang in there, as you say, you've come this far.
KT300
on 1/4/07 2:33 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hey Alli, Thanks for the post above, I wonder how far out we'll need to see a bariatric dr or whether our primary can follow us. I'll ask Randy when I see him next week for my 2 mo. Wishes of luck and prayers for a successful outcome for you!!!! Katie
lemarie22
on 1/4/07 10:45 pm - Glendale, AZ
Allie, Dr. Blackstone did my surgery and then I lost my insurance coverage with her a few months later, much the same as you. My pcp has picked up my care and done a great job. He monitors my blood work and is very diligent about it. In fact, I think he's probably more on top of this than most of the surgeons because it's not his field and he's not taking anything for granted. I get sent for bone density tests on a regular basis as well as getting my blood work done. He also makes sure to follow up with making sure that constipation isn't an issue and monitors my liver and kidney function. One of the other things he does is prescribe everything he can in liquid form, even though I'm almost 3 years out, so I won't have malabsorption issues with meds. Connie
vickinicole
on 1/5/07 5:05 am - Bryan, TX
Allie, is your PCP located in Glendale? I am looking for a PCP
Most Active