Why NSAIDS hurts us & why we can't talke just any pill

horizontallychallenged
on 1/29/07 1:54 pm
I thought this may be interesting to read. I am not a physician and have limited knowledge in the pharmacological field, please consult your physician before you make any changes in your medications. _________________________________________________________________ >>>>>Why can't we take anti-inflammatories via sublingual or injection? All NSAID's and COX inhibitors have a high possiblity of causing ulcers when you consume them. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are called NSAID's such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Relafen, Naprosyn, etc. They work by stopping an enzyme called cyclooxygenase (COX 1 & 2). They, the (COX) enzymes protect our stomach lining from acids & digestive juices and by helping our kidneys function as well as protecting our joints from injury when they are injured by causing swelling. So, NSAID's block the protective swelling in the joints and block the protection our stomach has from ulcers basically which is why we get bleeding & pouch pain when taking them in any form, if they get into your blood, they stop the protection enzyme. COX inhibitors stop the same protective enzymes, they are things like Celebrex,Vioxx, Bextra, Celecoxib, Refocoxib, Valdecoxib, etc. ____________________________________________________________ >>>>>>>>Why can't we take any pill we want to after RNY surgery? Malabsorption is most profound in the fat-soluble type medications and vitamins because our bodies don't absorb fat well. The base that a drug is delivered in will greatly affect it's absorption rate, aquatic based medications are the best, sublinguals & chewed meds are fine but discusting sometimes. The more soluble it is in the stomach acid, the faster it will absorb. Drugs made to dissolve in an alkolotic state will take longer to disolve because they need the enzymes in our small intestine (which is half gone now) and won't start the process until they are in your intestine, these drugs pass before we (RNY patients) can use the whole thing, we lose part of it. Time release or extended release shouldn't be used at all, they are mostly wasted by our body before it is broken down and absorption takes place. Your physician should be consulted prior to starting, stopping or altering any of your medications. Don't mix, chew or change your prescription without talking with them first please. Please visit my blog/website here on OH ~ Just click on my name right under the cow ~ "Web Medic"
M. clarke
on 1/29/07 2:04 pm
So are pain pills made to dissolve in an alkolotic state? Your post kind of addresses some questions we had earlier about pain pills passing through before they dissolved. Not sure if that was intentional, but thanks
horizontallychallenged
on 1/29/07 10:20 pm
No, I didn't see your conversation. We had this discussion on the main board and thought I would share the extended version with all of you here. What pain medication is it that you want to know about?
horizontallychallenged
on 1/29/07 11:20 pm
Are you referring to the conversation about Toradol and Lortab from a few days ago? I did read that one and this is a mixed response to that and the conversations on the main board. Lortab is acetaminophen & hydrocodone (similar to codeine) - there are two types, pill & liquid form. It is excreted through the kidneys so if the kidneys aren't working properly, you can have it retained in your system. It is absorbed in your gastrointestinal tract, broke down in the stomach. Toradol is a NSAID and has major side effects for bleeding, ulcers and renal problems and shouldn't be taken for more than 5 days for anyone. It's an injection, IV
M. clarke
on 1/30/07 4:09 am
I am meaning vicodin. Do you know what type that is?
horizontallychallenged
on 1/30/07 4:34 am
Vicodin has the same ingredients as Lortab. It is also absorbed the same, broken down in the gastric and absorption takes place in the gastrointestinal.
M. clarke
on 1/30/07 4:53 am
So that means it does pass through our stomach before it is fully absorbed? And we are losing some of it then?
horizontallychallenged
on 1/30/07 5:34 am
No, it's broken down good. It's broken down in the gastric acids and absorption starts in the gastric tract, it continues in the intestinal tract, you should feel it's affects quickly because of the way it's broken down. It's cleaned out of the body through the hepatic (liver) and than the renal (kidney) systems, it's used pretty well by our body.
Maureen O.
on 1/30/07 4:24 am - Glendale, AZ
So does this mean I won't be able to take my anti-inflammatory anymore? I take it for my back and for arthritis. I suppose I will have to ask my doctor what else I can take for this pain. Thanks, Maureen
horizontallychallenged
on 1/30/07 5:39 am
Well, you definately should bring this up to the prescibing physician. Possibly they don't realize you have a smaller stomach now and the bad effect NSAID's may have on it, I would make it a priority in my discussion.
Most Active