One week post op

ChrisOR520
on 1/29/07 12:12 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi I am one week post op tomarrow. And I still feel bad. I can seem to stomach anything. Even the smell of food makes me gag. I am starting to think its the percosete. Cuz today for lunch I have pureed chili and that went down pretty good didnt gag @ all which I was pretty suprised. Then went for a 15 min walk around the block came back sat down and watched some tv for about 1hr then decided to take a nap went to take the percoste so i would be in pain and not even 2 mins later everything came back up. I even through up taking my protein suppliment. I will be calling my Dr's office tomarrow.
M. clarke
on 1/29/07 12:20 pm
Chris your profile says you are RNY? Should you be eating chili if you are one week post op? I was on jello and water for at least 8 days post op. And not allowed any tomato based things until month 4.
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 12:20 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Chris, Sorry your first week has been rough... I can understand the smell of food making you a little sick. Percocet is very hard on the stomach and should be taken with food. Maybe take it with some yogurt, eggs or cottage cheese and maybe cru**** or cut it in half, the pill may be still too large. See if that helps. Even as a pre-op I had to make sure I ate something before taking it or ate food when I took it. As it does a number on you. Just wondering is chili on your surgeons approved foods for this early? I would just be afraid with the spices and tomato it might be a little rough on your pouch as it's still healing My surgeon has a pretty strict food plan for the first 4 months... the first week is liquids only and then lean proteins after that. I know each surgeon's office is completely different with their food plans, so that is why I was wondering. Hope you feel better soon! ~Nicole
ChrisOR520
on 1/29/07 12:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
My sergeon has us on puree foods for 3 weeks and I guess chili is approved. I do cut the percoste in half and I was fine the 1st few days but Saturday is when The gaging started. Even sitting here right now typing i am gaging. Yesterday I didnt take anypain medicine and still could not handle my protein drinks. Pre op I would mix it withfruit and it was good and tasted like a Jamba juice. But i am not sure if i can have fruits this early out. Does anybody have any recipies for purees. I also know I am not getting all my water in. But today was a better day i did get 30 oz
M. clarke
on 1/29/07 12:44 pm
It is hard to get your water in this early because of needing to take such small swallows. Pain medication can be really hard on your stomach. At one time I could not tolerate percoset and had to change over to vicondin. When you call your doctor you might want to check and see if they can switch you to vicodin. I found it wasn't as hard on my stomach. Also percoset had a weird effect on me that I couldn't sleep at all with it. I was up for 24 hours after my hand surgery because I was taking it. I would double check on the chili just to be sure. My doctor advised that citrus based fruits and veggies like tomatoes, oranges and such can cause tears or ulcers early on. I'm sure you are fine if they didn't tell you to not eat them, but you might want to double check just to be safe and make sure with your doctor it is okay to eat them. Like Nicole said everyone's doctors are different, but better safe then sorry. It is likely just the medication that is making you sick if you aren't accustom to pain meds. Try to get your water in. I know it is hard, but that can dehydrate you and make you nauseated also.
M. clarke
on 1/29/07 12:49 pm
Chris, the isopure dosen't taste great, but it is a great protein product. It is super easy on your stomach too. You might want to try them for a few days until your stomach settles down. I found the orange one and the pinapple one weren't bad. A lot of people like the grape and say it taste like watered down grape koolaid. I didn't care for the grape, but I think it is one of the more popular ones.
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 12:52 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I would stay away from foods that have acid, like fruits and tomatos... they will irritate your new pouch and make you miserable. I am almost 3 months out and I cannot do citrius fruit or tomatos yet. Also your tastes will change... things you liked pre-op you may not like post-op, such as certain protein drinks. You may want to try eggs, yogurt, lean protein (turkey, chicken, tofu), cottage cheese... jello, broth for a few days. Give your new stomach some time to heal and recover. Because if you keep vomitting, I am afraid you might hurt your staple line and it can cause more serious problems. Call your surgeon for the exact items you can eat and if you get worse. Pureed foods is pretty vague. Try crushing your pills and putting it in some low-fat yogurt or sugar free pudding (if you can have that) or ask your surgeon to prescribe you liquid form. The percocet just might agree with you and you may need something else for the pain. This is an excellent recipe book for post-ops... all the recipes are broken down by certain foods for post-ops and can be pureed. You can probably get it at Borders or Barnes and Nobles http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Well-After-Weight-Surgery/dp/1569244537/sr=8-5/qid=1170133124 /ref=sr_1_5/002-8619420-5886451?ie=UTF8&s=books
pwrightt
on 1/29/07 9:11 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Chris: I have to agree with everyone else. Chili at 1 week out would have made me sick. For the first 3 weeks my doctor has us on a liquid diet. Things like broth, sf jello, yogurt. Only then can we slowly incorporate puree foods. I am only 4 weeks post op and I can remember my pain medication also made me nauseated. So I got off that as soon as I could. I agree. Since you are allowed to eat stay on the really soft foods. Try a liquid diet for a day or two and give your stomach a break. I'm glad you're calling your doctors office. Everyday does get better but I don't think that is any consolation to you right now. Good luck Pam
JRinAZ
on 1/30/07 12:28 am - Layton, UT
Congrats on becoming a LOSER Christopher! A couple of things to consider.....1. chili itself is acidic with the spices and tomato sauce and may be a little rough on a "newborn pouch". You may want to consider a bland liquid/soft food diet for a few days. Ulcers are always a concern while you are going through the healing phase and acidic foods can eat away at those raw zones! Ouch!....2. Consider taking a half tsp of peanut butter (let it dissolve to liquid fat in your mouth before swallowing) right before taking your pain meds. Some of us can have terrible "attacks" that are similar to a gall bladder attacks as we take pain meds. The extra fat helps soften the blow to the intestines (medical stuff is long and over my head! LOL!).....But, the fact that you might dump with peanut butter at this early stage....consider melting a little pure butter for a half tsp of "slider" help for that pain med. time. Let us know what you doc says.......Hope you're feeling better soon! Take care, Joyce
Most Active