Nausea and vomiting... am i alone?? Seriously HELP!

Nicole W.
on 12/29/06 9:10 am - Cave Creek, AZ
JRinAZ
on 12/29/06 1:48 pm - Layton, UT
Melissa, Just be careful with the fruit. Our bodies don't receive fruit any differently than it does with a spoon full of sugar. You can dump big time on fruit; especially when it's in the juice form. The general rule for post-ops is to limit fruit in general (especially in the first 6 months) and then as you can have a bit of the low glycemic types (berries, melons, etc.) then you should balance it with a protein to slow the absorption down and thus avoid dumping and sugar dives. A couple of berries in a protein smoothie shouldn't hurt you but some banana might send you to the potty in a hurry. I found out the hard way one time as I was driving home from St Luke's nibbling on fresh fruit. ...... I had the worst dumping scene of my life right on the side of the road in the middle of rush hour! !!!! Yikes! I"m reliving my nightmare!!! Joyce
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 3:29 pm
YIKES.. thanks for the warning Joyce.. i will be careful.. It didn't work out anyways...nothing cut the taste of the vanilla isospure..still can't get myself to drink it with anything..i will have to stick to drinking the premixed isopsure for now. Was hoping i could find a way to drink that vanilla stuff seeings i bought it. But can't get a taste for it. Tried lots of combo's and nothing worked.
Nicole W.
on 12/29/06 4:05 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Try the natural flavored powder protein instead of Isopure... instead of blueberries I have used banana, strawberries and peaches... all frozen (except the banana). I eat a banana everyday... no problems on my end. I have had pineapple (not knowing we couldn't have citrus fruits) without problems either. But take your time... try things slowly and experiment. I try to try new foods each day, like building a tolerance. It took me a few times to get that shake perfect... adding more and more fruit to cover the taste of the protein powder.
KT300
on 12/28/06 3:10 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Melissa, Boy I can relate, like Nicole I too had surgery that same time period 11/3 with Dr. B and was able to drink most liquids and have yogurt go down, but was vomiting every day at least twice a day, sometimes even my pills and water would come back up. I pressured the office to have it checked out and I did indeed have a stricture and since I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago have vomited only a few times a week and it was really only when I ate too fast or didn't chew well. I had bigtime buyer's remorse, but now thankfully my good days are more frequent than my bad. I will say when I eat with friends/family I have a harder time than eating alone as I don't chew very well and that I have become sick in many restaurants which is a bummer. One thing I will say is that pre-op I didn't hear about a lot of vomiting/nausea and I wish I had so I would know it was semi-normal, it really surprised me. Hope things improve. Let me know on the first Jan. support group if you get more info. Take care, Katie
M. clarke
on 12/29/06 5:52 am
Thanks Katie
Most Active