Weight loss before surgery...

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/06 1:07 pm - avondale, AZ
Hello, Just wanted to know if I was the only suffering from "last supper" syndrome. Dr. Blackstone, my surgeon, requires you to lose weight before surgery. Unfortunately I think I'm gaining. I am scheduled for surgery on 1-12-07. Just wondered if anyone else suffered... Thanks!!
Nicole W.
on 12/18/06 2:13 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I really didn't have the last meal thing going on for me... but try really hard and lose that weight. I know its hard, but stop the last meal feeling... you WILL eat your favorite foods again, just not right away. So don't mourn the food, you will have it again. I cut out the fast foods and the pasta's pretty quick. I didn't let myself get full... do the the mindful eating and the 30-20-30 rule. You will see it will help! At my pre-op appointment with Dr. Blackstone, she didn't say anything to me, so I really cracked down 2 weeks before and lost 13lbs before surgery and she and Melissa said something to me the morning of my surgeon... "Congrats on the 13lbs!" It makes things easier for the surgeon during the procedure and decreases the size of your liver... so cut out fried fatty foods and foods that also have enriched floor, pastas, etc. Good Luck!!
pwrightt
on 12/19/06 1:31 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Danielle: With Dr.Juarez we do not have to loose wait before surgery. But I have thought about the "last supper" My surgery is 2 days after Christmas so I have wondered what kind of meal should I have for the holidays. My stomach is telling me a big old prime rib or something like that but my brain is telling me to take it easy. I think a lot of us worry we may not be able to eat what we did before but also remember our taste buds are going to change. This is a new beginning with new eating habits. You will do just fine.
CINABOBINA
on 12/19/06 1:55 am
Danielle I did the same thing, Plan on 1 last supper about 4 days in advance not 15 meals .. the rest of the time you have left be working hard at weight loss.. It will make your surgery go a lot smoother for Dr Blackstone .. and yourself . & as Nicole mentioned - you will eat your favs again ! Dont do your last meal too close to Surgery .. You still need to do the nasty bowel Prep and you will be glued to the toilet - not pleasant ! Get on the atkins - protein plan - easiest way to loose , Push the water to help boost the metabolism - you should be fine ! p.s. Cut the salt
Nicole W.
on 12/19/06 3:29 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Jean brought up a good point about the bowel prep the day before surgery... if you eat heavy foods a day or two before you do the prep, the longer and more often you will be on the toilet. Like eating steak and heavy foods... you will be on the toilet all night. Be sure to eat a light diet the day before and the morning of (maybe toast) you drink that stuff, your bowels will thank you! I heard of people pigging out the day before and the morning of the bowel prep and they were on the can all day and night and never got sleep before her surgery... Also cut out the caffefine a few days before also, otherwise you might get a nasty caffefine headache! Slowly ween yourself off.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/06 10:38 am - avondale, AZ
Thanks I really appreciate the advice. I am trying so hard to get off this last supper kick... I gave up diet coke 2 months ago that was hard but I did it so I can do this too.
Most Active