Info on Bariatric Hospital section

quiltz
on 12/8/06 11:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
One entry stated Shea doesn't allow you to get into your bed between the hours of 6 AM and midnight. It this true? I have never heard of a hospital not allowing you to get some rest. Surely, this isn't what she meant in her entry. What experiences do you have?
Susanbs4
on 12/8/06 6:14 pm
You are not allowed to be in bed. However, they have wonderful recliners that you can be in and they are great to sleep in. They are much easier to get out of so that you can do your walking. I actually found the chair more comfortable to sleep in that the bed.
Nicole W.
on 12/9/06 1:10 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Yep, it's true... I was shocked when I heard too. But understand why... they don't want you getting pneumonia... because when you are flat on your back or reclined really low your breathing is pretty shallow and also you are at pretty high risk for blood clots. But they have Bariatric Recliners that you sit in the rest of the day and usually after each walk I was asleep in the chair. If the Lab or aides don't wake you up from getting vitals and bloodwork, you are up by 6am already, then you get weighed... do some walking, get in your chair and fall asleep for a couple hours. Then breakfast comes... so does Melissa (NP) and Dr. Blackstone will stop by and see you in the morning. You will get all this information in your Pre-Op class too... it has lots of good info in it! Good Luck!
lemarie22
on 12/9/06 3:37 am - Glendale, AZ
That's a Dr. Blackstone rule. The morning after surgery, I took a walk and happily crawled back into bed. When the nurse came into the room and saw me in bed, she said, "Oh my God! Get out of bed. If Dr. Blackstone catches you in bed, she'll take the bed out of the room." I thought she was kidding. She wasn't. You need to be upright and you walk every couple of hours anyway. It's to prevent blood clots and pnuemonia. Connie
dfavre
on 12/10/06 4:11 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Is that for the whole stay? How long did you all have to stay in the hospital for? -Dawn
lemarie22
on 12/10/06 4:19 pm - Glendale, AZ
Mind you, my surgery was almost 3 years ago, so things could be very different now... Yes, it was for the whole stay. I think my surgery was the last of the day so it seems like it was late by the time I got to my room from recovery. That night I was allowed to stay in bed, but I was up and walking every couple of hours. The next morning I was out of bed and stayed out of bed for the whole day. I was in the hospital a couple of extra days because I have a kidney disease that needed some attention, but the bed was off limits except for sleeping at night the whole time I was there. It really isn't that bad. I walked every hour or two and relaxed in the recliner when I wasn't walking. It was easier to get up from a recliner than a bed when I went for my walks. Connie
CINABOBINA
on 12/10/06 10:26 pm
Marcia I was in for 3 days due to complications, The only day I spent the whole day in bed was when I was in I.C.U. otherwise its up at 6:00 and in the recliner- then in bed about 11:30- 12:00 - was not bad !!! the recliner is comfy and the nurse's are great ! - Just ask for an extra pillow ... Its much better for your health to be more upright, Plus you do not have to wear the compreshion hose on your legs if your upright - lessens the chance for a blood clot ! makes it easier to get up and down to the potty.. etc... You will be fine..
Susanbs4
on 12/11/06 11:45 am
Yes, it was for the whole hospital stay. I had lap RNY and was suppose to be in two days. I had OR on Wed and was in until Sun because of post op nausea and an elevated white count. It was much easier to be in the recliner. You could get up to use the bathroom and to walk alot easier than from the bed. They don't care if you sleep in the recliner. Dr B just doesn't want you lying in bed.
Most Active