Questions about the darned medical ID jewelry.

horizontallychallenged
on 11/22/06 2:09 pm
We are talking about this on the main board, it's very interesting, the questions people have. If you are interested in reading the entry, if not, I posted one here. Maybe we can get out own questions going. I don't mean to sound like I own stock in medical ID's but ... I am a Paramedic, I have seen many types of medical jewelry. I seem to have gotten sensitive lately about this subject ... sorry. I keep seeing questions such as "what should I put on my medical ID jewelry" . Can I please give a little drop of opinion on what it should say? Think about what this piece of jewelry is going to be doing, it's going to speak for you if you can't, if you are bleeding inside, have a problem with your airway or something else that has caused you to become unconscious. Also, will your jewelry be found in a timely manner or could it be torn off during an emergency such as an auto accident? I think it should say important things that will make a difference in a matter of minutes for you. How about MEDICINE ALLERGIES so you aren't given something that causes an anaphylactic reaction, or your pertinent past MEDICAL HISTORY put into one or two words. You can have GASTRIC BYPASS put on, that's about all you need, anything else will be a waste of precious space. Something even more important (that a lot of people overlook) and will probably be the most vital to your survival --- TELL YOUR FAMILY ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL PROBLEMS. If your family or friends are called and they have NO INFORMATION about you, nothing has been gained including vital information that might be needed for your survival.
lemarie22
on 11/22/06 11:33 pm - Glendale, AZ
When I asked my surgeon's nurse about these, she felt they were unnecessary, but I got one anyway. Mine says: My Name RNY-Gastric Bypass No NG W/O Endoscope I haven't worn mine in a year or so, but when I did, I had many beaded bracelets to wear it on instead of the regular wrist chain. Connie
pwrightt
on 11/23/06 12:42 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I really never thought of a medical ID piece of jewerly. But now that you have brought it up I really see the benefits. My husband has congreative heart disease and takes over 10 pills a day. Plus he's a diabetic. So that would be very good. Also for me. If something did happen it would be nice for someone to know I had gastric bypass. I think I will make the jewerly a stocking stuffer. Might just save a life.
Most Active