EGD Results

Deanne K.
on 11/4/06 10:43 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I had an EGD done on Thursday with a Gastroenterologist here in Tucson. He has alot of experience with bypass patients. He told me that the opening from the esophagus to my pouch is too big. Does anyone have and reasons why this happens? Was this a failure of the surgeon or in how my body stretched? I have always been able to eat more than anyone that I know that has had this surgery. I am just about 2 years out. I did lose 100 lbs, but am starting to gain again. I can eat mostly like a normal person now. I know it is more than 1-1/2 cups of food. I can recall eating an 8 oz steak, potaoto and vegetable and a slice of bread and just getting the full signal then. I have never really had the full signal very early on when eating. Does anyone have any idea what I can expect to hear from my surgeon's office? They basicially have disowned me and my problems, so I went to the gastro doc without their knowledge with the blessing of my PCP. I am just afraid that they will blow me off again.
JRinAZ
on 11/5/06 1:37 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Deanne, Unfortunately it is all too common for a large percentage who are 2 plus year out from their Rny surgery to be stretched out or have some type of staple line disruption. Many surgeons and even support groups want to blame us. It reminds me of the days before surgery when people would tell us to do it the "old fashioned" way and that we were just weak and at fault! Somehow, our "fat" brains hang on to guilt in a big way and we are afraid to tell anyone that our surgery has failed us somehow. ...................The bummer part of trying to get a revision (probably what you need) is that insurances rarely approve it unless you are back to the 40 BMI !!!!! I have the same problem as you and I REFUSE to wait til I've regained the 143 pounds that I lost to get things taken care of! I was just denied for a Revison to Lap band (wanted to get banded so I could get a lifetime of adjustments as needed and get the satiety I need again). But, I was approved for a Hernia Repair. So, I"m figuring out how I can get the band at the same time as the hernia repair. It may be quite a while though soooooo until then, I'm going on a DETOX program this coming week. I'll do protein drinks and straight lean protein to purge the carb and sugar cravings. And....since I can't feel the "full signals" either; I will go back to weighing and measuring. I'm also headed back to the gym in a big way tomorrow and will be getting a personal trainer again. I guess it's back to old fashioned dieting til Dr Simpson and I can make a surgical plan and tackle it! Good luck! If you are interested in a revision; I know a great surgeon! *wink, wink* Joyce
Deanne K.
on 11/6/06 12:09 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce, That would only mean that I would have to gain about 20 lbs to put me back in a bmi over 40. That is really not much weight that I am below the 40 bmi in my opinion. I have met Dr. Simpson a few times here in Tucson and he is wonderful. I don't know what I am going to do. I can't live with the nasuea all the time and the pain that comes with it. It is definately very debilitation at this point. I have never had any energy since my surgery, as everyone talks about how much energy they have gained. I exercise 3 times a week, so I think that I am doing good in that area. I do have trouble controlling my portion sizes. I have a habit of drinking a little when I eat. I will try to cut that out again and be more conscious of what I am doing. Also, carbs and sugar are hard for me to cut out. I need to go back to the protein shakes and mostly protein and see how that goes again. I did lose 100 lbs, but have put back on 15 lbs already and am scared that I will gain more. Is there any chance of approval in getting a band put on this? I go to Scottsdale on the 15th, so I will see what happens then. I am anticipating that I will get nowhere with them.
JRinAZ
on 11/6/06 2:34 am - Layton, UT
Deanne, You may qualify right now. I'd have to go over your insurance in detail with you to find out. For now....suggest: No liquids during meal or 30 minutes after so you don't liquify the intake and swi**** through. Everyone will experience emptiness or hunger if their pouch is always empty. Protein will increase your satiety. Carbs increases your craving for more carbs so they're good to purge while you're trying to lose. Congrats on your 3 weekly exercise sessons! Low energy can often be explained by low iron, low B12 or other B's, and/or low protein. Also, this time of year people slow down on their water intake and our body signals mix up hunger with thirst. Nausea can be a result of bein dehydrated. Good luck with your Scottsdale appt. If you'e still hunting for answers then give me a call at Dr. Simpson's office. He leads the southwest in revisions. (602) 234-8995 Take care sweetie! Joyce
Deanne K.
on 11/16/06 12:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Joyce, Wanted to update you. My Surgeon's office told me that I am receiving no benefit any longer from my RNY surgery. My anastamosis is too large. It is 17mm and should be 8-10mm. The food just comes out the other end. Well, I see the surgeon on Jan. 2nd to see what can be done. She was booked solid yesterday and they were ready to talk to me yesterday when I went up and saw the NP. At least they are listening to me now. Deanne
JRinAZ
on 11/16/06 11:47 am - Layton, UT
Deanne, So glad you're getting the attention you need. I must really have my measurements off cuz I thought that was around what we were supposed to be........You'll have to keep us posted (and educated) on your progress! Good luck! Hopefully you'll be a happy LOSER again soon! Joyce
KT300
on 11/16/06 1:27 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hey Deanne, Wondering if they can band you now so that you can continue losing? Can I ask how they think it happened? I just had surgery and am eating a good amount of protein and just hoping I don't stretch it out. When did you have surgery? I also have Dr. B and they certainly know what they are talking about, trust them, be wary of medical advice of the board, well meaning or not. Take care, Katie
Deanne K.
on 11/16/06 11:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
Katie, They told me that it could have gotten stretched out when I had a stricture at 1 month after surgery and when the opened the sticture it was stretched too far or it could be from over filling my pouch and it sometimes can stretch the opening from pressure. I have always been able to eat more than I should have been able to eat. I have been telling them since about 6 months after my surgery. I am now 2 years out. They have never released me from seeing them monthly as I never reached goal. I had to go get a second opinion from a gastroenterologist here in Tucson in order for them to take me seriously. He has had alot of experience with the surgery as he had one surgeon that sent him all of his patients. They did not like that I didn't see one of their Dr.'s, but my PCP was tired of the run around with them. I do trust Dr. B to know what she is doing. I want to hear what she recommends doing before I make any decisions or consider the risks. Deanne
Most Active