Hello - new to the message board

maxaz1
on 10/25/06 11:09 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Good morning- I have been reading posts for a while, but have been a silent observer. Thought I would jump in this morning, and become an "official" member of this fine community. I have been fighting with my insurance company for a long time now, and I am determined to have this surgery. In fact, when we started thejourney, my friend and I were sure that I would get through the process first, since I had already been through muchof the preparation, appointments, etc., but then her insurance authorized, while mine still refuses. Arghhhhh. As I watch my friend, who had her surgery on 10/4, literally melt away, I am so excited for her and frustrated for me! Anyway - this is my introduction. I am an Arizona State employee, and am locked in a fight to the end, with UHC. The State self-insures, so UHC gets to direct questions to my employer, and visa versa. I think the key, though, will be the second sleep study that I have scheduled for myself. They said I was "borderline" originally, and I wish I had pursued it - I think it would have made a difference. The doctor's office, when I began the process 2 years ago, was very helpful, and was a huge advocate. Not any more, so I'm kinda on my own with this. Reading your posts, and being so excited for you all has made me more determined to "git er done!" Enough for today - I'll be back! Maxine
Darlene X
on 10/26/06 12:52 am - Maricopa, AZ
Welcome Maxine!!! Good luck with insurance, I know it can be frustrating but you have a great attitude! Darlene 338/203/170
Sandi F
on 10/26/06 4:32 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi Maxine, I am in the same boat as you as a State of AZ employee with UHC. My surgeon's office will be submitting to the insurance for the first time on Mon. What did they deny you for? Any help you can provide based off of your experience with them would be much appreciated. Thanks, Sandi
maxaz1
on 10/26/06 5:15 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Sandi- They are just messing with us. First, way back, they denied me for not having been through the 6 mo medically supervised diet; then, after I had done that, they said I hadn't (just repeating what they had said earlier), plus, they said I did not have comorbidities (I have uncontrolled hypertension, a high enough BMI, GERD, and joint wear and tear problems and pain. But - darn it I don't have diabetes or heart problems. I also did not have apnea on record. Hoping to fix that soon. The main thing is DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED WHEN/IF YOU ARE DENIED . I did - the denial is always worded so absolutely, i.e., Not gonna happen. No chance. No way. Give up now. Don't waste your time. And then I wasted a lot of time, and ended up having to repeat tests, and much of the process. Once you have submitted, stick with it! Learn from my experience. Who is your surgeon? Is the office staff helpful? SBC used to be, but "there have been changes". Look me up in the DES Global listing or on the DOA Employee website directory, and give me a call. Let's talk. It's a tricky process, since the State is determined to prevent as many of these as possible. Maxine
Most Active