Has anyone with sleep apnea improved their condition followng WLS?

carolem
on 10/25/06 4:50 am - Austin , TX
I'm one of the unfortunate ones that needs to be fitted for one of those CPAP machines because my sleep apnea is causing the right side of my heart to be significantly enlarged. I'm hoping down the way, maybe 6 months when I have lost a significant amount of weight that I may not need this. It's probably wishful thinking, but what's scary is if I hadn't had the cardiac requirement for this surgery, I would have never known this was a problem until something serious happened. They say sleep apnea can even cause a stroke, so I guess I need to quit complaining and just get on with the program. I was on the sleep apnea board looking at some of the comments and one man kind of put in in perspective, he said the fear of "dying" kind of motivated him to make the best of it and work with it to lessen his fears. I'm hoping some of you out there are post surgery and have had positive results with sleep apnea. Love to hear from you. My surgery is next month, the 29th if they can get this CPAP in time. Carole M
CKoehlerGMa
on 10/25/06 5:09 am
Carole While every person is different, I am happy to say I am FREEEE of my CPAP machine. I had severe sleep apnea before my surgery mostly caused by my weight. A few weeks ago I noticed that I was uncomfortable with it on at night versus before when I was uncomfortable breathing without it at night. I tried it one night without and my hubby said I made no noises like I used to, plus I slept like a baby. I have not used it since and I feel great!!! So, I am proof it can happen. I hope it will be the same for you. I know my DR said losing the weight will make a difference. Good Luck..Keep us informed. Claudette
horizontallychallenged
on 10/25/06 9:28 am
Where is the sleep apnea board? I would like to go there. I have sleep apnea but only during the REM portion so I only hold my breath when I start dreaming and my oxygen sats would drop down into the low 60's from the high 90's. I have a full mask (CPAP) with 2.5 lpm oxygen supplemented while I sleep now. I've gotten to where I can handle it. For the first 3-4 months I woke up with my mask off but my body didn't like being without oxygen so as soon as I started holding my breath I woke up. You can sleep with your head under the covers and the pillow now, you'll have your own air supply!!
carolem
on 10/25/06 10:03 am - Austin , TX
Under Tall, You go in under other Medical Conditions and click on Sleep Apnea and you'll see their message board. The posted messages are all from people with the condition. Your pressure is so low, It's a wonder you even need it. This is such a wierd condition. Hope the board helps you. CaroleM
horizontallychallenged
on 10/25/06 10:41 am
Thank you, I found the message board. My CPAP pressure is 13, my oxygen level is 2.5 lpm. I was so hypoxic at night that they said I had extreme and serious apnea, I didn't even know I had it a little bit let alone...EXTREME?!?!?! A lot of people don't have supplemental oxygen with their CPAP, just the pressure. I don't know if my pressure at 13 is low or not, I will go read about it. Thank you for the info.
paulacohen
on 10/26/06 12:20 pm
I think it's www.apneasupport.org - lots of good info
Most Active