Insurance fight

mmackey
on 10/19/06 5:24 am - Tucson, AZ
Anyone fight with Tricare Prime to get Lap Band instead of gastric bypass(and succeed)? My Doctor finally sent in my referral to see a bariatric surgeon which my insurance fully covers. I recently considered saving money to get Lap Band surgery done in Tijuana with my sister and discussed this with my Doctor and she immediately sent in my referral to Tricare because she would prefer I get American medical care. So here lies the rub. I can save for the next few years to get Lap Band or I can get Gastric Bypass fully covered by my insurance within the next few months. Either way each form of bariatric surgery would be a benefit to my life & health. Does anyone know how to go about putting some pressure on TriCare regarding Lap Band? Is it even worth it? Does anyone know why they don't cover for Lap Band? Michelle Mackey Tucson, AZ 263lbs/BMI 44 Referral sent for bariatric surgery 10/17/06
vquigley
on 10/19/06 11:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Michelle, I have Tricare also and didn't even fight with them about lapband because I felt I really didn't have the time to waste fighting because of all my co-morbidities and wanted to have the surgery done as soon as possible. They approved me first time through for RNY and I had surgery July 31. Good luck! Virginia
mmackey
on 10/20/06 12:18 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks Virginia. It was mainly out of curiousity that I asked and my sister is getting Lap Band thru her insurance. I also have co-morbidities and it took me almost 2 years to finally seek help from my PCM. Had to get rid of my first PCM and I am very impressed with my new PCM at Davis Monthan AFB. My referral was sent to TriCare on Tues the 17th and I was approved in 48 hours!! I just received my approval letter for RNY to see Dr. Villares in Phoenix. I'm scheduled for the seminar on Nov 28th and Nov 29th I meet with Villares. There is a possibility I can go to the Oct 24th Seminar but only if there's a cancellation. I'm feeling a bit stunned and excited that this is finally going to happen. Thanks again! Michelle
Most Active