Feeling all alone in Phoenix

kita9375
on 9/11/06 10:12 pm - Tolleson, AZ
I feel there is a secret too getting the help I need. Maybe I dont know the right questions to ask and I definitely dont know the right numbers to call. I do not have a PCP and I cant seem to find one that can accomodate me. I am approx 615lb and have very bad joint pain. In the past year I have left my house 3 times. 2 of them were to the emergency room and yesterday I attempted to get to a doctors appt for what I thought would be a journey into the right direction. It was a womans clinic, the information I got on the doctor was she was bariatric certified which is why I chose her. Not only does she not do the surgery her office was ilequipped(excused the spelling) for a person of my size. I rented a wheelchair so I could get to the office. It would not fit through any of the doors. The table would not support me, Couldnt even get my blood pressure checked. While I was there lets discuss the female problems HA what a joke. Nothing they can do for me. DIdnt even offer a breast exam. Total waste of my time. She gave me some numbers that MAY be able to assist me but of course she didnt know for sure. Told me to call a hospital they MAY be able to tell me where to start. Damn (excuse me) is getting the information a big secret. I know its my fault I got myself into this situation for a very long time I denied that I needed the help and was very very depressed thinking I could do it on my own and consistently failing. Well with a little help from Zoloft I came to the conclusion I going to die in my house because no one can put me in the right direction. So Im asking for some answers from those who experience the same or similar problems. thank you for your time
Darlene X
on 9/11/06 11:47 pm - Maricopa, AZ
The Bridges Center or Scottsdale Bariactrics Im sure could help. My Husband had surgery with The Bridges center weighing 520lbs, their office, and all equipment is set for much larger people (Seats twice his size, large wheel chairs, scales that go high). I didnt go through Scottsdale bariactrics but Im sure it's similar, I know a very large guys who went through them. Maybe you could try them? Have you even seen if your insurance covers surgery, or will you self pay? If you have specific questions, ask us... Im sure we can all help. Darlene Surgery on 03/20/06 ----- 338/216/170 -122lbs
Paula Prichard
on 9/12/06 2:27 am - Kingman, AZ
I was only 390, but I was in similar situations. I has so much fat in my abdomin, they couldn't get to my cervix to do a pelvic for my yearly exam. I would just call your insurance, find out who is covered, and how you start getting approved. Call the surgeon's office and get an appointment for a consult. To avoid wasted trips, verify that they have equipment to help you if you are above 500 pounds since some surgeons won't help the super mobidly obese. Good luck to you, I hope this works out!
cj29
on 9/12/06 6:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
Nakita, I'm sorry you are having trouble. It seems most all of society is not equiped to handle obese patients / people from airlines to some hospitals. I would call your insurance and see who can cover you best & shop around for the right Dr. My WLS Dr. is GREAT as I'm sure you will find one as great as well. Regarding your OBGYN Dr; call your insurance and they may be able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you and I wish you success! P.S. If you don't mind me adding my opionion for whatever its worth; Only you can chose to change yourself and your current situation. I choose to LIVE and have a quality of life that I'm able to be healthier, happier and what the LORD intended. We are only here for alimited amount of time so please choose to make yourself happy. Your new WLS friend, Carrie
Linda S.
on 9/12/06 4:55 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I am sending you a hug, and some info...smile. Here is the phone number for Dr. Fang, and Dr. Juarez. Please call and ask to speak to Colene, she will send you out a packet, this is the Bridges center at St Lukes that Darlene is talking about. Do you use Dial a ride to travel? I can give you some info on them if you need it. I am leaving my phone number in your email, please call, I am home alot right now, getting ready for my surgery. Please remember, you are NOT alone.
Ayaunna
on 9/14/06 2:27 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hello Nakita, I am currently going through Scottsdale Bariatric. They have large scales, seats, tools for taking your blood pressure and the whole nine. You usually have to start by going to a seminar with them and filling out a packet. You have to get tests done before you have the surgery so if you don't have a PCP they may send you to Scottsdale Healthcare Shea, since that is where the surgery is and the have an AWESOME bariatric unit. If I were you I'd call Scottsdale Bariatric and talk to them about the issues you're having, the team there is amazingt- 800.504.9567, you can even fill out a patient packet and sign up for the seminar online. When you call you can ask for Terry the patient liason and maybe she can point you in the right direction. Check with your insurance and see if they cover any DR.'s at Scottsdale Healthcare Shea.... I'd be shocked if they couldn't help because they have all kinds of fancy stuff for us in the bariatric unit. Oh and Scottsdale Bariatric takes lots of insurance companies even medicare. I hope that I was able to help some. Shoot me a line if you'd like some assitance. I'd love to help!!! Lots of love ~ Ayaunna
Most Active