Scottsdale Bariatric or Barix Clinic

pwrightt
on 7/30/06 1:49 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I am still trying to deceide which Doctor I should go too. Why is it I don't hear much about the Barix Clinic on Periminter or Dr. Schlesinger. I am hearing wonderful things about Dr. Blackstone but because of other illnesses in my family I would like to find someone who is closer to me. What about the staff at the Barix Clinic? I'm reading horror stories about staffing for some of the other doctors. I do have to admit I was extremly impressed at the Scottsdale Bariatric seminar. By the way thank you to eveyone who emailed me on my first post. I feel so releaved that there is much support out there.
vquigley
on 7/30/06 9:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Pam, I too went to a seminar at Scottsdale Barix and really liked Dr. Schlesinger but because of insurance considerations could not have surgery at their facility. I have gone to a couple of the support group meetings and everyone I talked to that had Dr. Schlesinger really liked him. You might want to attend their support group and talk to some of the patients. I believe they have their group meetings the second Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at Barix. YOu might want to call just to confirm. Good luck in your journey, Virginia
lemarie22
on 7/30/06 9:13 am - Glendale, AZ
Scottsdale Bariatric was quite a haul for me since I live in Glendale, but I thought it was worth it. Connie
BIG F.
on 7/30/06 10:31 am - chandler, AZ
Hey Pam, DR Schlesinger at the BARIX Clinic did my surgery and I have nothing but praise for him and the Clinic. Dr S. is a bit robotic but the man knows his stuff. When I was at the Clinic there was only 2 patients on the floor. I had a room to myself and I received the attention that I thought I would get at a Scottsdale Resort. My wife who is also going to have surgery said she was amazed at the care I received. This is just my opinion. Keep in mind, WLS is the only thing they do at that facility Do your research. Lamont
JRinAZ
on 7/30/06 12:32 pm - Layton, UT
Hey Pam, I have heard great things about Barix and Mayo. I don't think we hear as much chatter from their patients because they may have their own support thing going on. But....the occasional folks that have come to our Chandler Support meetings from there have praised it and are doing great! ...... I'd suggest checking the state site of complaints for surgeons.......going to the free seminars and then just go with who you feel has a comprehensive (before and after care with support groups) program and who takes your insurance. Good luck!!!! It's an amazing journey! Joyce
ConnieS
on 7/30/06 12:39 pm - Northern, AZ
If you're looking for something on the north side, I want to echo what Joyce said about Mayo Clinic. The clinic is on Shea, and the hospital is off 56th St just south of the 101. I have gotten all my medical care there for years, and you won't find a better hospital in the Valley (or the State or the West Coast for that matter). The care they provide, and the positive, always polite attitude with which they provide it - cannot be beat. They do have a support group that meets at the hospital, though I've not yet attended. If I decide to have surgery, I will probably go elsewhere, but only because Mayo does not do LapBand and that's the only kind I think I'm willing to submit to. But if you're set on RNY, I'd at least check into having it done at Mayo. I almost decided to do RNY only because I didn't want anyone but a Mayo doctor touching me.
Arizona_Sun
on 7/31/06 10:19 am - Gilbert, AZ
Dr. S. is a great surgeon and the nursing staff when I was there as a patient was fantastic. The downside of Barix is they do not have an ER or ICU. I find their long term program lacking, but perhaps it has changed since I quit going early on because I found it lacking. Dr. S has a lot of experience and was well rated at the time that I used him. I had no complications from my surgery with leaks, stoma, etc. I did develop a hernia, but I also fell at 10 days post-op and suspect that is why I had the hernia. And, yes, Dr. S is very robotic when you see him for the initial session. He is a nice man and as a new post-op you will find that he is on top of calling back if you have an issue. Sandy
pwrightt
on 7/31/06 12:45 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Thank you once again to all the replied. I just found out today Scottsdale and Arizona Barix Bariartic centers are out of my network. Really bummed. So I am going to try the Mayo hospital off 56th street and 101. They are in my network. I just need to find a doctor that is in my network and will perform the operation at that hospital. A little setback but it will just make me work harder.
Most Active