Why did I have surgery ?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/06 12:22 pm - Gilbert, AZ
TurkeyBird C, Thank you for the wisdom. I am glad it is not just me. I will keep posting to your replys.
thoughtpenumbra
on 7/21/06 2:37 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Jeremy, I got mine on 07/10 and I know exactly how you feel. I was just feeling this way actually.. and got on here to find your post! How relieving! I really felt alone and sad. Reading everyones responses to you has really helped! Thank you so much for your honesty. You've said everything I feel and couldnt bring myself to say!
humtoos
on 7/21/06 5:07 pm - phoenix, AZ
Jeremy it will get better, I too had surgery by Blackstone on 06.06.06. My bmi was 65. I am currently 6 weeks and have lost 73lbs, Please remember I'ts not how you start it's how you finish. Best of luck and God Bless
Tiffany McGee
on 7/21/06 11:45 pm - Glendale, AZ
Oh Jeremy! I'm sorry to hear that you are depressed. I'm working on day 5 of my 10 day liquid/soft foods diet pre-surgery. My surgery is 7/28/06 and I'm a very sad about all the things I can't eat anymore. And it is taking all my will power (what little I have) to not eat the things I want. I drove past my favorite resteraunt yesterday. And I wanted so bad to stop in and eat my goodbye to foods dinner. But I know I can't so I was a little weepy when I finally got home. Try SF Fudgesicles or popsicles. They are currently a blessing for me. To get happy, maybe think of all the things you will be able to do with your munchkin. Play sports (Football, soccer, basketball), running, playing, etc. It will get better as each day goes (so I hear). Good Luck to you! Tiff
Kathleen H.
on 7/22/06 1:20 am - Mesa, AZ
Jeremy, I'm not banded yet so I don't have that experience yet but wanted to send you a HUG! I have read a lot of posts on the main OH Lap Band page and one thing everyone talks about is that feeling of Buyer's Remorse, they miss thier food and old ways of eating. From what I've seen it usually hits a few days after being banded but it doesn't last long...not to mention that you don't have a lot of carbs in you giving you that seratonin calmness. Don't give up and keep the faith in that band! And in the future when I get mine and have my Buyer's Remorse time you can remind me of this and tell me how much you love it! Take care and keep in touch! Kathleen
lemarie22
on 7/22/06 2:07 am - Glendale, AZ
Jeremy, You didn't give up food, you are just redefining your relationship with it. I can really relate to what you are going through because in the beginning I really missed having a huge steak dinner, ordering a big ol' Mexican combo plate and getting that stuffed feeling after a big meal. This really did pass. At about 6 months, when I went out with friends for a meal, at the end, they were unbuttoning the top button of their pants, moaning and rolling out of the restaurant. I felt great and wondered why I ever thought overeating was a good thing. It did take me a while for my head to feel full at the same time that my tummy did, but that comes with time. You'll get to the point where you can eat anything you want, but just not as much. If I want a steak I can have some steak. I can't eat 1/2 a cow anymore, but I can have 3 or 4 ounces and I'm satisfied with that. I can eat a few bites of chocolate or a bite of cake and that's enough to satisfy me. As you go through this journey, you'll find what works best for you. I know that Scottsdale Bariatric has some pretty strict rules to follow and I know that there are lots of people who are Carb Nazis. I had to find what was going to work best for me. Many surgeons are adament about only eating 3 times a day. I end up with blood sugar issues so I eat 5 times a day. That's what works for me, but not for everyone. I do eat a carb once in a while. I make sure I get my protein and veggies in first and I've maintained my weight that way without feeling deprived. I know this is hard, but you'll get the hang of it. Once your energy returns and you become more and more active, you'll find that you don't need food to fill a void as much as you did before. Hang in there, Connie
mmswarowski
on 7/22/06 9:08 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Jeremy, I am pre op so it is not easy for me to understand what you are going thru....but I have been thinking about you all day....if your ears ring when someone is talking about you...what happens when someone is thinking about you? . The only thing I could equate your situation to was when I quit smoking several years ago. I knew it was the right thing to do, I knew it would add years to my life and greatly improve my quality of life, much like this surgery. I did however miss it so....when I was driving, when I was drying my hair, my last cigarette with my husband in the evenings....man it was so tough..even knowing it was the best answer. My good news is that it does pass, I can't say that I never think about smoking anymore (that would be a big fat lie) but it is not often and it is not intense....it is just that a passing thought. So I am thinking that the same thing will happen to you.....when you are fully recouped and able to do new things and start feeling really good, all those new things will become your new friends and you won't miss your old one as much. Hope things get better for you each day!!!
LuvinMe Again
on 7/22/06 5:29 pm
Jeremy, I am 7 weeks out and I went through the exact same thing you are going through. For about 2 weeks (I'd say it was about weeks 3 and 4), I was extremely depressed and wanted food so badly. I was so mad at myself for getting to the point where I needed to do this to be healthy. I guess my best advice is to just let yourself feel the grief and, at the same time, keep reminding yourself why you did this. It will get better. I still have moments now and then when I feel depressed or upset because I can't eat "normally", but they pass fairly quickly now. If you don't start feeling better soon, be sure to get some help! Hang in there. JAMI
Kathy S.
on 7/23/06 3:01 am - PHX, AZ
Jeremy, Hi......I've been where you are now and trust me this too will pass. You aren't even two weeks out so be easy on yourself. Your insides are still trying to figure out what happened and your mind is still catching up too. It is crazy to go from virtually tons of food to bitefuls! You are freed from the chains of food.....I knew that immediately. If you went to a restaurant and even attempted to eat what you did before it would end up with you being miserable and in the bathroom! At ten weeks out I find myself missing the food mostly in restaurants with others. I play a stupid game with myself and choose my "preop meal" first then scour the menu for something to eat that I can at this point. ...you have to be creative. I look at both choices and I can see how I got as heavy as I did. I am working on focusing on what I can do now versus ten weeks ago. I went to Diamondbacks game and had to climb 35 rows up in the upper section and I DID IT without stopping or gasping for air with my coworkers watching. Your energy will pick up in the next few weeks and the heat isn't helping. Stay hydrated as best as you can rest when you need to. By the holidays all of us "summer babies" are going to be smaller, healthier and well on our ways! As I have said before, this group is a super place for support. Hang in there and know each day you get through it will be easier. Kathy
BIG F.
on 7/23/06 7:35 am - chandler, AZ
Thanks Kathy, I found your response to be very helpful. Lamont
Most Active