new to site and have questions

Ayaunna
on 6/3/06 5:07 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hello All! I am trying to get laparscopic RNY. I have a consultation scheduled for this Thursday with Eric Schlienger @ Barix Clinics. Has anyone on here gone through them before? Does anyone have United Healthcare? What was your approval time? How long did you have to wait from your initial consultation til your surgery? ANY info is GREATLY appreciated. I was originally going to go through Scottsdale Bariatric but there wait is too long for me. I went to there seminar and filled out the new patient packet. When I dropped off my packet I was told they (scottdale bariatric) was behind AND they were scheduling surgeries for 2 months from now! I am SO anxious to get this surgery done! So, I am going to try my hand with Barix Clinics.
sallyann
on 6/4/06 12:55 am - page, AZ
hi Ayaunna, Welcome. I love this site and it has become my place of choice for questions and answers. I have Aetna and will have surgery with Dr Fang at St Lukes on Friday June 9th. Your ins seems much easier to work with than Aetna. I was forced to 6 months of supervised diet and exercise (which was no success at all). Good luck to you and keep us up to date ok? Have a super day! Sally
Darlene X
on 6/4/06 1:43 am - Maricopa, AZ
I have United Healthcare Choice Plus. All I needed was a BMI 40+, no diets, no weight history... I was approved in 7 days.
Arizona_Sun
on 6/4/06 1:59 am - Gilbert, AZ
Dr. Schlesinger was my surgeon and he is a very good surgeon. At the time of my surgery the clinic was new and I had the room all to myself. It almost felt like being in a country club or something. Well, not quite as I had to walk when I hurt. I don't know if he is doing lap RNY yet or not. At the time I had my surgery he was not so I had an open RNY. He also was bypassing 150 cm at the time as well. My surgery and recovery were uneventful. If your insurance requires a Center of Excellence it will not approve Barix because Barix does not have an ICU or ER (another member here had that experience with her insurance). Scottsdale Bariatric is a Center of Excellence and probably why they have a long wait. Sandy
BIG F.
on 6/4/06 6:08 am - chandler, AZ
Well, AYAUANNA, I have surgery scheduled with DR S. at Barix Clinic. I also have UHC PPO. First I will say UHC is the best, not a lot of hoops to jump thru( read my profile), no 6 month diet just BMI over 40 or if less than 40 than 2 morbid condition. As for LAP my research show that his specialty is open and that is what I'm having. Dr Steven Simon also performs surgery at Barix Clinic, Now I went to his seminars in Phoenix and he told me he taught DR S. how to do LAP (word of mouth) when I told him that I was considering going to Barix. Do your research ask a lot of questions when you see DR S. You are going to find that when he talks to you ,he seem a little rehearsed, like he has said the same thing 1000 times but he will answer all your questions. I guess I trust him with my life, well I will on the 19th. IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS E-MAIL ME. GOOD LUCK LAMONT
Most Active