Dx E’s Posts

Dx E
on 1/6/08 10:41 am
Topic: RE: The History of Weight Loss Surgery
Jason, Here's the "History" from the ASBS... http://www.asbs.org/html/story/chapter1.html It has illustrations too! A man after my own heart with that info packed post!

I just wanted to drop by an  Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your experience, questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/ It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Dx E
on 1/6/08 6:20 am
Topic: RE: requesting DX post his "shopping the perimeters" info
Lea, Hope this is the one you're looking for! The-Grocery-List Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/6/08 4:35 am
Topic: RE: Havent been on in 4ever

Hey Bean! L O N G Time no see! Hope all is going great for you and yours! Have a Great ’08! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/29/07 4:03 pm
Topic: RE: WLS cookbook
Daniel Patrick's WLS CookBook is awesome! Check out his profile at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/DanielPatrickF/ Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/29/07 3:50 pm
Topic: RE: Post-op diet

Pam, Post-Op "Diet" is very inclusive. Early on it’s limited, but I’m at over 4 ½ years post-op And I pretty much eat a balanced, nutritious diet. For an over-view of the stages building to full diet, Check out- Post-Op-Diet And for WLS-Friendly Recipes, Take a look at- Quix-Recipes LivingAfterWLS-Recipes Charlie’s-Recipes-for-Life-After-WLS RenewedReflections-Recipes OH-Recipes If you still need a WLS Cookbook?

There are Many out there. Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/27/07 2:57 pm
Topic: RE: I may have found an OA buddy

Congratulations! Wishing you and your Dad the Greatest! Onward and Upward! This can be an awesome way for you and your Dad to grow closer. Having someone who understands for support is very helpful. (for Both of you) I just wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) of the people looking into Weight Loss Surgery,  or Dramatic Lifestyle change to regain our health, but tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less hassles than the Gals due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops, Non-Ops, - new and Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That Weightloss for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/ Several of the guys there have been through NA or another 12 step system as well.

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/23/07 6:56 am
Topic: RE: jeremy norman..so sad
JoAnn, Thanks for passing on the news. So Sad to have lost 'our spiderman.' He and his wife had worked so long and overcome so much already. My heart and prayers are with his family for this holiday season. Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 1:33 pm
Topic: RE: "The BUFFET!"
Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 1:08 pm
Topic: RE: Do we malabsorb calories and fat too???

For an RNY... We mal-absorb approximately 36% of the fats ingested. It can obviously vary greatly from person to person But that's the "Average" For a Proximal RNY Bypass. (Not as great as it sounds, People who have had no surgery what-so-ever mal-absorb approximately 8% of the fats ingested) We also mal-absorb approximately 12 to 18% of the protein ingested, (depending on speed of digestive tract material, and the specific proteins) But we mal-absorb approximately only 2% of the Carbs ingested, Even lower for simple Carbs such as Sugars. However, Most Bariatric Surgeons recommend that Patients "Count" every Calorie eaten, and eat extra Protein to make sure levels are maintained. If one starts "splitting hairs" and using mal-absorption percentages To rationalize poor eating choices, they may be surprised When they realize "Too Late" that they are at one end of the spectrum Of mal-absorption, and not dead center of that Average. Yes? Follow your Doc & Your Nutritionist's recommendations.

Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:56 pm
Topic: RE: Stricture and ulcer Complications

So sorry you are having problems. Nope, not "just "normal" RNY stuff" Most of the time, Strictures will need multiple dilations. (from reading these and other WLS Boards for over 5 years, I'd nearly say "all" of the time, but there are exceptions.)

Call your Doc on Monday and tell them exactly what is happening. I’ve seen a lot of folks feel amazing and continue on to a smooth trip, but usually after their 2nd or 3rd dilation. One other tip…. If your pouch gets irritated or "Upset" one day, It will often be sensitive and easily irritated for the next couple of days. When you have an issue, give a day with very easy, soft foods To let it get over the irritation. Baby it. Still, I’d check the stricture. It is More common than not that they require multiple procedures to stretch the stoma to a proper size. Hope you are feeling better soon! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:44 pm
I'll have a post about it up on Quix tomorrow!! It's a complicated post..... See ya There!!! Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:40 pm, edited 12/14/07 12:40 pm
Topic: RE: ?Is my pouch Too Big?? -or-?Have I stretched My Pouch??

lisa, Then keep typing........ Try making "the choice" not at the table, or in the kitchen, But when still in the grocery store shopping Or in the car deciding Where to stop for a meal. Follow me for a second…. Here’s a "WFM" – (worked for me?) Take it or forget it. It’s mainly "Food Choices." **(and these are for the 4 to 6 month-plus "SOLID" choices) Its Hard to resist eating something at home- When no one is around or if you are just in the mood for a snack. And it’s hard to not order "what sounds good" when you’re Standing in line at a fast food place, prepping to order. But it’s Easy to resist items in the middle of a Crowded Grocery Store. And it’s easy to decide to pull the car into a place that doesn’t offer fried Everything, So, I’ve kept the "Food Choice" activity IN the grocery store, In the car, and Out of my home. (example- It’s easier to Not Pull into a Shop and Buy Cigarettes Than it is to Not Pull one from the pack sitting in your pocket.) Yes? The "Amount" of food you describe eating there Doesn’t seem to be "The Biggy." But the "Content" is "Normal" for a person who is headed to weight gain. That "Super-Size Me Movie?" That guy ate "Normal-Sized" McDonalds Meals 3 times a day. Not a bunch of snacking, just "Fast Food = Fried" Meals. In very short time he had gained an enormous amount of weight And his docs were giving him the – "You’re going to die" speeches. Not the "Amounts," but the Choices. As for the Emotional eating issues? Call a Counselor on Monday. Get a prescription for something to help control the Depression And set up a schedule to get some tips and tricks for Coping Mechanisms that aren’t harmful to your long term health. Yes? In the long run (even short term) It’s far cheaper than the medical bills for problems you might be Creating down the road. Yes? You can do this! Hit the phone book or web tonight, Find a good psyche-doc locally, And hit ‘em up first thing Monday Morning. I look forward to reading your Future posts of Outrageous Success!! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:21 pm

The really easy method? Reach for the "stuff at the back." All of the expensive items on a salad bar or buffet Are placed to be the most difficult to reach, And the "Cheap Crap" is very easily accessible. See if you don’t find it to be true. We were instructed to set up the Breakfast bar and salad bars That way, back when I worked at Shoney’s in college And I find it to be the case at Whole Foods, or any of the "Open Market" style restaurants or deli’s. Reach for the Back! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:15 pm
Topic: RE: "Will I ever be able to eat like a normal person?"
Courtney, Wow! What a Great Christmas Present! Hang in there through the Holidays! Those first weeks are rough for everyone Even without the added stress of the "Season." Please know that there’s a huge crowd of strangers out here Pulling for you and holding you in our prayers. May you have a famously successful surgery And a record-breaking recovery! Hurry home soon and start walking away from the pounds and into your new life!! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:04 pm, edited 12/14/07 12:04 pm
Topic: RE: x-post UPDATED PHOTO COMPARISON PICTURE!!!
Congratulations on your Awesome Progress!! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:53 am

Quiltz, Me too. The whole process of WLS is scary enough without worrying about stuff that won't eventually be an issue. I used to post here quite often, But pretty much just stay on The Men's Forum and Most often at- Quixoticwls.com  Just hoping to add a little "Long-Term" perspective. Best Wishes- Dx

Most often at-  Just hoping to add a little "Long-Term" perspective.
Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:46 am
When Alaskan King Crab become extinct, It will more than likely be my fault. And I'm doing my best with the chicken population as well! Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:43 am
Topic: RE: Some Thoughts about FEAR?..
Long Winded? Yeh, if there's one thing I can't stand, It's long posts on the Boards! OFF I'm known as "Wordy" and probably should use the avatar- Glad to be helpful in easing anxiety! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:37 am
Glad to be of Help! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:28 am

OK, Michelle! I have seen many times- "Buffet! What a Waste!" and wanted to share an alternative view… (yes, sometimes the mere mention can start a ruckus That makes "Restaurant Card Threads" seem tame…) Yes, I’m bringing up a dreaded topic- "The BUFFET!" NO Joke here…. Just a Re-Post….. _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Getting your Money’s Worth At the Buffet! Not a rant about Restaurant Cards, But Seriously- "What has Worked for Me!" I have a local Chinese restaurant That has an "All you CARE to Eat" Buffet Daily. The Lunch hours price? (college town pricing) $5.50 but they don’t offer the "Create Your Own" Mongolian Bar-B-Que option or custom Sushi Bar. In the Evenings they do as well as "Special" Items. And the Cost is $8.00. With "Drink" these jump up to $6.70 something for Lunch, $9.50 something for Diner. (I have gone there in the evening, But usually only by day. Me? No Drink ever, so that knocks 1$ off the price. I typically have Lunch there for $7.00 total After leaving approx. $1.50 for Tip. (Generous or Adequate for a $6.00 serve yourself Buffet) Just like the rest of my eating Now, It all comes down to "Food Choices." The easy "META-RULE" that will work For nearly all food choices now- "Only choose the most Expensive (per ounce/lb) Foods." And add to that- Foods, which take time/skill to eat. My "Goal" at this Buffet, I figure this way. For the $6.00, It is Extraordinary to pay only $2.00 Towards the Place Setting, Silverware use, Cooking, Ambience, Air-conditioning, etc… So I attempt to get $4.00 worth of food. Follow? Yes? I usually can get at least $6.00 worth With out Even Trying. I go for the Low-Fat Protein First And that "just happens" To coincide with The more expensive items on the buffet. Obviously Prices will vary across the nation But based on my old restaurant Kitchen work in college, And the Info I’ve "dug out of" One of my under-grads who works there, These prices are fairly close. My favorite choices marked with an asterisk or 2. (*) My "Avoids" marked with a (~) Examples- * Cured Smoked King Salmon - Approx. $19.00 lb. ..............(Only on Weekend Nights) ** King Crab Legs - Approx. $18.00 lb. (Very Slow to eat) * Jumbo Prawns/Shrimp - Approx. $15.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Slower to eat) (Only on Weekend Nights) Pepper Crusted Prime Rib - - Approx. $14.50 lb. ..............(Sunday Lunch and Evening) * Pickled Ginger - Approx. $14.00 lb. ..............(Aids Digestion, reduces Gas!) * Sea Scallops - Approx. $13.50 lb. ..............(Slow to chew) ** Steamed Razor Clams - Approx. $13.00 lb. ..............(Take Longer to Eat) * Steamed Oysters- Approx. $12.00 lb. ..............(Take Longer to Eat) * King Salmon - Approx. $10.50 lb. * Sushi Grade Tuna - Approx. $10.00 lb. Halibut - Approx. $9.00 lb. Red/Sockeye Salmon - Approx. $7.50 lb. Silver Salmon - Approx. $7.00 lb. * Bulk Nuts (non-peanuts) - Approx. $6.75 lb. Common block Cheese ..............(Cheddar, Swiss, Colby, etc) - Approx. $5.50 lb. * Medium to Small Shrimp - Approx. $5.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Slower to eat) * Spicy Steamed Tilapia Fish - Approx. $5.00 lb. Five Spiced Ham – ..............(Averaging Actual Ham and Processed) - Approx. $5.00 lb. * Steamed Local Crawfish - Approx. $5.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Very Slow to eat) Beef (Roast or Tips) - Approx. $ 4.00 lb. * Asian Style Ribs (Cooked, Bone in)- - Approx. $4.00 lb. ..............(Double the price for not eating the Bone) Chicken Tenders (Real, not Processed/Minced) - Approx. $ 3.00 lb. Cod Fillets (as in Fish and chips) - Approx. $3.00 lb. "Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan" - Approx. $2.50 lb. Meatballs/Pot-Stickers/Meat Dumplings - Approx. $2.50 lb. ~ (ick!) Faux Seafood Salad ..............(imitation crabmeat) - Approx. $2.00 lb. ** Lychee Nuts ..............(Rough outer skin to peel-takes more time) - Approx. $2.00 lb. * Fresh Strawberries - - Approx. $1.75 lb. ~ Breaded (Sweet and Sour anything "chunks"– General) ..............- Approx. $1.75 lb. Seedless Grapes - Approx. $1.75 lb. * Mixed Steamed Vegetables - Approx. $1.75 lb. ~ American (Processed Cheese-Food) Bulk/Block - Approx. $1.50 lb. Grape/Cherry Tomatoes- Approx. 1.50 lb. * Snow Peas - - Approx. $1.50 lb. Fresh Tomatoes (Bulk Price) - Approx. $1.25 lb. * Fresh Peppers (Bulk Price) - Approx. $1.25 lb. Fresh Vegetables (In General) - Approx. $1.25 lb. Chicken (Fried on Bone) - Approx. $0.75 lb. ~ (ick) Breaded Processed ..............(from Minced) Shrimp- Approx. $0.70 lb. -before cooking. ~ Chicken or Pork Dishes Battered/Fried/Sauced- Approx. $0.70 lb. ~ Breaded Fish Sticks- Approx. $0.65 lb. -before cooking. ~ Egg Rolls (With Shrimp-bits) - $0.65 lb. ~ Egg Rolls (No Meat) - $0.60 lb. ~ Pizza Rolls (Bulk price) - Approx. $0.04 each -$0.60 lb. -before cooking. Chicken Wings - Approx. $ 0.50 lb. ~ Egg Foo Yung - - Approx. $0.45 lb. * Steamed Cabbage - Approx. $0.40 lb. ~~~ Tater Tots (Bulk Price) – Approx./Average- $0.40 lb. ~~~ Bulk Mac & Cheese- Approx. - $0.40 lb. ~~ Fried Potatoes (General Bulk) - Approx. $0.35 lb. -before cooking. ~~ Bulk Noodles (general) – Approx./Average- $0.35 lb. Hot and Sour Soup - Approx./Average - $0.35 lb. ~~ Wontons (Fried Crisp) - Approx./Average- $0.30 per pound ~~ Bulk Rice (Cooked/Steamed) – Approx./Average- $0.15 lb. ~~ Mashed Potatoes (from instant) – Approx./Average- $0.20 lb. ~~ "Chinese Doughnuts" - Approx. $0.20 lb. Egg Drop Soup - Approx. $0.15 lb. (Soothing but not "filling") Watermelon (Bulk Price) - Approx. $0.15 lb. Bulk Restaurant Pudding- Approx. $0.10 lb. Sweet and Sour Sauce - Approx. $0.05 lb. Wonton Soup - Approx. $0.05 lb. Bulk Restaurant Jell-O- Approx. $0.02 lb. I tend to average out at $12.50 per lb. Choice When the items are combined. And I typically eat about 8 to 10 ounces, Up to a full pound depending on time and food density How heavily I hit the King Crab Legs, And Shellfish Giving me about $8.50 worth Of Low fat Protein First, then usually a little Veggies and a Lychee Nut or 2 and A few Walnuts for "dessert." Now-a-days, I More than Get "My Money’s Worth." But I think about my Past- Started by Ordering a large Sweet Tea, Filled my plate with Rice or Noodles, Then smother it in Breaded, Fried, Sauced Chicken Bits, Couple of Egg Rolls, With lots of Sweet and Sour Sauce Hit the "Non-Asian Items" Such as a Bowl of Tater-Tots, Fried "Potato Logs," and a handful of pizza rolls. Go back for some more rice With Sweet Sauce and pork over it And a couple of pieces of Fried Chicken. Finish off with 3 "Chinese Doughnuts" With plenty of pudding to dip them in. Probably 4 to 5 Pounds of Food And an Over Priced Beverage. But at an Average of around $0.45 per lb. Even if I could eat 8 lbs. of food at that rate, ($3.60 worth of actual food) I was still not "Getting my Money’s Worth!" Now not every Buffet Has the same ingredients obviously, But the Same "META-RULE" Applies. Go for the MOST EXPENSIVE Items, (With the exception of Cheese Cake,) and They will normally be Higher in Protein, Lower in Fats, Carbs and Calories. If you find an Asian Buffet, That doesn’t have the King Crab Legs, Keep looking. Many Do. Eating Healthy, Is the Only way to Actually "Get your Money’s Worth." Why would I want To use a "Restaurant Card" Now? Before, I was making them a huge profit, Now, I’m sure they Shudder When they see me coming for my 8 to 10 Choice ounces! Take a look at a Buffet with new eyes! It CAN BE one of the most Cost-Effective Meals out there. Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:09 am

Well one more Re-Post for those with Anxiety... --------------------------------------------- I see this question a lot from folks prior to surgery- "Will I ever be able to eat like a normal person?" Not only from those in their first week of- "What the He11 did I do to Myself!?!?" But a lot of pre-Ops. This is one of those things that people Actually worry about A good deal. In fact, it’s one of those things that people, Specifically, People who have not had Gastric Bypass Use to persuade others NOT to have RNY Gastric Bypass Or even WLS in general! Here’s how some of this is "Manifest" "Just Diet and Exercise More….." "You’ll be Living on a Diet…" "A Diet with a Scar!" "Living on those Protein Shakes!" "You’ll spend your life measuring out meals in ice-cube trays…" "Un-able even to chew gum for the rest of your life…" "Never being able to taste a beer again as long as you live?" "…A life of daily vomiting, you might as well be bulimic!" "After one year of loosing they all gain it back anyway…." "You’ll never able to eat like a human again…" "…want to still eat more than three peas and a crouton for dinner." So, am I able to eat like a normal person? Yes! Am I able to eat like a 385+lb man? Who is steadily gaining weight toward an early grave? NO! That’s the Deal. I’m no longer a "Member in Good Standing" of the Clean Your Plate Club!  When eating out, no cards, not even "doggy bags" anymore. I do what the other 6’1"-182lb men do- I eat until I’m full & satisfied and stop. I make healthy food choices Rather than ones based on whether or not I find them –"Comforting." Because I’m not carrying those extra 200+ pounds I easily get exercise without too many hassles at all. Yep, I have the occasional Beer, Wine etc… I Chew Gum (while walking :lol: ) Sugar? Well I eat a lot more of it than Aristotle, Plato, Jesus, etc…. In fact, More than most everyone prior to massive Slavery in the West Making it something that the world was plagued with. Popped up about the same time as tobacco and equally "essential" for life. Do I have Protein Shakes every day? Nope, I get my Protein in from Meat, cheese, eggs and Legumes. An RNY’er Who Eats Meat!?! Even Red Meat? And Doesn’t Live on Shakes?!? Yep. And it’s not uncommon no matter what The "Nay-Sayers" might present as "The Truth." Do I still Dump at 4 ½ years out. If I eat Much Sugar at all, Yes! How many times I’ve "dumped" in the last 3 years? Once! Does the threat of "dumping" over-shadow my life? No. Rich Foods? For me, a touch of intestinal discomfort, If I eat too much overly rich foods. (A GREAT DEAL of Fat, Butter, or Cream. Think very fatty Steak with Bernaise Sauce) Strangely enough This is often the case of Non-WLS people as well. They just call it "Indigestion." Living on a Diet?……Diet? For those who have not completely forgotten the definition, Yes! According to Webster- "The usual food and drink consumed by an organism (person or animal)." So that’s it… "Usual!" For those early out of surgery Still stuck on liquids, Wondering if they’ll just have to get used to this And for those who are Avoiding Gastric Bypass Or any WLS for that matter, Out of Anxiety that they will "Not be able to Eat like a Normal Person," Or that they will- "Never be Normal," In My Humble Opinion, And My Experience So Far, Nothing could be further than the truth! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:00 am
Topic: RE: ?

Hey Sweetie! You and I will both be on the road to Texas! I’m headed out on the 17th. I’ll tell them to "be on the look out!" (M.N. I can personally vouch for several, but particularly the "7 Layer Gratin." It was a very tasty way to use up leftover Turkey from a big holiday meal "send off" for my students last week.) Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 12/14/07 10:41 am
Topic: RE: ?
The Gal "In the Know!" is Charlie. This is the link in her signature.- Find a recipe here! The image She has SUPER RECIPES!!! I'm just another one of her Fans! Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 10:37 am
I've stumbled across 4 or 5 folks today dealing with the "Pre-Op Jitters" And thought I'd drop it out. Hope it's helpful to some... Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 12/14/07 10:36 am
Most Active