Dx E’s Posts

Dx E
on 7/29/04 10:40 am
Topic: RE: 1 Week post-op reporting back
Welcome back Glenda, Hang in there, Those first few weeks are the pits. It gets better all the time. Keep sipping tha****er and walking all you can tolerate. Congrates on coming home, Dx
Dx E
on 7/29/04 10:32 am
Dx E
on 7/28/04 4:14 am
Dx E
on 7/28/04 3:56 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 11:00 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 10:56 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 10:10 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 10:04 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 9:30 am
Dx E
on 7/26/04 9:15 am
Topic: RE: GROUCHY & SORE.....
Well Queen Arlies, It's good to see another Mississippian out here on the "open-seas" of the Main Message board. Our state page gets so little action lately. Thanx for spreading sunshine, and information nationally as well- Dx
Dx E
on 7/26/04 9:01 am
Topic: RE: EFA's How much to we need - Repost for new members
Thanx for the great info Dame T. Keep re-posting every week for those just coming on. Praise from a fellow nutrition geek- Dx
Dx E
on 7/26/04 8:58 am
Topic: RE: How to get motivated to exercise
Sandy, Add a little bit wherever you can. Once you feel up to it, start parking far from the entrance to stores. Go to the mall, A big one and try to see what is in every shop that might interest you. If there is a beach or lake nearby, take a mini-vacation to there. You can walk further on a beach because it's hard to tell how far you've gone, when suddenly you realize you have to walk back. I don't know what stage in you're post-op you are but start slow and build. Walking is always great. A little bit more each week will do the trick. Don't think you have to be doing "Winsor Pallattes." Just get some motion. Dx
Dx E
on 7/26/04 8:52 am
Topic: RE: repost: update on me-dehydration and burning pouch
Rachel, Congratulations on finding the problem. Here's praying for a quick fix and recovering. Dx
Dx E
on 7/26/04 7:22 am
Topic: RE: diet V8 splash
Love it! It's packed with vitamins and has very low calories and a low glycemic index. It's not as pricey in the 2 liter bottles. Tropical blend is my favorite. Dx
Dx E
on 7/22/04 4:13 am
Dx E
on 7/21/04 7:35 am
Topic: RE: ok this is my fear
I went from 370 lbs. 07/03 to 214 lbs. today (07/04) I never had the hair loss problem because I kept my protein levels up. The two protein drinks that I stayed with were Promote - It has a full range of vitamins as well, and Glucerna -for diabetics, it doesn't have quite as much protein as the Promote but it tastes much better. My Dr. set me at 95 grams a day. I also used the whey powder and once I was up to "mushy foods" I dropped a bit of textured Vegetable Protein into all soups and such. If some of you out there haven't found Textured Vegetable Protein yet, it's great. Super easy on the pouch and it mixes with anything and takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in. Textured vegetable protein, 1 oz. (30g) Calories: 80 Protein: 15g Carbohydrate: 9g Total Fat: 0.3g Fiber: 6.0g *Excellent source of: Iron (10mg) I'm not able to have regular Soy because I'm on Coumadin for a previous Heart valve replacement, but because Textured vegetable protein is not as good a source for isoflavones (phytoestrogens) as are most soy products, it does not have the typical interaction problems with my "blood thinner.". Isoflavones are compounds thought be largely responsible for many of the health benefits associated with eating soy. Therefore, eating textured vegetable protein is unlikely to contribute substantially to the potential health benefits derived from eating other soy foods, such as miso and tofu, just the protein benefits. That's my secret to a full head of hair and a steady losing streak. Best wishes to you, I'm a protien geek- Dx
Dx E
on 7/21/04 7:19 am
Topic: RE: Freaking out!!!
The pain is less than you imagine. Breath! Have a great day tomorrow. Enjoy the IV drugs. They were great. Best wishes and prayers for your surgery- Dx
Dx E
on 7/21/04 7:01 am
Topic: RE: For those of you with a sweet tooth-
Erica, I use the liquid and just put in a drop. If it needs to be sweeter I'll add a second. It's great for sweet tea, and in my skim milk on cereal. Best of luck- Dx
Dx E
on 7/21/04 6:52 am
Topic: RE: I have a question?????
Hi Kate, I'm an 11month out. From 370 lbs to 214 lbs. as of today. I hit Plateaus all along the way. They don't last. Your metabolism is adjusting to your new diet and your system is re-learning how to absorb enough nutrients. If your "plateau" last for more than four weeks, then ask your Dr., or increase your walking. With me, typically I just start losing weight again after about a two to three week plateau, whether or not I change anything I'm doing. Have patience. You will lose. I have found a trick to sneak more exercise into my daily routine- I work for a University and have a new rule; I only use the restroom in a building across campus. Since I'm still drinking water like a fiend, it forces me to walk an extra mile or two everyday. That's not much of an answer, but it's just my experiences. If you're curious about anything, not just when you're concerned, call your Dr. and have him or her explain anything to you, not just quick answers. And don't save your questions for your check-ups. If they were competent to perform the procedure, they're your best source of answers. Hope this is some help, Dx
Dx E
on 7/21/04 6:41 am
Dx E
on 7/21/04 5:49 am
Topic: RE: For those of you with a sweet tooth-
For those of you who have a "sweet tooth," have you tried Stevia yet? It's not an artificial sweetener; it's just a naturally sweet, sugarless plant. It's been widely used in Japan since the 60's. Kroger sells it in the "natural-foods" section of the store, and you can certainly find it at any health food store. My sister, who is way into herbal remedies and such, introduced it to me. It's great and has none of the drawbacks of aspartames, or splenda, and it doesn't cause dumping. Go to the website stevia.net to check it out, It's been great for me, Dx
Dx E
on 7/21/04 5:45 am
Dx E
on 7/17/04 6:57 am
Topic: RE: I just weighed myself...
Hey Roger, Congratulations Dude! Glad that you're well on your way to a new, healthy life. I've gone from Approx.370lbs 08/03 to 214lbs 07/17. I'm walking about 3 miles every other day and have started working out with weights 3 days a week. I never had the hair loss issues that some have and I am following the diet information from my Dr. religiously. It's good to see a few more guys out here. We make up a tiny minority of the people who have WLS, but tend to have a super success rate with losing. Best wishes for your continued success. Dx
Dx E
on 7/16/04 2:47 am
Topic: RE: don't wanna sound stupid, but...........
Chazlin, It means, in Italian, literally - "to the tooth." It's a cooking term for pasta or rice that's cooked just enough to leave a chewy-ness to it. Most Americans over cook our pasta to the point of making it a bit mushy. If you cook it the way it is served at most restaurants it should be fine. Check out Molto Mario on the food network. He rocks! Dx
Dx E
on 7/16/04 2:19 am
Topic: RE: Constant diarrhea?? Post-ops?
NO! I'm now 11 months post-op and have no problems with diarrhea or irregularity. I'm one of those rare individuals that had extreme complications, and even with them I was up and going after the 3rd month. I've gone from - 370lbs 08/03 to 215lbs 07/16/04. I had heard about a life of diarrhea after the surgery as well, and this may be the case for some, but clearly not all of us. Dx
Most Active