Has been Moved to-
QuixoticWLS.org

Best Wishes-
Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Dx E
on 5/1/08 2:37 pm
Topic: RE: Hello from an Old Timer

I remember!!!!! Hey there Miss Delightful!! 15 pounds?  No Biggie, We’ve both seen folks with much bigger re-gains Drop back down again. What matters is Life is Moving on With outrageously exceptional improvements To Health, and happiness. So glad to see you still doing well. I’m rarely here and fortunate to drop by and see your post! I just got back from the West Coast tonight. Oregon... I’m doing Great! Healthy and Happy and dealing with life as it comes. as always---  Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 4/30/08 1:33 pm
Topic: RE: Water Retention(please help)!!

Derrick, Yo Bro! How ya doin?!?! Haven’t seen you in a while. Water retention? Check with your doc, and in the meantime Try some Natural Diuretics added to your dietary intake- Asparagus contains a chemical alkaloid that boosts kidney performance, thereby improving waste removal from the body. Beets are natural diuretic foods that attack floating body fats and fatty deposits. Oats contain silica - a natural diuretic. Cabbage is known to aid breakage of fatty deposits, especially around the abdominal region. Carrots are a rich source of carotene that speeds the metabolic rate of the body and hastens removal of fat deposits and waste. Lettuce aids better metabolism and flushing of toxins. Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C that aid the metabolism and release of water from the kidney to flush out waste. Garlic (along with it’s other benefits) is a natural diuretic food. Horseradish, raw onions and radish speed up your metabolism. And Parsley (even the tiniest bit thrown in while cooking) works as a strong diuretic. Drop back by the Men’s Board sometime! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 4/23/08 4:21 pm
Topic: RE: ***is this a sign that Gastric bypass is not for me?????***

Not a bad sign for WLS, But, this surgeon? Drop him and move on! Bariatric Surgery is a long-term commitment between Patient and Doctor. If you have doubts about this guy, Don’t allow him “elbow deep” into your guts! Look elsewhere and thank your lucky stars That you “dodged a bullet.” So Sorry you have had this to deal with. Many have and have changed to a far better situation. Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 4/23/08 3:22 pm
Topic: RE: Hello all!!! I am new.

Hey Monk! Many supportive spouses drop in and catch up with all of the latest “peer to peer” info and “tips and tricks.”  And, Many folks who are just looking to lose weight without surgery are here as well.  (Non-Ops is the slang term) I just wanted to drop out an invitation… It’s great to see other men out here, either looking into weightloss for them selves, or supporting and researching with their wife. Men make up such a small percentage (12%) of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, or participating in such message boards, but tend to reach goal weights quicker and with less (or at least Different) hassles than the Gals due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board and check out what other men like you are going through.  There are a number of guys who have gone through the whole process along with their wives.  It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc…Pre-Ops, Non-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops.  Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you and yours. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 4/20/08 12:15 pm
Topic: RE: Beans: Protein or Carb/Starch?

4 weeks? Hang in there, it just gets easier… Beans Carbs or Proteins?  Both really… ½ cup of pinto beans- 116 calories Total Carbs 22g Dietary Fiber 7g (“Net Carbs”- 15g) Sugars 1g Protein 7g

I also wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 3/16/08 4:02 pm
Topic: RE: 2 days out
Congratulations Rob. Good to hear you made it home. Hang in there. The first couple of weeks suk for just about everyone! Rest, very short walks often, keep sipping tha****er, and know that it gets easier each week.

I just wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 2/3/08 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: Double Century Card

Hey B! Have no idea about the cards, But - Congratulations and Welcome to the -200 Club! I also wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

Dx E
on 2/3/08 10:46 am
Topic: RE: Post-Op Arthritis Meds
Duh!!!! I just re-read the start of your post- 4 weeks? Yep! No NSAIDs for You Yet. Ultram maybe? Hang in there for a while. As the weight drops off and your pouch is healed up Much relief is available. My knees used to scream daily for mercy, But at half my weight, they feel better now In my early 50's than they did in my teens. Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 2/3/08 10:32 am, edited 2/3/08 10:34 am
Topic: RE: Post-Op Arthritis Meds
P, Your doc is out of step with many other Bariatric Surgeons. By all means follow YOUR Doc's advice, But do ask why he/she is dis-allowing all NSAIDs when most Centers of Bariatric Excellence do allow them for many patients, particularly when taken along with a nexium, Zantac, priosec, previcid or such. The "No NSAIDs Ever" myth that some cling to is supported by The ASBS recommendations, in regards to the initial hospital stay- “NSAIDs and corticosteroids: avoided due to hematological and gastric reasons. For example, IV ketorolac is avoided because it can cause gastric irritation and slow the healing process of a fresh gastric staple line. Also, routine use of dexamethasone is avoided to prevent gastritis and problems with healing and avoid confounding factors when evaluating the patient’s laboratory results.” I'm coming up on 5 years post-op and maintaining a normal BMI since one year after surgery. I have been on a perscription of Mobic from my Bariatric Surgeon for the last 6+months with no ill effects. I have a torn rotator cuff that needs surgery that I am putting off for a while. I know and have met about 20+ 4+year Post-ops who also have been cleared to take NSAIDs by thier docs. Check with your doc... (there in Thailand?) Hope you find relief soon.... I would also add an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards!

Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 2/3/08 10:12 am, edited 2/3/08 10:12 am
Topic: RE: AWESOME VIDEO
for those unable to click the link above... far easier to Check out...
CoolTrickOn-U-Tube Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 2/2/08 12:54 pm
Topic: RE: Mississippi's Bill to Ban FAT People From Restaurants? Or Is It a Modest Proposal?!?
:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: He's a "bomb-thrower." Just being used by others to help raise a ruckus. Perhaps he would have his picture made with us? Trip to Graceland, a Mississppi River Boat cruise, Night of Blues on Beale Street, and a chance to give Mayhall Jr. a piece of our mind? "Late night toilet paper his lawn?" :bigrofl: How Cool!!! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 2/2/08 11:42 am
Topic: RE: Weird Feeling

Hey Sweetie! Yep.  My “Yards of Scars” have been “waking up” for the past 4 years!! I still have about a 3”x4” section on my tummy that has no feeling, But it’s getting smaller each year. The edges around that space have been tingling and complaining constantly. Hope you are just having healing signs. I’ve been away from the Boards a lot lately. I’m so “out of the loop.” Hope you are doing better each day or at least keeping the docs busy Improving your health and life for the long-term. Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 2/2/08 11:28 am
Topic: RE: Mississippi's Bill to Ban FAT People From Restaurants? Or Is It a Modest Proposal?!?
Charming, Mayhall is actually just the "newbie" with the loudest voice down here. Others are using it to 'better' health conditions. I was just typing the following....

For those reading and having a knee-jerk reaction to the post- restaurants closed for feedign the obese...Please know that the article quoted there is completely a mis-representation of the “news event.”  No restaurants “Have been Closed” for serving the obese, no law has been or is even planned to be passed and no one is being discriminated against.  In fact quite the opposite. Among the many who went straight to-:panic::panic: a few seem to “get it,” and one poster got to the crux of the situation- “The article I read said the man who is proposing it said he knows it will not pass. I think it said he was trying to get attention to the problem.” In fact, Representative W.T. Mayhall, Jr (retired, Obese pharmaceutical rep.) who cooked up this “publicity stunt” along with fellow reps John Read (an Obese pharmacist and present Officer of the Public Health and Human Services Committee) and Bobby Shows (formerly Obese member of the Agriculture Committee) joined forces once again and wrote this outrageously inflammatory proposal to garner the attention of the media.  It was written, as Mayhall said, because of the “urgency of the obesity crisis and need for government action.” He hopes it will “call attention to the serious problem of obesity.” Mississippi has led the nation for highest per capita % of Obesity and Morbid Obesity for the past 6 years according to the Center for Disease Control. For the past 5 years Read and Shows have sponsored several initiatives to allocate state budgets to fund and support nutrition and exercise programs in the schools as well as secure funding to deal with the health crisis of Obesity. Their efforts have all died in committee and have garnered little more than a yawn from fellow politicians.  So, enter Jr. member Mayhall, known for being a bit of a reactionary “bomb-thrower” (and a bit of a boob) and suddenly Read and Show have a way of finally catching the ear of the State and getting people stirred up enough to show interest. Sort of a present day Modest-Proposal. Once this intentionally outrageously ridiculous proposal has quickly failed, (and Mayhall has taken the heat) Shows and Read (who have fought for funding for Obesity and Childhood Diabetes concerns for years in the state) can once again submit their requests for funding directed to serving the health needs of a state dying from Obesity.  Then, perhaps there will be enough interest and awareness to rally the state government to rational, and positive action. Simple initiatives like having the candy and coke machines withdrawn from the elementary schools, has been thwarted statewide by the fact that the vending companies give money to the schools, clearly at the cost of the kids health. Rather than condemn Mississippi and draw parallels as some have done…like- “Discrimination is Mississippi? Well Duh! Hahaha” Take a step back, and think… When you see a “Man Bites Dog!” headline….There’s probably a lot more going on behind the story that is un-reported for the sake of Drama. It’s great that so many completely reject the clearly ridiculous.  But don’t be “played.” Or Do, and resume the easier path of being greatly offended and lashing out… :panic::panic::panic::panic: Make sure to over state the issue and shout out- “Concentration Camp!” “Discrimination!”  and since it’s Mississippi, be sure to throw in “Segregation!” :panic::panic::panic::panic: Just use a good conditioner tomorrow. Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/28/08 11:31 pm, edited 1/29/08 1:16 am
Topic: RE: Arthritis - NSAIDS - Major holdback..
Your surgeon is not in step with many others. Many Bariatric Surgeons now allow NSAIDS for post-op RNY’s after the initial healing after surgery.  Some require their patients take them along with meal or even a Nexium or Prilosec. I have been on Mobic (as directed by my Bariatric Surgeon) for over 8 months for my torn rotator cuff.  No problems. I know over 20 other long term post-op RNY’ers who also have been cleared for NSAIDs. The “No NSAIDS EVER!” is often the battle cry of anti RNY folk. If it were true, it wouldn’t need to be shouted. Check with your doc again and ask why other Centers of Bariatric Excellence allow them while he does not. As always, Go With YOUR Dr.’s recommendation, but at least check as to why he is recommending such. Best Wishes- Dx remember May back in '06? http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/board_id,4856/cat_id, 4456/topic_id,1323360/a,messageboard/action,replies/#9975052 Same sort of info you got then...... [edited to add link]

Dx E
on 1/20/08 11:58 am
Topic: RE: Poppin' Your Cherry. You'll be disappointed.
"Ice Cream Makes me Die." Hey! That's my line!!!  SF Ice Cream just makes me Wish I was Dying...... It small amounts, It make Others Wish I would Die....:pfff: Hope your World gets better each day! The Cherry/Chocolate/Doc sounds like it would be the same as the Old- "Canfields Diet Chocolate Covered Cherry Soda." About as successful as the old Weigh****chers recipe for "Mock Coconut Macaroons" made with Rinsed Sour Kraut and some artificial cocnut flavoring.  :barf: Yes, true story of woe..... Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/17/08 6:28 am
Topic: RE: Who's happy? And why???

In order to be happier? I’d have to be twins!! I’m healthier and feel younger now starting out my 50’s Than I was in my late 20’s! Past the 25 year anniversary with my adorable missus, And we still can make each other giggle like kids. My son is out of high school and on with his life. So glad to have the health to enjoy this time of my life! (I’ve fortunately missed ‘the negativity.’  Maybe it goes way over my head.) Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/14/08 10:52 pm
Topic: RE: What to take to hospital?
I'm sure you'll get several ideas... Here's mine- Take-To-The-Hospital-(and-afterwards...) Hope it Helps! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/9/08 3:16 pm
Topic: RE: Yee-Haw!!!

Congratulations!!! 5020emo-messbrasil.gif picture by DxxxxEYou Go Gurl!5020emo-messbrasil.gif picture by DxxxxE (Happy Dance in Your Honor!!) Keep it Up! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/9/08 6:28 am
Topic: RE: Can someone please explain stalling?

The “Stalls” are normal/typical. I had about 3 big ones while on my way down to goal. It’s really not even considered a true “Plateau” until it hits 4 weeks. Although it sounds counter intuitive, Are you getting “Enough Calories?” Pull back from your ‘daily’ charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly.
There are up and down spikes each day,
But if you ‘graph’ the highest to the lowest, I’d bet there is still
A downward slope over the course of the month.
There’s an 8 to 10lb. volume of “wiggle room” due to water alone.
And it comes into play a lot.
This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage.
Glycogen is not very soluble,
But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy –
One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble,
And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs.
So, when you are not getting in enough food,
(Like when you drop down to your calorie intake)
Your body turns first to stored glycogen,
Which is easy to break down for energy.
And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen,
You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it
Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however,
Your body starts to ‘realize’ that this is not a short term problem.
You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue
And burning fat for energy.
But your body also ‘realizes’----
(by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake)
---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy –
It starts converting some of the fat into glycogen,
And
rebuilding the glycogen stores.
And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle,
8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble.
So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body,
(Thus showing negative Calorie load overall)
Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while
As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.
Yes?
The whole ‘weight-loss’ process is not a straight “Slide” down the scale.
More like “Stair-Steps,” (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc...
As your body cycles fat out of “deep storage” and through the Liver
Into the muscles as Glycogen.
The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply.
This is why many people find that their “Stall” or “Plateau”
Breaks when adding a bit of exercise
And upping their water intake, or in the case of an “extreme exerciser,”
The total Calorie or Protein Intake,
To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen.
Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI
Once had a few weeks or so of thinking-
“...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped...”?

Hope this helps some.
You are doing Great!
Keep it Up!
Best Wishes-
Dx

Dx E
on 1/9/08 5:14 am
Topic: RE: totally on track.....

Congratulations Mommy T! So Glad to see you back on track! Over the years I’ve seen a number of folks Have some “bounce back” weight And pick up old eating habits. Fortunately, I have seen just as many Get back on track and use their surgery To grab their long term success! Keep up the Great work! Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/9/08 4:32 am
Topic: RE: VASO VAGO REACTION?
Couple of thoughts- FeelingFaint? and also - Vagus-Nerve More common tham one would think... Best Wishes- Dx  

Dx E
on 1/9/08 4:26 am
Topic: RE: OT: Cyber Bully, Trolls take note - words can kill!
I am reminded of a recent ‘run in’ with a cyber troll Who posted under assumed names on WLS MessageBoards. She made snide comments about how fat some were (who were dealing with mechanical staple-line disruptions) Made jokes about those who had complications, And took every opportunity to attack those *****vealed their need for Counseling, as “Un-balanced Crazies.” Even though she had dealt with Morbid Obesity herself, No law prevented her from continuing these attacks. Such shocking truths come out about “Cyber-Trolls,” I can hardly imagine what tortured psyche they must be hiding from the world. I totter between wondering if they need immediate court-ordered psychological Therapy, Of if in fact some people are just actually Evil. Only "damage" it ever caused me was reducing my ability to trust ANY poster on the Web.... Perhaps I just needed to learn that lesson. Some many creepy folk can access web-sites just as well as the rest of us can. Maybe even better….. Sad, Sad Story… Best Wishes- Dx

Dx E
on 1/9/08 4:13 am
Topic: RE: Pet Peeve - anyone else?
2 questions….. I just have a pet dog… Where does one get one of those ‘peeves?’ And, are they easy to house-train? Best Wishes- Dx
Dx E
on 1/6/08 12:39 pm
Topic: RE: The History of Weight Loss Surgery
Cool!!! Thanks! I'm a "Link-Collector!" Best Wishes- Dx

Most Active