weighing myself too much?

Suzanne H.
on 4/27/06 2:54 am - Warminster, PA
I am only 3 weeks out but already starting to get worried. I lost 27 lbs the first 2 weeks. I lost 2 more lbs from Thurs to Sun. Now I haven't lost anymore since Sunday. (Sun. to Thurs.) I realize I am getting on the scale alot but I was just so excited to see it coming off so fast. Now I am already getting nervous. I didn't expect the weight loss to slow down after 3 weeks. I know I am not over eating, so what's the deal? Am I too worried? I know my first 2 weeks were tremendous & I should be happy about them which I am, but like I said I didn't expect to come to a stand still already. Any advice?
Kerry K.
on 4/27/06 2:57 am - San Jose, CA
Suzanne Throw the scale away! that's my advice, weigh once a month. Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/06 3:01 am - Wilmington, NC
Yes you are just like me. I am three weeks post op lost 24 lbs then from Saturday on nothing. Maybe everyone hits a stall around this time. I just know that I will be glad to see the scales start to move again. I think I am going to hide my scales so I won't have to weigh myself every day. BE proud of your weight loss. Keep up the good work Stephanie
Brenda Mcleod
on 4/27/06 3:05 am - Quinton, AL
Suzanne Iam just as bad about the scales. I have lost 24 pounds so far and this morning I noticed I did not lose. Iam a little nervous to. I think we are so afraid of failing with this to. I think we need to just throw the scales away. I know I would just go buy some more. From what I have read on here it is normal so not see the scales move,but we are still loseing inches. You are doing a great job loseing keep up what you are doing. Good luck Brenda
Valerie G.
on 4/27/06 3:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Step away from the scale, Suzanne!!!!! I know how exciting it is to see the pounds going and you want to wake up looking and feeling fabulous. You knew ahead of time this would take nearly a year to get you to where you want to be. You're too early out to be driving yourself this crazy. I agree with weighing once a month. I'm too anxious to wait that long, but I DO wait and only weigh weekly. Now, when you do start to slow down, don't fret -- because your body will start changing and you'll start dropping sizes in your clothes. Now shove that scale underneath of something and dont pull it out until next week!
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/06 3:23 am - Meridian, ID
I weigh myself everyday (sometimes multiple times a day). If it stresses you out, then yes throw it away. If you do weigh yourself everyday, resign and prepare yourself to the fact that your weight will fluctuate up and down. Now, you have hit the infamous 3 week stall/plateau. Don't worry, you haven't stopped losing weight. Most lose alot the first 2-3 weeks then it slows down some. Some lose steadily through the whole process and some will drop one week, then stall for 1 to 3 weeks. As long as you stick to the program, exercise, get the water in, take your vitamins, you'll do fine. Believe me, your concerns are normal, I think we all felt at some point that we've stopped losing weight but those who perservere will eventually lose all or most of their excess weight. Tips: Measure yourself at regular intervals, also take pictures. Work on your attitude about food, head hunger, addictions from the get go. Don't wait until the so called "honeymoon" period is over. If you can fight the head hunger early on, it gets easier to resist later on when you are able to eat more. Don't tempt yourself to see if you dump, assume you do and it will help you stay away from sugar, simple carbs, etc. If you indulge you may find out you don't dump and then it will be harder to stay away from the fattening foods. Get rid of anything in your house that you shouldn't have (especially if its a trigger food) and replace with healthy snacks, your family may not like it but what is good for you is also good for them. Learn to cook with spices, really does help to have tasty food. Exercise as soon as you are able, even if it's just walking. Just try to increase your speed and endurance a little at a time. It will help tone your body. A pound is a pound but a pound of muscle takes up considerably less space than a pound of fat. Set mini goals for yourself. Losing 2-5 pounds is alot easier to get your mind wrapped around it than thinking you have 100+ lbs to lose. Slow and steady wins the race. Some people use lbs as goals, but you can use other things such as buying something you like 1 or 2 sizes down or walking for a certain length of time/distance. Be prepared for emotional changes both in yourself and others around you. Estrogen is stored in fat and as you lose it's released into your system. You may experience depression and if it gets too bad, see your doctor. Some are given anti-depressants if they really need it. There are probably others that can add to these tips, this is all I can think of for now. Linda 273/166/135-150?
kjfpurple
on 4/27/06 4:37 am - Clyde, OH
I'm only 4 weeks out and at 3 wk appt lost "only" 12 lb since surg. I was a little disappointed, as others usually lose around 20#, but I think i'd rather lose slowly to allow my skin a chance to tighten, maybe not be so noticeable. I agree with only weighing once a week, do it on same day of week you had surgery and compare. You CAN do this. Be disciplined & put it away between weigh-ins. Kathy :nono:
Michelle C
on 4/27/06 6:32 am - OH
Don't worry you are completely normal. I stalled also at 3 weeks out. I lost 42 lbs in the first 3 weeks and then nothing for the next 2. I was so aggrevated. But no need to worry I promise as long as you are doing everything your dr. told you to do you will pick your weight loss back up. Today I have lost 108 lbs. Just be a little patient, I know it is hard I wanted to see something gone everyday, but from everyone I have heard from on here your body has to catch up with the rapid weight loss. You are doing awesome, 27 pounds in 2 weeks! Think about it, that is almost 2 lbs a day. Also I weigh myself everyday too. But I do it not only to see if I have lost any weight but to make sure I am still on the right track. I have put too much time and money into this not to keep myself on track by weighing myself, so I don't see daily weigh ins as a bad thing. I guess it is up to you, but don't let it discourage you. It will happen I promise! Michelle
Kerri
on 4/27/06 7:57 am - CO
Don't freak out. I lost 26lbs the first month and at 13 months out now I've lost 156lbs. Don't worry about how fast or slow you are losing. Your body is gonna do it's own thing. Just follow the doc's instructions, drink your water, eat your protein, and try to get some exercise in and you will do just fine. Besides, most people tend to have a weight loss stall right at 3 weeks. Believe me, it does not last! Good Luck. Kerri
Most Active