What did you do with your old clothes?

LeonaCR
on 9/15/21 6:51 am

As I continue to lose weight, part of me is afraid to get rid of my old clothes just in case I ever need them again. At the same time, I am ready to move forward and am determined to not wear most of them again. Did you donate your clothes or sell them? If donating, any recommendations besides Goodwill? If I could sew, I would consider making something creative out of the more worn items. But sewing is a talent I don't have!

White Dove
on 9/15/21 7:59 am - Warren, OH

The really good, almost brand new things I took to a consignment shop. I remember the lady being amazed that I had been large enough to wear those clothes. Everything else went to Goodwill.

I did not keep anything in case I gained weight again.

When I got down to size 12, I bought a bunch of new jeans. Six months later I donated all of those because I was in very loose-fitting size 4's.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LeonaCR
on 9/16/21 6:35 am

Consignment shop is a good idea. Congratulations on your weight loss!

hollykim
on 9/15/21 5:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 15, 2021 at 1:51 PM Pacific Time, LeonaCR wrote:

As I continue to lose weight, part of me is afraid to get rid of my old clothes just in case I ever need them again. At the same time, I am ready to move forward and am determined to not wear most of them again. Did you donate your clothes or sell them? If donating, any recommendations besides Goodwill? If I could sew, I would consider making something creative out of the more worn items. But sewing is a talent I don't have!

I kept one pair is shorts snd o e pair of jeans , strictly as a reminder. If you keep big clothes" in case you need them again", you are, in effect, giving yourself permission to gain all the weight back .
StRt telling yourself you are NOT going to need them everagain snd then make thAt happen.

LeonaCR
on 9/16/21 6:37 am

Good point!

GracielaSusana
on 9/16/21 2:23 pm - Ft Myers, FL
RNY on 06/07/21

I donate my clothes as soon as They get sloppy big. Salvation Army takes donations and most large churches have a thrift store. The GOOD work clothes I donate to Dress for Success, they provide help to women trying to enter the work force with coaching, interview and work clothes. They have an increased need for larger sizes. They arrange the clothes in a boutique setting and when a woman lands a job, they provide her with 5 work outfits.

lmfontana4
on 9/22/21 1:34 pm
RNY on 03/24/21

Great idea, I wil look to see if we have a Dress for Success in my area.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)