Getting nervous!

LeonaCR
on 5/17/21 8:45 am

My surgery day is in just a few weeks and I have serious butterflies and I am so anxious. I flip flopped on having surgery for so long and now that it is a reality the fear and nervousness is real. I am seeing a counselor and that has helped me a bit...but whew! Can't wait to get the surgery over with now so that I can start on my path to healthiness.

lmfontana4
on 5/17/21 5:48 pm
RNY on 03/24/21

I don't think it is unusual to be nervous. However you need to be sure this is something you really want to do. The surgery will change your life and you will never eat the same again. You will still have a focus on food but it will be different because you will need to get enough protein. The gains you receive due to the surgery will be worth it.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

LeonaCR
on 5/18/21 8:26 am

You are exactly right. I have thought about this for so long and I am ready to get healthy and focus on me for a change.

sweetpotato1959
on 5/18/21 3:40 pm

LeonaCR,

Being nervous now is a healthy thing.

Take this time to prepare for life after surgery.You are already on the road to good health. You have made a decision to change the way your body processes food. It has worked for many of us on this board. My surgery was an early weight loss procedure that is no longer done as mine was done.. the RNY and other procedures were derived from what i had..My surgeon was a professor and wrote the book on TPN< literally..wrote the book.

There are things you should be doing now to care for yourself....begin some light exercises now to get yourself in a routine... even if it is only isometrics sitting in a chair.. or lifting a can of veggies in each hand..Your goal should be to build healthy habits now...You can do this for you!

Measure every thing you put in your mouth... estimate your water til you can look at a cup and tell how many cc's are in it.. think in cc/s at first and later you will think in ounces.

. Learn to estimate your protein til you can "eye" a pc of meat and determine its approx size to determine protein. This will be another tool in your toolbox as you begin going to eat in settings i n which you have not prepared the meal.

tip.If in doubt order any sauces or toppings on the side.You can then choose a smaller amount if it is needed.

after surgery make multiple copies of your supplements your surgeon prescribes,One for a deep file and one for daly use when any instruction changes add it to your master file and why it was changed. You need these on paper.. because. some time in the future you may need a permanent record. and the office may no longer exist.

and write down the amount of protein and carbs he/she thinks you need for healing and optimal weight loss...then also for maintenance.

Most Active