Eating meat 3 weeks post op? Should you?

Yray
on 11/3/20 3:06 am
VSG on 10/15/20
On November 2, 2020 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, KimmyJJ wrote:

Hi again! I was doing my daily reading on here this past weekend and noticed someone posted about cooking dinner and eating what I interpreted as pork chops? If your surgery was on Oct 7th and it was Oct 31, is a pork chop (may have been a spelling error). I had surgery in mid Oct and and I'm wondering if sold meat is something to be consumed in the first month? I'm just asking since I'm not sure for my own information. Thanks!

Hi there I had my surgery on the 15th as well. Dealing with some constipation now and stalling as well. Hopefully I'll get that under control and continue smoothly on my journey.

KimmyJJ
on 11/4/20 10:24 am

Hello Yray! Good for you, having surgery last month. Sorry you're having some issues, but not serious ones thankfully. You'll get those under control, and we all need to keep supporting each other no matter where we are in our journeys! You got this!

KimmyJJ

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/20 5:43 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Pulled pork is a good option if you're craving meat as is pulled chicken breast .... I wouldn't recommend fatty ANYTHING because you can dump.

I personally couldn't even keep egg yolks down for many months after bariatric surgery.

Also, you're going to have to get used to low-fat eating ( probably ) if you want to lose the most weight and successfully keep it off. Eating fat laden choices is what got us morbidly obese and what usually gives most posters regain.

ladygodiva1228
on 11/3/20 7:11 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you 100%. My husband has been eating high fat and protein for the last two months and has lost 41lbs. Now he did not have WLS and needed to lose 55lbs per his doctor so he is almost there with only 14 more lbs to go. He is off his metformin and high blood pressure meds because of the way he is eating. His blood sugar was over 200 in the morning, now it is between 110 and 120.

I myself eat high fat and protein and have an easier time losing weight than if I were eating fat free stuff. Of course we only get grass fed full fat butter, cheese, meats, etc. We raised 15 red broiler chickens that were pasture raised and they are delicious. Looking at getting a couple of pigs this coming year.

The full fat and high protein keeps me fuller longer than if I were eating fat free stuff I've tried it several times.

Fat does not make fat.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Jmm4321
on 11/3/20 8:27 am

A ton of non-wls dieters loose weight with high fat high protein diets (Atkins was really popular). A staggering percentage gain it back in relatively short time frames.

Hopefully your husband is one of the people who keeps it off.

KimmyJJ
on 11/4/20 11:47 am

ladygodiva1228, I know that this reply wasn't to me, but I wanted to say congrats to your husband losing the weight with his plan. I'm too new to have solid opinions yet, but good for him!

KimmyJJ

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/20 6:53 am, edited 11/4/20 10:53 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

It also helps that you and hubs are farmers lol!

I was in my best shape ever when I ran a mini farm- and I didn't " exercise " a bit ...just dug holes, planted, painted, mowed, renovated .... from dawn 2 dusk lol! ( and I didn't even own animals other than a cat )

I have never before or since felt so utterly exhausted at the end of the day!

I too ended up eating more ... fast food even sometimes to join my workers ... and never gained an ounce .

But then farmers breakfasts were invented for a REASON... all day intense physical work REQUIRES calories.

KimmyJJ
on 11/4/20 11:37 am

Veggiewoman, I like pulled pork, so as long as it's not stringy it might be something I try in another month when I'm allowed to. Fat makes me gag anyway, so that's not a problem! Thanks for the suggestions!

KimmyJJ

catwoman7
on 11/5/20 5:37 am
RNY on 06/03/15

most plans are low-carb, not low-fat.

White Dove
on 11/3/20 6:44 am - Warren, OH

If you recall, the guy who ate pork chops vomited them back up and also vomited up blood. I advised him to go to the hospital. He said he did not feel bad and did not want to find out that something was wrong.

If he broke his staples open, then digestive juice and food could have been seeping out of the pouch. That can quickly become very serious or fatal.

We did not hear from him again and hope that he survived. I hope he comes back and tells us that everything was fine.

My answer for pork chops is "No". I love pork chops, but they would make me sick thirteen years after surgery.

I had my first meat, a very tender filet, four months after surgery. I then tried a pork chop and it did not stay down. Ground beef seems like it would be fine, but it is actually ground because it is such tough meat and many people can never eat it after surgery. I am fine with most fish or chicken. If I eat beef or pork, I cook it in a pressure cooker until it falls apart and eat it with a gravy or sauce.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active