johnmcalhany81
on 10/28/20 6:50 pm

Im new here. My mom has been a a member for a long time 2007ish and she recommend me to join here. I am wanting to have surgery. Got on disability 6 months ago for a disease called "Charcot Foot" caused by uncontrollable diabetes. Heaviest was 515lb diabetes caused me to lose down to 430lb. Just got approved for full medicaid and realized they cover weightloss surgery! Im so excited! Thinking about using my moms surgeon Dr Glenn Strickland at Lexington Medical Center in Lexington, SC.

Tidgel
on 10/29/20 8:32 am
RNY on 04/15/19

Welcome and I am very excited for you. You deserve to be healthy and I bet you will succeed on your new weight loss journey. Hugs.

LezetteChristineMua
on 10/29/20 9:24 am
VSG on 12/11/17

Welcome,

How exciting! Bariatric Surgery has literally been one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. I am almost 3 years post and I have a whole new life. Feel free to connect and reach out, there is so much information on here and lots of people willing to share and encourage you along the way. Spread Kindness Like Glitter Lezette Christine Mua

Kathleen W.
on 10/29/20 2:58 pm - Lancaster, PA

Congratulations on wanting to get your health back. It's best thing you'll ever do for yourself. Along with what you're thinking about, may I make a suggestion? There's a book called Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. It's a easy to read book describing the different kinds of surgeries, what to expect, what to look for in a surgeon, healthy diets post surgeries, different aspects that most people don't think about. Also, talk to your mother. She is a wealth of information that you can rely on.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

califsleevin
on 10/31/20 8:45 am - CA

Welcome to the club here. Read and research as much as you can in working out what is best for you - the various procedures have somewhat different personalities, so one may fit you better than another. One suggestion is to have the DS (duodenal switch) on your radar, as that is the strongest tool for diabetes, and also the strongest metabolically for those starting in the higher BMI ranges. It is also somewhat more complex than the others, so many practices don't offer it and one may have to travel some to consult with one that does. As usual there are trade offs with anything in life, so it is best to get as good of an understanding of the alternatives that you can - it is better to know about all of the ups and downs of a procedure and reject it with knowledge than to have to come back later for a revision because "I didn't know about that at the time...."

Good luck in starting this adventure!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

SidneyLeiFrances
on 11/2/20 7:55 am

Hi. Welcome. I am pretty new here too and just started the weight loss surgery process. It is very exciting! Best of luck to you.

Kathleen W.
on 11/2/20 3:47 pm - Lancaster, PA

Sidney Lei, congratulations on taking this big step. It's commendable to want to healthy and fit.

It literally saved my life. I will make a suggestion to you that I made to the other young lady. There's a book called Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. It will give you insights on what to ask, different surgeries, diets, pros and cons to each type of surgery, insurance companies, different doctors, etc.

I would do it all over again if I had to. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm doing things that I never thought possible. If I had kept going on the path I was on, I would have qualified for my 600 lb, life with Dr, Nowzardan.

Best of luck to you. You'll be fine.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Kathleen W.
on 11/2/20 3:52 pm - Lancaster, PA

Sidney Lei,

Please excuse my brain freeze. I should have said young man not young lady. John, please forgive this old lady. Mei culpa.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active