Just had my meeting with my "therapist"...

RhinaMK
on 10/5/20 3:52 pm

I feel like this woman doesn't get it? I tried explaining what I was feeling and she kept talking over me trying to come up with ways to "fix it". She just kept saying it's all because I've had surgery and kinda made me feel bad for having it (it's a little too late to talk me out of it, sweetheart)... Time to try for a different one. Or should I try and stick it out to see if her "style" changes? IDK! Anyone have similar experiences?

NYMom222
on 10/5/20 4:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you want to take the energy to educate her stay.

You can be frank with Therapists too and say - hey - this is not helping me.

if this is a new Therapist, I say 3 session limit, then move on if you are still questioning it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

RhinaMK
on 10/6/20 10:07 am

Good suggestion. Thank you. I think 3 is a good number, I just feel like I am in a weird place right now.

PuggleDad
on 10/6/20 2:13 am

I view therapists much like the experience of dating: very rarely do we find our perfect match on the first try. I think almost everyone can benefit from therapy if they find the right person.

RhinaMK
on 10/6/20 10:16 am

Thank you. That is a great way to put it. Not everyone is right for every situation.

Melody P.
on 10/6/20 5:41 am - Amarillo, TX

It took three attempts for me to find a fit.

Mel

RhinaMK
on 10/6/20 10:17 am

Thank you. Looks like 3 may be the magical number =)

TJFox
on 10/6/20 6:21 am

My experience has been that I usually feel like I end up counseling the counselor! And one time, it turned out the grief counselor was a friend of my loved one who had passed away. I found this out after four sessions with him and it made me very uncomfortable so I didn't go back.

As for your experience, I would give the counselor another try because during the first session you are both getting to know each other and it does take time to get on the same page. (In my experience.)

RhinaMK
on 10/6/20 10:20 am

Part of me feels like I dont have the energy emotionally to educate someone I am paying to help me. I would feel weird if it was a "friend " or someone who knew me through an acquaintance. I'll see in 2 weeks since that is when my next session is scheduled for.

Most Active