How do you curve your cravings?

Want2beMe
on 10/4/20 4:14 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I have my go to food/drinks but my son works for BK (burger king) and almost always has food brought home. The smell makes me nauseous yet the look of it makes me crave a bite. What can I do?

To be honest, I caved in and bought myself crispy chicken from McDonald's and ate at the park to get rid of the evidence. I felt guilty after eating it, but now I can't seem to stop thinking about what other sandwich I want to try.

Help!

Partlypollyanna
on 10/4/20 6:52 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Given you're less than two months out, you probably want to reach back out to your medical team and see if they can give you any help to deal with the head hunger/nose hunger type issues. It's really important to be up front with them that you may need help with more of the head stuff, given what you've described.

The head stuff is the battle every day (or at least frequently) for many of us.

When I get a craving for something, usually sweets, I'll have a cup of hot tea (dessert flavored ones); I'll change where I am (go for a walk, go to another room, take a bath); and I have been known to put myself to bed very early on days when it seemed like the best approach.

good luck!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Want2beMe
on 10/4/20 7:16 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Yes I will contact my dieticians and see what they say. I saw my surgeon and dietician last week, everything was going great until today. I need to get back into journaling and find some positive outlets.

Partlypollyanna
on 10/5/20 5:51 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Surgeon and dietician are good but you might consider psychologist or psychiatrist as well. My program required both and having access to them pre and post was very useful.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

NYMom222
on 10/5/20 4:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Ah yes, the put your damn ass in Bed trick. It works.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/20 7:46 am, edited 10/7/20 7:12 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Exercise first thing every morning is a huge head re-setter for me .

I find the endorphins released even after a short walk are enough to keep me away from fast food and alcohol cravings for the rest of the day.

Its also the feeling that I'm doing something positive for myself - so I don't want to undo it with poor food choices.

It must be tough to have leftover ( free) fast food constantly in your home ((())))... I don't know if you're aware of this but we learn in OA ( Overeaters Anonymous ) is that anything you don't eat for six weeks you won't crave.

I know it seems like a long time but the cravings drop-off has happened to me several times - regarding fast food and other things like fresh baked bread which pre-op I used to eat an entire loaf of per day.

I can eat a slice or two of bread now ( or a small BK cheeseburger or Arbys slider ) if I'm very hungry and on the road now and not DREAM of eating another for a month or two.

The weeks away from the food I was craving really DID work to reset my body's over-desire for that particular food.

hugs

Want2beMe
on 10/5/20 9:46 am
VSG on 08/17/20

My dietician wants me to do my food log again and then we go over it in 2 weeks. Also write down my exercise regimen, I was getting 6k steps but she wants me to go for 10k and do weights 2-3 times a week for half hour. Basically keep myself busy to avoid the cravings and down time.

Want2beMe
on 10/7/20 9:22 am
VSG on 08/17/20

I can't believe it, I lost 3 pounds in a week even with my cheat day of eating McDonald's. I dont crave eating out like I did and I'm sticking to a routine to show im committed. I'm finding foods and recipes for the days I crave out to eat/greasy foods and sweets.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/20 2:21 pm, edited 10/7/20 7:22 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I found I could make just about ANY taste without added fat ...

I just use low fat very fresh ingredients like 93% lean organic ground beef ...pork loin, beef eye round, chicken breast, shrimp

butter buds ( butter solids minus the fat )

fat free skim milk powder and fat free half and half, sour cream,

ricotta cheese , mozzarella and cheddar and American cheeses also can be found in most supermarkets as fat free versions

there's low fat Italian chicken sausage, spinach-cheese and even spicy creole Andouille

and tons of tasty inherently fat free gravy mixes like Alfredo Sauce, Rosa Sauce ( for Vodka pasta sauce ) Scampi and Creamy Pesto type sauces...

Experimenting hacking traditional recipes of many cultures was fun for me in the early years post op - I still do it and as a result my family and friends and I eat really healthily and well.

As a matter of fact I now find most restaurant food greasy and old-tasting lol - mine is way better !

All you have to do is taste a day old fast food sandwich cold to be revolted ... at least I was. ((())) hugs

Most Active