Surgery in July and I regret it.

JeffCrew
on 9/30/20 8:41 am
RNY on 07/20/20

thank you for your suggestions. As I was telling another person the foaming starts with the first drink/sip I have of the day. It doesn't seem to be only for specific foods/liquids it is literally anything. I am going to try the suggestions of everyone here to see what works or doesn't as you said it is trial and error. I am just regretting my decision at this point and really hope things get better or I am going to lose my mind. Between the constant foaming, the inability to eat/drink and the embarrassment of not being able to be around friends without having to run to the bathroom is a horrible feeling. You are correct on the girl I speak with being the nutritionist. She is very young and doesn't seem to be familiar with the issues I am having. I don't think she has worked with many weight loss patients because overall, she seems very inexperienced at anything nutrition-wise. I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon in Oct so I will again try to discuss it then.

TheWombat
on 9/30/20 9:33 am, edited 9/30/20 2:40 am
VSG on 06/11/18

What you're describing (getting the foamies at the first sip of the day) is pretty extreme. I would give your surgeon a call about this now, rather than suffer until your next appointment. Also, I'd be worried about dehydration, because I'm sure it's difficult for you to take in enough fluid.

Are you on a PPI? The names of these medicines usually end in "-azole". Most surgeons will prescribe a PPI for the first year or so. Your smaller stomach will initially try to produce the same amount of acid that a normal size stomach does. A PPI can help tremendously.

JeffCrew
on 9/30/20 1:19 pm
RNY on 07/20/20

I didn't have GERD prior to surgery so I assume he did not prescribe it for me now. I can ask about that when I talk to him though. If there is an issue with the same amount of acid in a small stomach that could be part of what is causing me to foam and not eating too much. It is surely worth inquiring about. THANK YOU.

White Dove
on 9/30/20 2:33 pm - Warren, OH

I never had GERD, but my surgeon did prescribe a PPI for every patient for the first three months after surgery. I am glad that Wombat mentioned that. It might just be the solution you need.

As I understand it, the stomach does not continue to produce the same amount of acid after RNY, but it takes a few months for it to slow down. That is why we took the PPI until the body had adjusted.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 10/1/20 2:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2020 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, JeffCrew wrote:

thank you for your suggestions. As I was telling another person the foaming starts with the first drink/sip I have of the day. It doesn't seem to be only for specific foods/liquids it is literally anything. I am going to try the suggestions of everyone here to see what works or doesn't as you said it is trial and error. I am just regretting my decision at this point and really hope things get better or I am going to lose my mind. Between the constant foaming, the inability to eat/drink and the embarrassment of not being able to be around friends without having to run to the bathroom is a horrible feeling. You are correct on the girl I speak with being the nutritionist. She is very young and doesn't seem to be familiar with the issues I am having. I don't think she has worked with many weight loss patients because overall, she seems very inexperienced at anything nutrition-wise. I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon in Oct so I will again try to discuss it then.

how often are you eating and drinking? Maybe you need to be eating / drinking OFTEN to counteract the foAming. Maybe it's your pouch being empty thSt is causing it when food/ liquid hits it? Worth a try I guess, kinda out eat the foaming.

RhinaMK
on 9/29/20 3:43 pm

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I felt like you did several times throughout this post bariatric journey but all in all, it's worth it. I have found that it's not at the speed I may have wanted it, but things progress on their own when your body is ready. As someone mentioned, go back to liquids and start at ground zero. Foamies for me was a sign that I was eating too fast (even at the liquid stage) and that may be the same for you. I did things 1 ounce at a time and logged everything.

If you are not feeling comfortable with someone in your surgeons office, maybe you should voice your grievances to an office manager or the surgeon when you see him? Ask to speak with a nurse directly?

JeffCrew
on 9/30/20 8:49 am
RNY on 07/20/20

Thank you I do plan on discussing with my surgeon in Oct again. As I was telling the other person the girl is the nutritionist and not as experienced as I think someone working with surgical weight loss patients should be or maybe I am just angry that I am having so many problems and I don't see things clearly. Either way, I am going to try the suggestions of everyone to see how it goes but I will bring it up to the surgeon. Maybe I will try to find an independent nutritionist who I know is more experienced with the needs of us.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/20 1:59 am, edited 9/30/20 7:01 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I too had ( and still have) a lot of issues with drinking water or lots of anything liquid : basically cold water often comes back up if I've drank too much at one time ( we're talking half a cup lol ) . I'm almost nine years post op ... so you're not unique.

For many years pre op my body mistook thirst for hunger. I got most of my liquids through FOOD not through drinking.

To this day I have a huge problem making sure to drink enough water every day ( mostly in the form of sugar free skim milk tea lattes and flavored seltzer water or diet iced tea) to keep my legs from cramping at night due to dehydration. These "Charley horses " are horribly unpleasant and when they happen I invariably remember that that day I basically forgot to drink.

If you ever get to go to a WLS convention you'll see hundreds of people carrying huge water bottles with straws sticking out of them- and taking little sips every few minutes when they remember.

Clearly my problem getting and holding down liquids is not unique problem either- the ever presen****er bottle is the solution.

Many people choose to flavor their water with MIO drops or just lime juice ( me ) - I do not use Crystal Light as my heart reacts very badly to the aspartame ( I wake up with my heart racing- really scary) .

They say about 1/3 of WLS recipients react this way to aspartame ( probably the same statistic is true for the general population- but they don't indulge in the quantities of artificial sweeteners dieters or WLS do )

Good luck ! ((())) hugs . Walking fifteen minutes every waking hour as prescribed also really helped me heal faster internally as did chewable vitamins, particularly vitamin C.

I've only gotten the " foamies" a few times ( yeah they are scary and awful feeling the nausea feels very similar to dumping) . It was always from the " hit " of fatty foods like real egg yolks in the beginning - "real" ( full fat ) mayonnaise was also a repeat offender 'till I switched to fat free mayo, sour. cream, cottage cheese milk and yogurt )

I still get nauseous eating a product like tzaziki made with full fat Greek yogurt though its fat content is significantly cut down by the vegetables ( cucumbers, dill, garlic) included - if I make my own at home using nonfat Greek yogurt- not a single issue .

Sometimes even light cheeses ( like lite Brie , fresh handmade , smoked Mozzarella , 75% fat free Cheddar ) which like most people I crave in the fall .. tend to bring on the nausea about twenty minutes after I eat them.

The solution... melt if possible ( you really realize how much fat is in cheese when you melt it - regular cheese is LITERALLY half butter ) because you eat a lot less and get the same satisfaction... if not, take tiny bites , really chew and enjoy the taste and let the cheese warm up in your mouth.

I always accompany a cold cheese plate ( really small!) with carrot and celery sticks or raw sugar snap pea pods , fat free healthy homemade dip ( ff sour cream and onion soup mix is a super easy one ) so when I just want to CHEW fattening cheese isn't my only option .

TJFox
on 10/1/20 8:51 am

I am so sorry to hear this. I would insist on a meeting with your surgeon. Don't take no for an answer!

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/20 3:31 am
RNY on 01/01/14

You can( and I think SHOULD) call your surgeon's office.

Mine had a PA ( Physician's Assistant) on call 24/7 who could prescribe medications and/or immediately admit patients to the emergency room if needed.

I needed ... I got dehydrated five days post op and my colon twisted and blocked . The sudden pain was enough to make me call- thank God I did because quick ER admission meant I could be fixed with only an IV drip not have to get re-opened.

Hugs .

Most Active