Acid Reflux

Deb366
on 9/28/20 11:11 am
I am 12 years out now and my acid reflux is coming back. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? I am not big on some of the medications since they mess with bones....thanks in advance!
White Dove
on 9/28/20 11:23 am - Warren, OH

I started using a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Recently my doctor prescribed bicarbonate of soda tablets and I take one in the morning and one at night.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Deb366
on 9/28/20 11:38 am
Is it helping with your acid reflux? I mostly just notice mine at night.
White Dove
on 9/28/20 3:51 pm - Warren, OH

It is almost completely gone. I might get it a little at night if I ate very spicy food. I do not want to take any of the medicines that can have side effects.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 9/28/20 3:25 pm, edited 9/28/20 8:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2020 at 6:11 PM Pacific Time, Deb366 wrote: I am 12 years out now and my acid reflux is coming back. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? I am not big on some of the medications since they mess with bones....thanks in advance!

I take a Carafate tablet at bedtime for mine. If it gets really bD I take 3-4 activated charcoal capsules to absorb the acid.

Dee_Caprini
on 9/28/20 3:33 pm

I use the assorted berry Tums if I have issues. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and have them by my bedside and have glass of water, then take a couple tablets.

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/20 1:52 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Tums seems to be a decent solution: they're inexpensive, side effect free and calcium based which we need ( I'm not sure we can absorb that kind though)

I only feel reflux if I eat fatty foods and then my stomach acid goes into acid overdrive. I can snack on low fat foods even in bed ( yes its a bad habit ) and not feel a thing, thank God .

catwoman7
on 9/29/20 7:26 am
RNY on 06/03/15

they're fine if you don't go overboard with them. I was eating about 20 a day, and my endocrinologist noticed that I was excreting a TON of calcium in my urine. She said that much is really hard on your kidneys. So I'm back on a PPI. There are always trade-offs, I guess. So anyway, I WAS absorbing the calcium carbonate from the Tums - but probably not as much so as a normal (non-WLS) person would. But then, I was also taking A LOT of them!

Most Active