When to take laxatives?

Want2beMe
on 8/21/20 1:17 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I know what I can take, but when do you know to take a laxative. I haven't had a bowel in 5 days and I'm not feeling constipated, but should i take a laxative to help me go? My doctor appointment is in 3 days so I can always ask then, but I didn't know if I should have a bowel before then.

LisaKelley
on 8/21/20 4:23 pm

Hi.

Try Miralax. I am almost 7 weeks out from a conversion from sleeve to RNY. I'm on day two of using it. I was advised to try it.

//lisa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGoSSrA/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGoSSrA/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Ladytazz
on 8/21/20 8:14 pm

Since you just had surgery a few days ago, and especially if you had a bowel prep beforehand, you probably haven't got much in your system so it wouldn't be unusual to not have a bowel movement for a few days.

If you aren't feeling uncomfortable you can wait or try Miralax if your doctor has okayed it for you. My doctor told me to take some Milk of Magnesia after surgery for constipation but check with your doctor before taking anything, even over the counter.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

White Dove
on 8/22/20 8:28 am, edited 8/22/20 1:29 am - Warren, OH

Often this is because you are taking pain pills. Discuss with your surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Want2beMe
on 8/22/20 8:09 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Ask and you shall receive, I've had several bowels or diarrhea. So I guess I dont need to worry about it.

SuMari
on 8/24/20 11:01 am

Glad you have some relief! I was informed in my classes that it could be up to a week around the time of surgery (pre and post) because of the liquid diet we are on and once we start on soft puree stage, then things become "more regular"... I was also given details for Dolcolax Overnight Gentle Relief to use after surgery if I were to ever feel that I couldn't go on my own

Dee_Caprini
on 8/25/20 3:42 pm

Colace or any of the dulcolax products seem to work with me.

Most Active