Single Anastomosis Duodenal Switch

Mama2DJ
on 8/7/20 7:04 pm

I am in the process of working toward this surgery. I was just wondering about others who have gone through it and if they experience any problems with acid reflux, heartburn, or diarrhea.

Tidgel
on 8/10/20 10:04 am
RNY on 04/15/19

I have not had this surgery. You might want to post your question on the Duodenal Switch board here:

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/

lilymooner
on 8/13/20 9:50 am, edited 8/14/20 1:44 am - TX

Hey there- I can speak to this- I had the DS in 2014 and have now lost 190 lbs (175 after DS and recently 15 more after plastic surgery and dropping a few more pounds after recovery), I'm down to 145 and 5'5''. I think for me it was the best choice. I do feel like there is a freedom I'm allowed with the DS (because I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I'm making my protein each day). I really don't want or crave bread or pasta like I used to - it may be because of the consequences that can sometimes come from eating white flour products (usually gas/bloating) - but I still indulge in some here or there - the further out I am the less it has impacted me- but again, I still don't crave those things, they are just nice to have in addition to a meal sometimes- yes I eat buns on burgers and bread on sandwiches. I love eating high fat with no consequences, it's still amazes me- but I do have to be careful of my family not eating what I eat (extra butter, cheese and sour cream). I have no problem with any kind of meat or protein or fruits or veggies besides white flour- but yes I still eat it sometimes- it has to be a lot of it to mess with me now)

I definitely still need to be on top of my vitamin game, last tested I was a bit low in sodium, iron and calcium so I've increased my intake (more salt needed - pretty wild). My stats are amazing though - my resting heart rate is usually around 60, my HDL and LDL levels are shockingly good and my blood pressure is always low.

Now, besides gas and bloating, at the beginning diarrhea was an issue - but that didn't last long, usually very regular/soft and perfectly timely- that whole system is working well (better than preop I'd say).

I've also definitely had issues with acid- I never had that (except when I was pregnant) beforehand. I take an omeprezole every other morning and don't have issues the rest of the time, but I'd like to not take anything for acid if I could. I'd say that is my biggest challenge besides staying on top of vitamins. My life has definitely changed for the better. Also - I had plastics 6 weeks ago- I've never had a body like this in my life (my stomach is completely flat - it's mind blowing) and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It's still not perfect, I still have skin and some fat left in my thighs (I didn't get them done) and next to my bra line- but it doesn't even bother me like it used to because the rest looks so good.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your journey - wishing each person success along their own path

Riva_G.
on 8/17/20 8:35 am
DS on 07/18/19

The ds and the sadi-s/ loop ds/ sips dont have the same results. The surgerys are similar but with the sips the common Chanel is longer than with the traditional ds. So there aren't as much malabsorbtion (and tbe issues that come with it) but weight loss is relatively slower. You have to be more careful with what you eat. (not strict dieting . But you have to watch out for them carbs... ) That said.. I'm actually struggling with my eating and learned a lot from what you wrote. Thank You!!! And congrats on your weight loss success!!!

Riva_G.
on 8/17/20 8:28 am
DS on 07/18/19

I had this surgery 1 year ago. Every single person has a completely different experience. As for me, as long as I stay away from fatty foods, there isn't much diarrhea. I had very mild heartburn before surgery. My acid reflux and heartburn are REALLY bad now. I'm on two different medications for it. The medication works well and if I'd have to choose this over sleep apnea high blood pressure and all my comorbidities, this is a way better side effect. I wish you all the best!

cengleman82
on 8/17/20 11:04 am - Dalton, GA

I only have acid reflux when it comes to overly acidic things. Like if ate a ton of pickled jalapenos or drank some of the juice or something. You won't have to worry about eating a ton of anything for a very long time. However, just be prepared that things that you can't eat well in the beginning will eventually evolve. For diarrhea, make sure you are eating low fat. Malabsorption of fat is what'll do it the most.

Jmm4321
on 8/17/20 7:47 pm
Most Active