I weight over 600 lbs I just want to know has anyone had success with the surgery who weight...

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/20 11:44 am

I weight over 600 lbs I just want to know has anyone had success with the surgery who weight 600 lbs or over

NYMom222
on 4/6/20 7:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am going to say you need to define what success means to you.

when I went into this surgery I couldn't imagine being a normal size person. I just wanted to be better and healthier than I was. While my tag line says I lost 220 pounds- that is what I lost from WLS. From my heaviest I have probably lost 290 pounds.

The great unknown on the other side of surgery was scary. It was not as scary as staying where I was.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/20 9:19 am

Thank you for replying to me and congratulations on your weight loss

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/7/20 9:16 am

There are many participants in TLC 600+ lbs series who were over 600 and lost to close to normal weight.

If you are going to reach your goal, it is 90% up to you. The other 10 % is how well the doc made sleeve/pouch, what other conditions you have beside that.

But - as I said before, it is only a tool. And would help you lose weight, but you would need to be seriously motivated.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ScaleSkater
on 4/7/20 9:38 am, edited 4/7/20 2:38 am

I was well over 500 pounds, so the issues for us are pretty close to the same. I was almost bedbound. I was one minor injury away or one illness. It took all my energy to go to the toilet. i had to stop 8 times to walk from my car to my desk in the office. I'd like to think of myself as successful. As mentioned, the surgery is just a tool. If you don't work on the underlying addiction and behavior issues, failure is almost inevitable. It's why so many fail - they think getting the surgery will magically make everything better. It won't. It's mainly up to you to be diligent and surround yourself with support systems. I see a therapist every two weeks, go to support group monthly from my surgeon's office, come on her almost daily..... Its a full time job to maintain this weight, but its worth it. Good luck.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Gina 22 years out
on 4/7/20 10:06 am - Burleson, TX

MY body? NO...I never would have lived long, enough, to make it to 600 lbs. I HAVE done 3 different people, IRL, who have been personal friends, with mine, who were over 600 lbs, at the time of their RNY.

For what it's worth, there are SO many "NUMBERS"...all of them more important, than that scale...my Blood Sugar used to be 600...Yea, really...Insulin shots, 4 times, a day, and more...my last insulin pill was 10 months over 17 YEARS, ago...all being MANAGED, by LIFESTYLE and FOOD CHOICES, nowadays

Up until about a month ago, I count PERFECT BLOOD PRESSURE NUMBERS, but something, in my heart haywire, ran amuck...Dang genetics...But, at 340 lbs, most likely wouldn't be here, to even worry about it...or have a Stroke, and slide, in and out, of those MRI and Ct Scans machine

NUMBERS are just NUMBERS...they can be very POSITIVE

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Laura in Texas
on 4/7/20 3:00 pm

Surgeons say if you lose 50% of your excess weight, the surgery was a success.

I would guess you can get down to 400 with not too much effort on your part (the surgery will be doing most of the work). If you want to get closer to 200 pounds it is definitely possible but it will be a lot more work on your part- making better choices, weighing and measuring your food, tracking every bite.

The mental part is the most important. If you are not seeing a counselor already, I highly recommend you find one to talk to. You have to learn to love yourself enough to take better care of yourself. It's something I am still working on 11 years post-RNY.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active