Amber's Story - "My 600 Lb. Life"

Batwingsman
on 12/31/19 7:45 pm - Garland, TX

Thanks for the video. Amber looks still quite heavy in that one .. I take it this was shot before she finished her journey, as she looks a bit smaller in her pics in the article .. (?)

btw, does OH have a National Spokesperson/Celeb chosen yet for 2020?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Member Services
on 1/2/20 5:15 am - Irvine, CA

Most of the photos used are from the show, but if you look in that video, this was after she had her WLS and was about 3-5 yrs out. She is still working on losing and has never had any excess skin removed, so that could be a factor too. She is not involved with 600lb anymore, but she still has the support of her castmates.

As for speakers and agenda, we are still in the process of that, bu****ch for announcements as they will be coming!!

White Dove
on 12/30/19 7:15 am - Warren, OH

Those are amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Batwingsman
on 12/30/19 8:36 pm, edited 12/30/19 12:37 pm - Garland, TX

I was wondering about her legs from the "before" pics. If that is LE, that is one of the worst cases of it I have ever seen. However, there is no mention of her being a LE patient in the article, and her legs do look much more normal in her "after" pics (which would not happen on its own with LE), so maybe it was just all excess fat tissue (lipidemia?) as well as possibly general body fluids due to impaired circulation. If so, she was very lucky in that respect (that coming from a lower limb LE patient myself ).

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 12/31/19 8:21 pm - Garland, TX

Coincidentally (?), here is an updated version of the story, released today (although it shows a publication date of late last November ?). This newer article seems to go a bit more into the psychology behind her weight gain and her WLS. It does mention her separating from Rowdy and getting married to her new husband. Kinda interesting in that Rowdy was a normal weight person and her new husband seems to be a bit on the heavy side himself. That fact may be key to them remaining together a long time. I read a research piece recently that found that marriages in which both partners are in the same weight category, e.g. underweight, normal weight, overweight, are more likely to be successful those those where they were not (no explanation though as to WHY that is the case).

https://www.jerusalemonline.com/view/this-woman-lost-420-pou nds-and-the-internet-is-going-insane/?src=gemini&utm_source= gemini&utm_campaign=382563303&utm_medium=AOL_MAIL&utm_median =mail.aol.com&utm_term=JOL_D_US_this-woman-lost-420-pounds-a nd-the-internet-is-going-insane_roy_w_239824

btw, the headline of the article claimed that Amber's 420-lb. weight loss was a world record. I can't believe that to be true .. Haven't there been others who have lost 500 lbs., 600 lbs., and even more?

Gina 22 years out
on 1/2/20 4:50 am - Burleson, TX

While 420 lbs is a fabulous loss, of course, it is not a "world's record"...A quick Google search produced a whole slew of higher numbers...

Our own OH pioneer, Kirk Thompson, AKA Crow, lost 450...I miss him soooooooo much...Such a wonderful, wonderful mentor and man. RIP, Crow So hard to believe he has been gone since 2009...

Anyone not familiar, with Crow...as most of you, sadly, probably aren't...please check the OH archives, or Google Kirk Thompson Crow - it will bring up his OH Tribute...

Someone smarter than me (most anyone, here!), please link it Meeting Crow, at that first OH Conference, was like meeting Elvis

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Member Services
on 1/2/20 5:18 am - Irvine, CA

Here you go, Gina!

Kirk's profile: https://www.obesityhelp.com/members/thecrow2800/support_wall /

Kirk's memorial page: https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/cmsID,16804/mode,con tent/a,cms/

I was at the first OH Conference as well, I probably met you but truthfully too much going on for me to remember people. Hard to believe we have grown from 150 attendees to over 650!

Gina 22 years out
on 1/2/20 6:30 am - Burleson, TX

Thank you, so much !!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things

Batwingsman
on 1/2/20 9:18 pm - Garland, TX

I don't understand .. after all that weight loss, he just "passed away in his sleep"? Did he suffer from sleep apnea or something?

For some reason, although I was 3 years out then, I don't remember Crow. I did notice some other names mentioned back then on those threads, and wonder how they are doing theses days. "Bo" .. is he still employed by OH? And Ramon and the other two members of the WLS "trilogy" (I forgot his and her names) .. are they still around and doing well? Any chance we could get them to come to the Houston meeting? I met them at the last one there, IIRC (or possibly the one in San Antonio the year before that) ..

Gina 22 years out
on 1/3/20 5:16 am - Burleson, TX

Crow had medical problems. I am still friends with the trilogy of "RYD", especially Yvonne. Ramon is doing well, Debra is in Houston, Yvonne is in her home state of Louisiana, You can find her at bariatricgirl.com, or on Facebook, under the same name

I am Facebook friends, with Bo, so we are "acquaintances"...not real sure what he is doing, career wise

RNY 4-22-02...

We Can Do Hard Things