insurance

melliesmommy
on 10/30/19 6:28 am

Hi gang, I have been waiting for insurance open enrollment to decide if I'm going with my husband's or my insurance. I plan to have weight loss surgery soon. My questions to y'all are what do you wish you would have done/known before you started your journey? And what was your pre-surgery journey with any insurance or more specifically BCHS highmark or anthem? Thanks so much!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/30/19 12:07 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Try using the search function to see topics related to your question on the specific insurance that you're using, & the weight loss journey thing. There's plenty of info if you wander around the site for awhile.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 10/30/19 1:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Who the policy is through doesnt matter, it's the specific policy. Blue Cross has a zillion policies that cover weight loss surgery, and a zillion that don't. Same for every insurance company.

It's like buying car insurance. Want collision? Cost goes up. Want glass replacement? Cost goes up. Want a rental car? Cost goes up.

WLS is an expensive extra, and a lot of companies aren't willing to pay. Check both your husband's and your SPECIFIC policy to see if it is covered. Don't take anyone's word. See it in writing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

melliesmommy
on 10/30/19 4:42 pm

Thanks. I have seen in the plan documents that my company's plan covers it 80% after deductible. And I saved a copy of them for later.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/30/19 3:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have your husband call the phone number on his insurance card and ask for the "coverage guidelines" for bariatric surgery. Talk to your HR rep and see if they can get you the same document for your insurance. This will tell you if it's covered, and if so, what the requirements are.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!