Sleep Apnea with mouth guard

kay_prnz18
on 10/21/19 10:50 am
RNY on 03/05/20

Does anyone use a mouth appliance for sleep apnea? My doctor's office hasn't mentioned anything to me about required compliance. I have very mild OSA and the pressures on the CPAP were too much for me. There's really no way to document compliance with the mouth appliance though...

Marj
on 10/22/19 2:05 pm

Hi. I'm not sure where you live but there is an awesome dentist who also specializes in these sleep apnea appliances. His name is Dr. John Viviano and he is located in Mississauga. Hope this helps.

kay_prnz18
on 10/23/19 12:52 pm
RNY on 03/05/20

I'm sorry I was not clear in my post. I already have my dental retainer. I just am not sure how they would document compliance with that other than me swearing that I wear it.

Marj
on 10/23/19 6:05 pm

Oh, sorry too! I may have read it wrong. I use the CPAP machine and have for years so I can't help you. Good luck though.

jmk187
on 10/23/19 12:54 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I asked my Sleep Doctor about it and he basically said they don't work well and he doesn't recommend it. Although he could have said it because as you mentioned there is no way to document it..which means they lose out on money. He also said there is a weight requirement for them and I would have to lose more weight to be a candidate for it.

There is also a surgical implant device that supposedly works really well..When you get ready for bed you turn on the device with a remote and it can detect when you stop breathing and send and electric impulse while you are asleep to tell you to breath. Works similar too a pacemaker. It's called Inspire.

https://www.inspiresleep.com/

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

kay_prnz18
on 10/23/19 1:21 pm
RNY on 03/05/20

My Sleep Doctor is actually the one *****ferred me to the dental device. There is a little bit of questioning on whether I have true sleep apnea or restrictive airway disease at this point. Apparently my tonsils are huge. I have heard of Inspire, but I'm hesitant to do it because I really don't know if it would help if I don't have true sleep apnea.

I did ask a Nurse at the surgeon's office and I kind of got a generic answer of "whatever you are using is fine." I just don't want to get down to the wire and then have them tell me oops, you have to force yourself to wear your CPAP for however many days. If I have to do it I will, but I just want the heads up so it won't delay my surgery date.

jmk187
on 10/23/19 2:11 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I would ask your surgeons PA or NP. Do you have a way to send a email to your weight loss surgery team? I would ask them if the mouth guard will be ok in place of the CPAP. That you just want to make sure there won't be any issues come surgery day. I think it's better to have things in writing anyways.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Laura in Texas
on 10/29/19 10:11 am

Do you have a fitbit or other fitness tracker that tracks sleep? I love my fitbit and believe it gives me accurate sleep data.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."