Intermittent Fasting

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/8/19 10:18 am

Later during the day my pouch typically can accommodate more food than in first meal of the day. I used to get low BS (hypoglycemia) in the middle of the night, or first thing AM. Mine got really bad after I reached a goal, and had no excess fat left to burn.

Some of my symptoms indicated more issues than just low body fat%. Eventually I was able to see a great endocrinologist and was diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. My adrenals are low enough that I need to supplement steroids (cortisone) and that allow my body to keep my BS more stable during the day. But since cortisone is the "wake up" hormone, I don't supplement late during the day and at night (unless I feel I really need to) so during that time I am more prone to low BS. (cortisone is needed to regulate BS and help convert proteins into sugar - at least that how I understand a few functions of cortisone)

People who take steroids (for whatever reason) often have higher fasting BS.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Marj
on 10/22/19 2:24 pm

I was eating exactly the same way as you and I had my surgery 6 YEARS ago!. I have basically maintained my weight over the years, give or take 10 lbs. here and there. I lost 105. lbs. and I weigh 162. I am 5' 2". My daughter told me about Intermittent fasting. She lost 30 lbs. and she was only a size 10 to begin with. I started a week ago and I have also already lost 5 lbs. and mostly by not eating breakfast, and nothing after dinner. Nothing after 7:00 p.m. She told me about a book called "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung, MD which I bought and he talks a lot about Intermittent fasting and how to go about it. Anyway, I am all for it! I want to lose that last 20 lbs. I have been hanging onto for 5 years! You go girl!