4 years

reree6898
on 9/29/19 11:56 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I haven't been able to be on here much this past year. Yesterday was my 4 year anniversary from having VSG. I still feel that it was the best decision ever for my health and well being. I have lost over 200 pounds. I'm not going to lie, this year has been a bit of a roller coaster. I got married almost a year ago then after two months of marriage my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Through four hospital stays and two surgeries thank God he is fine now and cancer free. While that journey could have been so much worse than it was it still took a tole. I also went through some wacky health issues with hormones and things and had to work on getting my house fixed up and sold.

I went for my annual check in with my surgeon on Friday and despite the fact that I've gained 13 pounds back they were still very pleased with my overall progress and the fact that I am getting things back in control. I've been struggling with feeing a bit like a failure due to the little bit of regain however they said that with all I've had to deal with this year they were surprised at how well I've maintained. Overall things now have settled down and are going good. I'm working on getting back to my lowest weight and enjoying time with my wonderful husband.

The black and white photo is what my surgeon gave me from my first consultation day compared to my four year check in and the other one is from today.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

TheWombat
on 9/29/19 12:17 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I think you can be very proud of yourself that, with all you've gone through, you only gained 13 pounds. I'm sure you will be able to lose that without too much trouble.

White Dove
on 9/29/19 1:19 pm - Warren, OH

You look wonderful Congratulations on doing so well.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 9/29/19 9:35 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

a 10 to 20 lb weight gain is pretty common in year 3, even if you're not dealing with difficult issues. SOOO...you've actually done amazingly well, given everything you've gone through!

You look great - and to be honest, I can't tell you've gained 13 lbs. I know the feeling, though - I've gained about that much since my lowest weight, too. My surgeon just shrugged, but I'd like to take at least some of that off. Even five pounds would be great!

I'm pretty sure you were on the RNY meal thread at one time - come join us again!

reree6898
on 9/30/19 7:55 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I haven't been on the RNY thread, I had VSG. I was pretty active on the general board and the VSG boards for a long time but just haven't had much time this year with everything that has gone on.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

catwoman7
on 9/30/19 7:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I probably know you from VSG threads, then - at any rate, I recognize your picture! I did note you had VSG, but we do have a few VSGers on the RNY menu thread, so I figured you might have been one of them at one time. But no - it would have been from other threads. At any rate, welcome back!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/1/19 6:07 am, edited 10/1/19 11:58 pm

Congratulations on maintaining and keeping it together.

When I see poster mention that "I have not be here much, but...." I often judge before I finish reading... As, "look at that, she/he forgot about OH and people who needed help until she/he needs something or want to "show off " in a "look at me" post. I often skip posts like that.

But in your case I misjudged you. And I'm sorry about that. At my age I'm still learning. You really have a valid reason, not that you need to justify it for me, why you were not present on OH. Still ...15 lbs is not a huge amount of weight. It may be significant for you, and something you may chose to work on to get rid of.

But really examine if you need to lose the 15 lbs.

When initially I lost over 110 lbs, I got really skinny. Unhealthy skinny. But 10 years ago there were not many body DEXA scan available all over the country. Body DEXA scan can show you exactly where you remained fat is, and how much, if any, is safe for you to lose if you chose to. I know that when I get down to around 150-155, so technically app 10-15 lbs above my lowest weight, my total body fat % is 20 -23%. Hardly overweight, but my BMI is app 26,( overweight).

Now theoretically, women needs to maintain their total body fat % between 20-30%. To be healthy. And have fat reserves in case of illness, for even something like a really bad food poisoning, or even C-diff infection (nasty infection in the gut). The listed minimum body fat % for woman should not drop below 14-15%.

So, maybe before you decide what to do now, see if you can find a facility to precisely measure your body fat% .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lisa F.
on 10/14/19 2:27 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Congratulations! Your most recent photo shows a strong woman who has persevered through many challenges. This road is not easy. I'm 3 years out and dealing with my own weight gain of about 20 lbs. It's humbling, for sure, but I think our mindset is so important during the early stages of weight re-gain, in that we don't have to panic, or view it as inevitable but rather a temporary setback that can be overcome with focus, perseverance and belief in ourselves.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

GorgeousBD
on 11/8/19 6:59 am

I really appreciate such resonating stories.

Thank you for sharing!

reree6898
on 11/10/19 5:25 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you!

Had VSG on 9/28/15