Discretely carrying and taking vitamins as a man

RnYMan
on 9/25/19 6:32 am
RNY on 10/08/19

I am 13 days before RnY surgery. I met with the dietitian last week and got the details of all of the vitamins I will need to take. I knew I would need them but had not realized they would have to be separated from each other in time and I will be taking vitamins at 4 different times during the day. Forever. That's a lot to keep track of. All of my current MEDs are twice daily, and that's never been a problem.

I work long long hours and have coworkers or learners by my side all day, without breaks. As a man, I'm not sure how to logistically carry the pills without a purse. My pockets ate already full. What do you carry them in?

and I don't want everyone's attention ruin to be brought to the fact that I have to stop and take pills (even if they are vitamins) throughout the day.

I know these are perhaps silly logistical questions and maybe just reflective of general anxiety about the surgery, but I hope to get some good tips from you guys.

Thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 9/25/19 7:17 am

How about one of those passport pouches that goes around your neck? Or a fanny pack? If anyone has any questions, just say you are working on becoming healthier and your doctor wants you to take more vitamins. You do not have to mention weight loss surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RnYMan
on 9/25/19 8:19 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

Thanks.

I wear a suit suit and tie at work, so the passport and fanny pack approach won't work. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

Partlypollyanna
on 9/25/19 7:18 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I have never had anyone ask "what is that" when I take my vitamins, iron and calcium throughout the day. If they did I would say "vitamins".

I travel a significant amount of time for work - I load all my vitamins in a carrier and then For that day, I put them in my pocket and take them as needed.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

RnYMan
on 9/25/19 6:42 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

I'm probably much more worried about what other people are going to think about it the. I need to be.

Partlypollyanna
on 9/25/19 7:38 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

People are going to think what they think, whether you worry about it or not. Don't give them space in your head! (Easier to say than to do, I know!)

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Julia S.
on 9/25/19 7:37 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I would recommend the Mango Health App you put in it what you need to take and when and it reminds you. At first I thought it was impossible, but with the app it is easy. I have a pill carrier the Sunday-Saturday kind and fill it up on Monday and leave it on my desk. Don't know if that helps, but you will figure it out.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Batwingsman
on 9/25/19 7:57 am - Garland, TX

Curious as to exactly which vits you have been told to take w. your RNY? I thought we DSers were the "vit and mineral supp." kings/queens (or "slaves"?). In fact, I thought the only supplement an RNYer needs is B-12, and that sometimes is not even necessary.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

ScaleSkater
on 9/25/19 8:15 am

Are you post-op? There are a number of important supplements that are life long. You need to take calcium, B12 (and no it's not optional), many need Vitamin D, multivitamins and iron supplements. If you are not, please confirm with your doctor what you should be taking. Because those who take no supplements get themselves into serious trouble over time. Also from what I understand, at least for my program, All forms of WLS require supplementation, with DSers needing a little more watchouts to their blood levels.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Batwingsman
on 9/25/19 7:57 pm - Garland, TX

Post op - (8/06) .. Wow, I just noticed that my posts no longer have my surgery date/type in the upper right corner. Some of the other members' posts are missing it, too. wth???

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active