Lab results came back. A1C Normal..Still spilling protein in urine

jmk187
on 9/5/19 8:21 am
VSG on 02/13/19

My a1c is 5.1..amazing and I thought for sure it was going to be a little higher since I have been eating more food now. But it took me 7 years to finally get my diabetes under control. Did I wait too long and did the disease damage my kidneys? I am scared I am going to end up on dialysis and my life is over. Now I am just waiting for the email from my endocrinologist. 6 months ago he switched me to a different high bloodpressure med because he said it would help protect my kidneys because of the protein spilling. Doesnt seem to be working.

Component Your Value Standard Range
MICROALBUMIN, UR 305.0 mg/L 0.0 to 23.0 mg/L0.0 - 23.0 mg/L
CREAT, UR 351.3 mg/dL mg/dLmg/dL
VERIFIED AND REPEATED ON DILUTED SAMPLE.
MALB/CREAT RATIO 86.8 mg/g 0.0 to 20.0 mg/g0.0 - 20.0 mg/g

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Willie H.
on 9/5/19 9:18 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hey, you're doing well! You've taken accountability and you are working hard. Your life is NOT over even if you have to get on dialysis which I hope is not the case. Your personal posts help a lot of others whether you know it or not. All of us are facing consequences of choices we've made earlier in life, whether financially, emotional or health-wise but in now taking accountability we trending toward a change for better. Does it take those consequences away-sometimes, sometimes not? But we can continue to encourage and help others. So hang in there, knowing our outlook each day gets a little better, a little more positive. There will continue to be ups and downs, highs and lows but keep doing what you're doing, keep encouraging us, and know that right now you are doing what you need to be doing! Wish you well on your outcome.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

jmk187
on 9/5/19 4:52 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Thank you Willie. Your words are powerful because I feel better reading this post.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

TheWombat
on 9/6/19 8:01 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Hopefully you've heard back from your endocrinologist by now, so you can double-check what I'm about to say. I have a loved one who was diabetic and had kidney failure, so I know a little something about the subject. He had a pancreas and kidney transplant about 20 years ago (and is doing great), so I've forgotten some of the details about how to interpret the labs.

My understanding of kidney disease is that you can only hope to stop further damage; the kidneys aren't going to "heal" or "get better". That's not as bad as it sounds because your body can cope with low kidney function. In fact, one of the problems with kidney decline is that there are no symptoms until the function falls to about 10%. But this also means that if you have prevented further kidney damage, your quality of life should not be affected.

With that said, I think what you need to focus on is whether your labs are worse than the last time, or about the same. I suspect the values related to kidney function will never be back in the normal range. You might ask your endocrinologist about what to expect from the labs going forward.

TheWombat
on 9/6/19 8:07 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Putting the patient on blood pressure meds to help protect the kidneys is, I believe, standard medical practice. However, if your diabetes is in remission and you don't actually have high blood pressure, then I'd ask your endocrinologist if they want you to continue that particular medication. Maybe it's a good precaution to continue it; I have no idea.

jmk187
on 9/6/19 8:15 am
VSG on 02/13/19

That's really good that your loved one is doing good now..and yeah that's why I was really concerned because my labs are way worst than 6 months ago. In general my peeing has not been the same since I was taken off a blood pressure medication with a water pill before the surgery. I don't pee as much anymore and when I do pee sometimes it feels like I have to pee but the stream is so weak. So when I gave that urine sample even though I had drank about 44oz of water already in the morning then another large cup of water at the blood lab just before I gave the sample..I could only produce a small amount of urine. And it was pretty concentrated. And my endocrinologist hasn't e-mailed me yet..but I specifically emailed my primary care physician so I am sure he is contact with my endocrinologist on what is going on and what they will do. My PCP is pretty thorough and is always on top of everything.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Melody P.
on 9/6/19 11:05 am - Amarillo, TX

I'm sorry you're having this issue! I don't know much about this issue so I can't offer advice.

hope you get a call or e-mail soon and get a plan of action! Let us know what you find out.

Mel

jmk187
on 9/6/19 12:01 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Thanks Melody. I will continue to update this thread when I find out more.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/19 2:55 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

I'm sorry too that you're having this issue.

Hopefully you receive good news from your endocrinologist soon.

BTW congratulations on getting off your diabetes medication. I was diabetic for one year prior to surgery and am so grateful to be off those meds!

Jannie7
on 9/9/19 8:09 am
VSG on 06/17/19

You are doing so great and are such an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge and advise. I'm hoping this is a minor problem that they can help you with relatively easily. You will be in my thoughts and I look forward to hearing about what your doctors say.