Sips surgery

Riva_G.
on 8/20/19 9:04 am
DS on 07/18/19

Hey everyone! So, I'm new here, and I'm wondering if anyone on here did the sips? I had mine done at Westchester hospital with Dr Mitchel Roslin, July 18 2019. I've been searching everywhere and its almost impossible to find anyone who's done this surgery. I would really like support/ advice from others.

Partlypollyanna
on 8/20/19 1:26 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I had to look this up, I wasn't familiar with it. Since it's a DS variation, you may get more response if you post on the DS forum. Hope your recovery is going well and although we may not be familiar with your specific surgery, hope you can find some support here!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/19 2:11 pm

Mitch did my SADi DS / SIPS in Nov 2014. He's an extraordinary physician with 1,000's of wls procedures performed so you were in good hands. If you're experience is like mine, you'll lose all the weight, experience some short term side effects during the weight loss transition, and then balance out.

I lost more weight than expected, gained some back that I needed and now I'm very lean but healthy. On a normal day, I eat 3k+ calories, 300 to 400 grams of carbs, and anything else I want. I also exercise about 5 times a week now that I can. Anytime I start to gain or lose weight, it gravitates back to around 160lbs for me, as a 6'1 male. Mitch said my body takes in what it needs to maintain lean muscle and then flushes out everything else. My experience over 5 years confirms this to be true.

Riva_G.
on 8/25/19 12:49 pm
DS on 07/18/19

Thanks for the feed back. I'm 5 weeks out and have lost 28lbs. Things are going quite slow for me, and although I know the weight will come of, I feel like I'm not seeing enough results. I will lose about three lbs and then stall for a week... I will agree that Dr. Roslin is the best out there. Thanks again.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/19 6:44 pm

At 5 weeks out I was down maybe 15lbs but knew it was working. At a year out it was 150lbs. Stay focused on your health and follow the plan.

The tortoise wins this race.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/25/19 8:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Search the forums for "three week stall." This happens to pretty much everybody regardless of which surgery they had.

28lb in 5 weeks is not slow. If anything, it's pretty normal for the first month post op, after which most folks see their loss slow down to a couple of pounds per week, slow and steady.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

catwoman7
on 8/26/19 4:39 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think people's expectations of WLS have been affected by shows like "My 600 lb Life". They're just not realistic for the average WLS patient, who doesn't start off anywhere near the BMI's that patients on that show start at. Starting BMI (as well as gender, age, metabolic rate, etc) is a big factor in your rate of weight loss.

at 28 lbs in five weeks, you're very normal. Just stick to your plan and the weight will come off. Your commitment to the plan will have a MUCH greater effect on your success than your rate of weight loss will.

Riva_G.
on 8/26/19 2:16 pm
DS on 07/18/19

Lol. I hate that show! It portrays obese people as people who don't stop eating and their whole life revolves around food. Unfortunately, many people view fat people in that way. I wish people would know just how hard I've worked and how many diets I tried, only to gain back more weight than I lost. I've been obese all my life ( I'm 17) its going to be quite weird not being fat...

catwoman7
on 8/26/19 3:31 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

yea I don't like the way they show people taking showers or sitting on the toilet, either. I mean really??? Why do they have to humiliate them like that??? And you're right about the eating. I ate around 3000 calories a day when I was obese. Yes, it's a lot compared to what I'm eating now - and to most women my height and weight, but I know a lot of active men who probably eat that much. I wasn't exactly eating 12 Big Macs a day or anything. But that's a lot of people's perceptions of obese people...

NWhite24
on 9/7/19 3:49 am
DS on 09/17/19
On August 26, 2019 at 9:16 PM Pacific Time, Riva_G. wrote:

Lol. I hate that show! It portrays obese people as people who don't stop eating and their whole life revolves around food. Unfortunately, many people view fat people in that way. I wish people would know just how hard I've worked and how many diets I tried, only to gain back more weight than I lost. I've been obese all my life ( I'm 17) its going to be quite weird not being fat...

Same!

I wish I had just looked into the WLS process when I was younger, before college.

I'm 26, been overweight since before I was 8 and obese before 12. I can't remember a time in which I weighed under 200lbs (closest I got was summer before 8th grade when I went to fat camp and lost 30lbs... and I was still over 200 by 10lbs). I was teased in Kindergarten and 1st grade for being fat.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself once the weight is gone- it's been all I've ever known for wayyy too long.