Bariatric-Friendly Comfort Food Hacks - Please Add Your Favorite Recipes! MEXICAN

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/29/19 11:12 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My first instant pop experiment is cooking. Used a hungry girl recipe. It is coming up to pressure now. The "6 min" means 6 min after it gets up to pressure and before it cools down enough to be open safely. So I think the real world cooling time is about 30 min - which is what I remember as a kid using an old fashion pressure cooker - usually cuts cooking time in half.

It does smell good. Orange chicken.

What I like is that is says you can cook from frozen - that keeps things fresher. (Esp because I pull something out to defrost for the next day, then something comes up and I remember about the pkt of chx that is defrosting in refrig a few days later. With these instant pots - it seems you can wait and pull it out of the freezer when you need and only add 5-10 min of cooking time. Is that true? My first experiment is with fresh chicken breasts.

Sharon

The Salty Hag
on 7/29/19 4:44 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I've never actually cooked from frozen, so I'm not familiar with how much cooking time to add. I'm just used to thawing stuff out. I think the seasonings would "stick" better with thawed meat. I really love the results I get, so I figure if it isn't broke, ya know? Are you a member of the Instant Pot/ pressure cooker Communities on Facebook? They have a lot of tips and tricks.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/19 8:15 am

I had the same question . Are you using chicken broth to cook it ? Do you brown it first?

The Salty Hag
on 7/29/19 9:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I use chicken broth usually. If I've run ou****er works just as well. For anything Mexican, I always add a little lime juice too. I put it directly on the meat. I don't bother browning meat first. I find it shreds easier if I don't. I just season the meat very, very well. Maybe too much for some, but it always comes out yummy. My family loves it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/19 12:51 pm

Ty

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/19 12:27 am, edited 7/30/19 5:29 pm

South-Of-the Border Grilled Shrimp ****tail

I?ve never been a fan of half - raw shrimp ( like the way you get frozen supposedly pre-cooked shrimp - the companies cook it just barely to leave the most weight not for the best taste in my opinion ) Also they?re frequently not cleaned front n back and this skeeves me out .

so I prefer to add a little flavor and grilling . I usually start with raw wild caught 11-15 or 16-20 shrimp so fairly big ones and peel and clean out the black vein in both sides . I soak them in water w a little vinegar while I?m cleaning the rest to get any residual fishy taste out.

Spray oiling a non-stick pan i toast several chopped up garlic cloves and add one envelope Goya adobo seasoning w annato ( gives them a nice yellow color and great flavor ) I dilute with about a cup organic chicken broth and white Chinese cooking wine . I let the broth cook down and caramelize then briefly place the shrimp in the broth coloring it and finally finish cooking on a preheated indoor grill . Serve with traditional pre made horseradishy ****tail sauce for six shrimp and 1/2 cup sauce

calories- 6 11-15 shrimp - approx 100 cal protein :

25-30 grams 0 carbs 0 fat Horseradish ****tail sauce 4 ounces calories 25 fat 0 protein 1 gram carb 13 grams