Former NFL QB Jared Lorenzen Dead At (Only) 38

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/19 6:41 am

As much as I would like to believe that your type of a Medically Supervised Methods of losing weight is a great alternative to WLS, I am afraid that one day you would look back on your life and see that it is not.

I used to be like you. I think some of us that are trying to tell you that - you are not hearing us. I used to against WLS. I looked into that when I was in my 30's, and decided it was a barbaric procedure, and that I can lose weight and maintain it on my own. And that worked for a while.

But then my body revolted and I gained all the weight back and then some.

In the years when I was constantly on one or another "healthy diet", I caused enough damage to my system that at the end - no diet or pills, or anything really worked. And I am stubborn, very dedicated person. When I was dedicated to an eating plan, and exercise, I followed that almost to a point of obsession.

I think we, and medical community, still we have not idea why some people get so heavy, obese, while others have no problem maintaining normal, or close to normal weight.

There is still no answer to that. No real answer IMO.

We know there are hormonal imbalances that can lead to weight gain. It is not calories in - calories out. There is more to that.

Getting WLS changed my body hormonal response to food. This is the first time in my life that I have to work to maintain weight. Both losing and gaining. The WLS changed that for me. As it did for so many others.

I wish I had WLS when I was in my late 30's. But probably I would get the band, as it was the most popular type of WLS.

Unfortunately I got WLS as a last resort to lose weight and improve my system. I have back issues, and any extra pounds caused additional severe pain to my body.

I am glad you are doing the medically supervised diet. And you are losing weight.

One on my only concern for you would be the nutritional advice you are getting. Unfortunately the nutritional advice, as thought in USA, are IMO not designed to really help a person to deal with hormonal imbalances. To be over 200 lbs overweight, it is rather safe to assume you have hormonal imbalances.

A person with properly balanced hormones - they eat when hungry, and stop when they have enough. For me before my WLS - my eating was almost never "enough". Now, post op WLS - I get, understand that. I have many meals that I eat and when I reach "I have enough" I stop, even if there is just "2 bites" left. And that applies to regular meals, or snacks, or even desserts. I can have 1-2 chocolate candies and not have the third.

I wish you best, but remember, a lot of us who gave in and had WLS - we were like you at one time. Maybe not 100 or 200 lbs overweight when starting some " medically supervised program", but # of lbs is not as important as the process itself.

Getting back to "nutritional advice" - why do I think that? One of my major concern is the diet and medication recommended for people with diabetes. Full of carbs, whole grain, etc. When that really doesn't stabilize person BS, just make them more dependent on medication and then insuIin. The newest studies are showing that that diet can be really wrong, and cause more issues. But it is still thought and recommended.

There are a few people that I know who have diabetes, and they showed me their diet, and I watch them getting worse over time.

I hope your nut is better than that. But only time would tell.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

btm61
on 7/12/19 9:34 am

For the last three of you that have posted allow me this, I AM NOT ON A DIET!!!! and that is something you clearly do not understand. I am eating to USDA guidelines and I can eat anything I want so long as I stay in those guidelines. I went to DQ a couple of evenings ago and had a Peanut Buster Parfait but I don't do it every day and I don't do it every week, maybe once ever 6 weeks. I eat M&M's and Goldfish crackers. To be sure I eat my share of salads, veggies, fruit, and meat as well. I eat 3 square meals per day and snack in between. I have NEVER taken a meal replacement shake or diet pill of any kind, and THAT is the foundation of the Medically Managed Program to which I refer. Those that utilize meal replacement anythings may be medically managed, but they are not Medically Managed, and THAT is the whole crux of my posts. Any idiot with a functioning brain should know that if you go from drinking one or two meal replacement shakes to eating three meals a day exactly what the result will be before they begin. In two years I have never taken a meal replacement shake or supplement, and I never will have to, and because of that my long term success is guaranteed. Once I reach my ideal weight range I will have to continue to be diligent in my eating and exercise and that will continue for the rest of my life.

My dad went through a similar program that all of you have been on at an area hospital. He started on two meal replacement shakes per day and then eventually dropped to just one shake. He had an exercise program that was cookie cutter because he started. He did his exercises with no supervision other than his weekly check-in at the hospital. He paid good money to buy his shakes and supplements at the hospital, and after losing nearly 50 pounds in a handful of months, he gained it all back, and more, when he started eating three meals per day again. Does any of that sound familiar to you?

You all claim that I'm not hearing you, and you couldn't be more wrong. The very fact that you put "exercise physiologist" and "medically managed" in quotation marks tells me that you don't know what you don't know (no condescension intended). Exercise Physiologists, by definition, make up less than 10% of those who are considered fitness trainers in the industry, the other 90% got their certificates through an online course they paid $100 to complete. Medically Managed is a specific type of weight loss program that does NOT include meal replacement shakes or supplements as part of the program and has very strict guidelines as to what IS included in this program. Of the 100 or so weight loss clinics in our state, only two of them have a Medically Managed program and we are one of them. We have an onsite gym manned by our Exercise Physiologist who tracks the progress of her 375 clients on a daily basis, and not one of us is doing the same exercises or the same program as another. Just last week I became the first patient in the clinic's 25 year history to be put on a HIIT program (I'm not looking for applause). You all are condemning me to failure because you failed at a program designed to insure your failure, but I'm telling you I will succeed because I'm in a program designed to insure my success, as long as I do my due diligence. You all aren't hearing me, no condescension intended.

Partlypollyanna
on 7/12/19 12:33 pm, edited 7/12/19 5:33 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've never said a single thing about you being on a diet or condemning you to failure, my only commentary has been about your lack of understanding of the wide variety of options, your assumptions that you understand everyone else programs better than they do and your chest thumbing that your program is better. There are may ways to success -- finding what works for you shouldn't lead to your rudeness about people that found other ways to their success. (My program also never required that I purchase shakes, take supplements from them, and would also say that there was no "diet" per se, but life style changes).

In spite of your rudeness and attacks, your assumptions on what people know or don't know/political affiliations/reading levels' tc pretty much everyone has congratulated you on your success in finding what worked for you because we've all been there and do understand how hard it is and that finding success and something sustainable that works for each of is important. Shame it's not a two way street but we all know, some people want to be supportive and some people want to be "right".

*edited for spelling

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

btm61
on 7/12/19 1:24 pm

Polly, the only way you can say I've been rude is if you've read all of the other posts on this thread criticizing me and dooming me to failure because I have no clue what I'm talking about, as well as the countless personal attacks, and then ignore them. I have NEVER said that my way was the only way and I just finished saying that WLS is clearly the answer FOR SOME PEOPLE, but for those considering their options, and have not yet made their minds up, I'm here to say there are other options. for those who don't have a clue what I'm talking about or no clue how our program works, then tell me that 97% of people who attempt to lose weight fail, is complete bullsh**. I have said many, many times that I don't know all of the ins and outs of WLS, and I will continue to admit same despite people who are hellbent on destroying my character and honesty. Trouble is that for many of the folks on this thread that will NEVER happen, because they know all there is to know. It's NOT me making that claim it's them, and if you read their posts you will find several folks who have condemned me to failure simply because they failed, and that, in and of itself, is the very foundation of arrogance. These same people look for every post I have ever made, and then constantly spill their hatred and condemnation against me hoping that I will shut up. For Citizen kIM and all the rest, IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

I have opinions, and I do my best to base those opinions on facts and truth. I have done the research and to claim that 93%-97% of people who attempt to lose weight fail is a complete and total lie. I've looked at hundreds of true, academic research projects and not one of them comes to that conclusion, NOT ONE!!! but to these folks I am the liar and will one day regret my decision. The first time that claim was made they kept referring to me as "she" when I have been a male for many, many years, about 57 of them to be exact. But I'm the liar and the know-it-all. The only thing they actually have against me is that I see things for what they are, and it flies in the face of everything they've been told or heard before. As I have said, there are many people in this 33 billion per year business that are unethical and boldfaced liars who will do or say anything as long as it puts money in their pocket.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/12/19 2:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think you missed a couple of noteworthy articles in your search of "hundreds of true academic research projects."

"In controlled settings, participants *****main in weight loss programs usually lose approximately 10% of their weight. However, one third to two thirds of the weight is regained within 1 year, and almost all is regained within 5 years." (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8363212)

Data from the scientific community indicate that a 15-wk diet or diet plus exercise program produces a weight loss of about 11 kg with a 60-80% maintenance after 1 yr. Although long-term follow-up data are meager, the data that do exist suggest almost complete relapse after 3-5 yr. (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10449014)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

btm61
on 7/12/19 2:58 pm

Sprinklekitty, One abstract (with no reference to the actual study or it's methodology) from 26 years ago and another 15 week program from 20 years ago is your "evidence"? Seriously? That data is so old that neither one of the actual studies can be referenced, only their abstract. Never mind that both of these studies were conducted BEFORE the Medically Managed Programs existed. Bye for now.

on 7/12/19 4:35 pm, edited 7/12/19 9:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I spent two minutes on Google and PubMed and listed the first couple of things that popped up; I'm not about to waste my time digging for further citations for someone who's going to blow me off anyway.

Oddly enough, I found zero evidence of any weight-loss studies done by Stanford University in 2015, much less anything discussing Medically Managed (capitalized), which you seem to keen to refer to.

Also, it's SPARKLE, not "Sprinkle." The least you could do is be polite enough to use someone's actual name-- especially when you're so irked about (alleged) name-calling.

btm61
on 7/12/19 7:50 pm

Sparkle, your quote from the second link is iobnteresating but your forgot to finish the quote so I'll do it for you. "Although long-term follow-up data are meager, the data that do exist suggest almost complete relapse after 3-5 yr. The paucity of data provided by the weight-loss industry has been inadequate or inconclusive. Those who challenge the use of diet and exercise solely for weight control purposes base their position on the absence of weight-loss effectiveness data and on the presence of harmful effects of restrictive dieting. Any intervention strategy for the obese should be one that would promote the development of a healthy lifestyle."

I didn't randomly dismiss your so-called research, it's that no one would consider this to be real because of the very fact that they say they are making the assumption that everyone gained all of the weight back. I could tell you that participating in a 15 week program would lead to those results. 15 weeks isn't long enough to change a lifetime of bad habits. Furthermore, the fact that neither study or their methodology is available in any format on any website suggests a combination of factors exist: 1) the methodology was flawed, 2) experimenter bias existed to the point that the results of the data is compromised, 3) there is so little data that there is no support for the conclusions suggested in the abstract, 4) the data is so old as to be irrelevant. If you believe that no medical advances in the area of obesity have been made since 1992, then by all means, believe that this is real. As for me, I would rather accept the data of a study concluded just three years ago, with all methodology and data available. Believe what you will, just be honest about it and quit spouting it as fact.

on 7/12/19 7:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On July 13, 2019 at 2:50 AM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Sparkle, your quote from the second link is iobnteresating but your forgot to finish the quote so I'll do it for you. "Although long-term follow-up data are meager, the data that do exist suggest almost complete relapse after 3-5 yr. The paucity of data provided by the weight-loss industry has been inadequate or inconclusive. Those who challenge the use of diet and exercise solely for weight control purposes base their position on the absence of weight-loss effectiveness data and on the presence of harmful effects of restrictive dieting. Any intervention strategy for the obese should be one that would promote the development of a healthy lifestyle."

I didn't randomly dismiss your so-called research, it's that no one would consider this to be real because of the very fact that they say they are making the assumption that everyone gained all of the weight back. I could tell you that participating in a 15 week program would lead to those results. 15 weeks isn't long enough to change a lifetime of bad habits. Furthermore, the fact that neither study or their methodology is available in any format on any website suggests a combination of factors exist: 1) the methodology was flawed, 2) experimenter bias existed to the point that the results of the data is compromised, 3) there is so little data that there is no support for the conclusions suggested in the abstract, 4) the data is so old as to be irrelevant. If you believe that no medical advances in the area of obesity have been made since 1992, then by all means, believe that this is real. As for me, I would rather accept the data of a study concluded just three years ago, with all methodology and data available. Believe what you will, just be honest about it and quit spouting it as fact.

Once again: I pulled the first articles I saw because there are (apparently) LOTS more out there. I'm not going to waste my time pulling more citations when you're not inclined to listen to anything that challenges your worldview.

on 7/12/19 7:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Also, if your 2015 Stanford study is so amazing, I'd love to read it. My Googling, however, has turned up zero.