Went in for a RNY and woke up with a VSG

TipsyT
on 6/22/19 7:53 am
RNY on 06/18/19

Apparently, when they laid me down on the OR table I turned purple (bad circulation in neck?). My surgeon was concerned about keeping me out long enough to do the RNY so I got the sleeve instead.

Of course, all my pre-op research and mental prep was for the RNY. Any great leads and where I can catch up on info for my new VSG lifestyle?

Thanks,

Trish

jenorama
on 6/22/19 8:02 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Honestly, they're not much different. You'll still need to keep an eye on your vitamins and minerals via blood tests and supplement as necessary. You won't get the 12 to 18 month malabsorption boost, but from what I've seen on here weight loss rates are pretty similar. The same rules about no drinking while eating, measuring your food and eating protein forward still apply.

There is a separate VSG board you will probably want to take a look at. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble in the OR and I'm glad you came through all right!

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/19 8:24 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

VSG is working great for me! I think we just follow the same instructions as the RNY folks! Three month appt is on Monday so I'll be asking lots of questions regarding post op instructions.

I was told I would be having RNY all throughout the 18 months of pre op appointments. Then two weeks before surgery during my meet the surgeon appt. I'm told they may have to switch to VSG if they run into too much scar tissue from prior surgeries.

Good luck to you!

jmk187
on 6/23/19 1:01 am
VSG on 02/13/19

First let me say I am sorry you didnt get the surgery you wanted. But your life is the most important thing. And you are here to talk about this. So Yay!

At the program I went to. Everything i learned leading up to the surgery was the same stuff every patient learned no matter the surgery they got. For my follow up Post Op appointments it seems like the PA just kept on saying "you wont have to worry about this since you are a sleeve" Or You wont have to take this because you got the sleeve" and would just cross out things on the sheets of paper. They gave me the same post op diet as people with RNY got. And I have been doing really good with my sleeve. I have lost 60lbs so far since feb. when my surgery was. I had watched losts of videos on youtube about people who have had the Sleeve. I learned alot from them..But above everything, the main thing I did was what my Program told me to do. I had those Post op packets next to my box of medications and I looked it over often. I followed it to a T.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Amy R.
on 6/23/19 10:44 am

I'm glad you're here to tell the tale and that you have such a positive outlook. It's a bit surprising that they did any surgery at all if your circulation was that reduced, but I'm no medical professional so don't know too much about that stuff.

You might get a little more traffic on the VSG Forum. You'll also pick up tips there about the post-op VSG life. My understanding is that they are very similar once surgery is done. You can probably use a good part of the research you'd already done.

Good luck, keep asking questions until you get answers, and big congrats that you made it through surgery.

reree6898
on 6/25/19 6:26 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Sorry to hear that you had trouble during surgery. I am glad your surgeon was on top of things though to make sure to do what was the safest for you. As others have said all post-op is about the same except that you don't have as much mal-absorption with sleeve as with bypass so in my view that is a bit better because you can still get more nutrients that your body needs a bit easier. I had the sleeve and have lost over 220 pounds. I am coming up on 4 years out from surgery and still doing great and have not had regain.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!