Gastric Bypass vs. Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: How did you choose?

Dcgirl
on 6/13/19 8:15 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I wanted the malabsorption to help me reach goal in a year (that was my goal). I didn't have diabetes or any history of acid reflux, but I felt like I would be more successful with RNY. I was 5'4", 351 lbs day of surgery, 36 year old female at the time.

I lost all the weight in one year, and maintained well during years 2 and 3. Year 4 I had some regain and it's a daily struggle for me to lose it. I think you can be successful with either surgery, but it's up to you once your pouch or stomach matures.

I am super happy with my RNY and have not regretted it for a second!

Haley_Martinez
on 6/13/19 8:20 am
RNY on 05/03/18

Like others have said, I had acid re flux so VSG would've been a very bad idea for me, but the only thing that did was make it super easy to convince my surgeon that I should get a RNY. I was 100% set on RNY from the second that I looked at the data and saw the statistically, RNY helps you lose more weight and makes it more likely to keep it off. Hell, I would've gone with the DS if anyone in my area had offered it. I had failed at weight loss so many times before, I wanted the surgery that was going to help me lose the most, the quickest, and keep it off the longest.

Attached is a study done comparing the two surgeries if data is the kind of thing that really helps you make up your mind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5187368/

Good Luck!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Valerie G.
on 6/16/19 12:58 pm, edited 6/16/19 5:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

He is right for the amount of weight you need to lose, and if you suffer any GERD, the bypass is definitely what you want.

I went another route with even better long-term results (duodenal switch-DS). I would actually recommend the DS over the bypass, but the surgeons who do it aren't as plentiful.

I have seen plenty of success and failure with the bypass and sleeve. One advantage of the sleeve is that if you don't get the long-term results you hope for, you are halfway to a DS already for a revision.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lauren010110
on 6/17/19 9:08 am - Victorville, CA

I had my "Come to Jesus" moment... I have a problem with sugar and overeating... I needed something to physically make me ill to scare me straight.

Romanceauthor
on 6/18/19 1:21 pm
VSG on 05/28/19

It came down to a discussion with my family. I laid out the information on both procedures and even showed them the diagrams so they had a visual on what would be done. I also shared with them the pros and cons of each based on what my surgeon said they voiced their concerns and asked their questions. As a group we decided that the sleeve would be the best choice. I'm three weeks out from surgery now and I'm happy to say I don't regret my decision at all. Loving how energetic I'm starting to feel and I've already lost nearly twenty pounds.

Jenn1
on 6/18/19 3:45 pm
VSG on 06/04/14
On June 12, 2019 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, finding__sara wrote:

I had my bariatric surgery consultation on May 25th. At the time I went in, I was pretty settled on the sleeve gastrectomy surgery. To my surprise, the consulting physician said he actually recommended the RNY Gastric bypass surgery for me instead.

To be honest, with the rise in popularity and success I have seen with the VSG, I didn't even consider the bypass. Everyone raves that you do not deal with as many risks and such afterwards.

He stated that the reason he recommended it was because of exactly how much weight I need to lose (160lbs) coupled with my history of big losses along with big gains. He said that in the long term, RNY patients gain less weight back.

For reference, I am 5'0 tall and was 334 at the time of consult.

He made it clear that it WAS my choice; and I would be successful in both, but if I am thinking long term and coupling with my history, it was his recommendation for the bypass.

I am looking for others who went through this kind of decision making process. How did you finally decide? What made that final decision easiest for you?

Gastric Bypass Vs. Sleeve link below

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sl eeve-surgery/