CBD oil

LilliannaDavid
on 9/17/23 9:11 pm
DickDavis
on 6/2/19 5:00 pm

My sister is looking into weight loss surgery and she is also on antidepressants. She started gaining weight when she was put on the antidepressants. Did that happen with you as well? Now I am thinking that CBD may be a good replacement. I use it for pain from a failed spine surgery and it works well for me. I think it makes me less anxious although I've never been particularly anxious.

Did your weight gain start when they put you on meds?

seattledeb
on 6/2/19 5:16 pm

Why not try both options?

DickDavis
on 6/2/19 9:25 pm

Most psychiatric medication cause huge increases in appetite. As the person gets fatter they need larger doses. That's the plan.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/3/19 10:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Actually, there are multiple mechanisms that cause weight gain after taking psych medications. It's NOT a conspiracy by "big pharma."

Benzos like Xanax, which are used on an "as needed" basis, generally do not cause changes in weight or appetite.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 22 years out
on 6/4/19 4:33 am - Burleson, TX

EXACTLY! I take full PERSONAL ownership, for my weight, past/present/future...I have taken antidepressants for over 30 years. I now maintain a 180 pound weight LOSS, still taking antidepressants, and migraine prevention meds, and a bedtime med, notorious for "causing weight gain"...I am NOT a special snowflake

I just try to do what I'm supposed to do, most of the time

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/19 11:19 am

I am one of "those people" who lost weight while on antidepressants. I don't need to medicate myself with food, plus the more Ok I am with me and the world, the more I want to go out and be active.

So for me - antidepressants actually help me maintain weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/3/19 10:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've used Xanax occasionally for anxiety for many years, as I have bipolar with a good bit of anxiety. I would tend to recommend it over CBD oil, which doesn't yet have a lot of clinical research backing its use.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 6/4/19 8:08 am, edited 6/4/19 1:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Supplements are on the market because they are -Generally recognized as safe. Just like medication, even if it worked for me - it may or may not work for you. The only way you will know is to try.

That being said, I would not negate using Xanax. Xanax can be taken daily, but does not have to be to work.

ETA: I looked at your posting history and you have been talking about anxiety since 2011. Work with your Doctor and try the Xanax. If Xanax doesn't agree with you, there are other medications to try.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 6/7/19 11:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It may be worth a try, but if you have RNY or DS, it may not be very effective because of the malabsorption. I got nothing from it at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes