Weighing Daily

White Dove
on 6/7/19 10:15 am - Warren, OH

I also track my food. I understand fluctuations in weight and dont obsess over them, but like the daily feedback from my scale and admit to happy grin when it has unexpectedly fluctuated down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

btm61
on 6/8/19 7:17 am

White Dove,

Read your last post, your mood is controlled by what the scale tells you. I can tell you there is NOTHING healthy about that and is a perfect reason to NOT weigh yourself every day. I did the same thing when I first started my journey and the professionals in my program told me to stop it, and they were right. I now weigh myself every 7 to 10 days and am much better for it. If you are tracking your intake as you claim, then you already have a pretty good idea of what the scale is going to say from one day to the next anyway, so why bother.

White Dove
on 6/8/19 7:35 am - Warren, OH

I just like having the scale make me happy. It has made me happy everyday since surgery, because it shows that I have not gone back to obesity.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/9/19 2:41 pm

it is not obsessing if you know that you are looking for. Plus if I don't weigh every day - not big deal. I don't "cry" or obsess when I am traveling or otherwise it is inconvenient for me to weigh.

Monitoring my weight helps me to understand so much more about my body than just how much do I weigh.

It can help me get better BM, hydration, and get more minerals. Also it can alert me when I burn through 2000 cal per day every day for 2 months losing weight, when at my age, and level of non activity - I should be gaining. Then I know something is wrong and i need to run some tests.

Just monitoring my food intake (that I don't do every day, but I do when it looks like I am gaining or losing) is not enough IMO.

I guess since I was never normal, metabolizm or other issues, my body never is going to react normally to food.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AnnieG522
on 6/7/19 9:44 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I weigh daily. Whether I've been careful or careless. I find the honesty I require of myself helps me to stay on track, or get right back on when I've gotten a bit fun with family.

I'm happy for the accountability, sometimes horrified that weight can go up 3 lbs overnight, but since I keep a food diary, I can usually see that it was salt, not enough water.I am not a number.

Except 67. My age is a prime number :)

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

White Dove
on 6/7/19 10:12 am - Warren, OH

I am 71, another prime number.

btm61
on 6/8/19 7:21 am

Annie, Unless there are health reasons I don't understand there was no reason for you to have WLS and your doctor should have told you that. 69 pounds overweight is no basis for WLS.

White Dove
on 6/8/19 7:51 am - Warren, OH

For most of us, 69 pounds is a huge amount of weight to have to carry around.

The sad truth about weight loss surgery is that at least 80% of the people who would benefit from it never are able to get it.

Liz J.
on 6/11/19 11:57 am
DS on 11/29/16
On June 8, 2019 at 2:21 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Annie, Unless there are health reasons I don't understand there was no reason for you to have WLS and your doctor should have told you that. 69 pounds overweight is no basis for WLS.

Where did you get your PhD? Because unless you have one, you shouldn't be giving out medical advise... Hell, even if you had one, you're not HER doctor. Her surgery is between them. Just start beep, beeping and back your way out of that one.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

btm61
on 6/11/19 6:16 pm

Liz, Where did your doctor get their PhD? Every medical doctor I know has a MD, not a PhD. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is defined as 1-2 pounds per week. At that rate Annie could lose her 69 pounds, health issues aside, in 35 to 70 weeks, not even 18 months at the outside. I can't speak to Annie's situation specifically. but I do know that at our center Annie would be required to lose 20 percent of her excess weight before doing the surgery. At that point, in our center, she would have only 55 pounds to lose and, unless there are health concerns, I don't think they would even consider the surgery. I'm not dispensing medical information, just an opinion based on what I see going on around me, which I believe the First Amendment, and this forum, allow me to do. Based on your response to me I'm guessing that you believe that there aren't any charlatan's in this business, even though the facts would prove you wrong.