Weighing Daily

karenp8
on 6/2/19 10:20 am - Brighton, IL

I second the post above!

Queen JB
on 6/4/19 5:10 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I'll be back. 13 more school days! #butwhoiscounting?

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Emiepie
on 6/10/19 3:57 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Please tell me you'll be back on the menu thread?!? I'm really glad that you're taking care of yourself.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

MadisonRose
on 6/2/19 8:10 am
RNY on 01/23/19

My dietitian told me to stop weighing daily because it would cause me to get too hung up on a number and cause me to obsess. Which it did for a bit there. But it doesn't really bother me anymore and I continue to weigh daily. I feel it keeps me on track. The longest I've gone without weighing was 9 days when I was on vacation. I was sooo scared to get back on the scale because even though I was sticking to my diet for the most part, there was a lot of eating out. Thankfully I didn't gain though and actually lost a pound. Although I'm still very early out from surgery too. But I definitely feel that weighing daily keeps me on track and I'll continue to do so.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Metamorph1959
on 6/4/19 12:31 pm
On June 2, 2019 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, MadisonRose wrote:

My dietitian told me to stop weighing daily because it would cause me to get too hung up on a number and cause me to obsess. Which it did for a bit there. But it doesn't really bother me anymore and I continue to weigh daily. I feel it keeps me on track. The longest I've gone without weighing was 9 days when I was on vacation. I was sooo scared to get back on the scale because even though I was sticking to my diet for the most part, there was a lot of eating out. Thankfully I didn't gain though and actually lost a pound. Although I'm still very early out from surgery too. But I definitely feel that weighing daily keeps me on track and I'll continue to do so.

Yup, and yet those same dietitians will tell you to track everything that goes into your mouth from now until eternity. Now THAT causes me to obsess! Weighing is so easy to do -- just hop on the scale first thing in the morning, note the number, and you're done. For some of us it's a much easier and less crazy-making way to stay accountable. I've even set up an Excel spreadsheet that gives me a rolling average of the previous 7 days, which smoothes out any blips due to water retention, dehydration, or those other things that the scale records as weight gain or loss that aren't.

VSGAnn2014
on 6/4/19 4:14 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I weigh every morning, and I track everything I eat, too. Almost five years post-op. Doesn't make me crazy at all. :)

BTW, I DO like your seven-day rolling average dealio. We're kindred souls.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Metamorph1959
on 6/4/19 4:50 pm

Well, kindred souls on the weighing-in part. Tracking food DOES make me crazy... I feel like it's hanging over me the whole day. :(

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/8/19 6:01 am

In the first couple of years I tracked what I was eating, drinking. Now I only do that occasionally, or during time when I am losing regain.

But I normally don't. I keep mental record of food eaten to make sure I got enough proteins and fat. Some days I am just not very hungry and then I don't eat enough.

But I can no track since I try to weigh every day. That tells me if I need to be strict, or I can relax, or I need to eat more (when my body reached low body weight).

My body fluctuate within 3-5 lbs weekly, but I always look at average for the week.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/19 10:52 am

At one point weighing daily became obsession. Really obsession. I had to stop and only weigh 2x a week.

But eventually I got much better relationship with the scale.

I try to weigh daily. That night only helps me with my weight, but also helps me to assess my hydration and my BM.

Since I tend to get constipated, I may be constipated even with daily BM if they are not a complete BM. Little by little things gets accumulated in my colon. Weight if one of factors that helps me to identify possible "back up" issues. And take care if that before it gets very serious.

Water - since I follow rather low carb diet, I need to re-carb periodically. Stored glycogen uses water. For every 1 gr od glycogen we need app 8 grams of water. So when. My body uses all stored glycogen, my weight would drop due to the loss of the water. The glycogen is a fast reserve my body need to keep my BS stable. Plus the water helps my muscles and overall well being.

When I run around too much, or do other intensive stuff, I may use my glycogen faster. I can see that based on my weight fluctuations.

Not having quick "sugar supplies" may make my body to deal with Hypoglycemia, or even reactive hypoglycemia. I hate either one of them.

I typically re-carb once a week or every 10 days, I often use fruits like berries to help me with that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 6/2/19 11:03 am - Warren, OH

You understand so much about how the body works and I always learn from your posts.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends