Tiny veins? Here's a tip for when you get blood drawn

TheWombat
on 5/26/19 2:03 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Last week I had blood drawn for my usual tests. I was advised to "drink lots of water to make my veins stand up" because they were doing a lot of tests. I guess some people know this trick, but it was the first time I had heard that advice. They didn't say how much to drink, so I guzzled 500 ml of water before the test. Unfortunately, my blood just wouldn't flow! The nurse was very skilled, but my veins just weren't co-operating. I kept thinking of this scene from the Simpsons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1E6_1JU81Q

So I went off to drink more water. I managed to guzzle down another litre of water before waddling and sloshing my way back to the nurse. That did the trick; she was able to fill all of the vials she needed. And I met 75% of my fluid quota before breakfast.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/27/19 8:49 am

Water by itself is ok, but I learned tha****er with Electrolytes works much better.

Plain water can actually dehydrating. Liquids in our body is not plain but filled with minerals and Electrolytes. Electrolytes are helping to keep the water in.

One of my tricks is to have a salty meal - meal full of Electrolytes and sodium the day before the test. Natural pickles (NSA like Bubbies), pickle's juice, or Chinese known for higher salt contents often did a great job.

If nothing else - living in SC, where it can be really hot, I have salt capsules, and pouches of mineral mix (I use electro-mix by Alacer).

One way to get rid of IV fluids that can cause water retention is to drink a lots of plain water.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Knitter215
on 5/27/19 2:59 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Ask them to use a "butterfly" - it is normally used for children and very helpful for smaller veins. My mom had really tiny veins and was a tough draw but once they started using the butterfly which is kid sized - they had no issues.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

TheWombat
on 5/27/19 8:57 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Good point. I forgot to mention it, but I always ask for a butterfly needle too.

Metamorph1959
on 6/4/19 5:52 pm

Ditto. The butterfly needle has saved me -- and the clinician -- much grief over the years.