Looking for some high protein snacks?

MadisonRose
on 5/23/19 10:01 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I'd like to find some high protein snacks for on the go. Right now I've been doing nuts, but as much as I love them there are only so many I can eat before I get tired of them. I'd love to find some good protein bars, but the ones I've looked at are either loaded with sugars or high in fat. I am looking for something with 5 or less grams of sugar, 100 calories or less if possible, low fat and I'd like to stay below 20 carbs. The lower the better. Something that actually tastes pretty good would be nice too. Maybe I'm being unrealistic with my goals, but figured I'd ask.

What do you guys recommend? Protein bars would be ideal, but it doesn't have to be that. Just looking for something I can throw in my purse to snack on when hunger hits.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/19 10:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Quest protein bars are a decent choice-- 200 cal, 21g protein, 20g carbs, only 1g sugar.

Jerky or meat sticks are another good choice. It gets expensive, but it's super easy to make your own! I do about five pounds a jerky each week (my husband eats a lot of it) and it takes about ten minutes of effort.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MadisonRose
on 5/23/19 10:25 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On May 23, 2019 at 5:19 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag wrote:

Quest protein bars are a decent choice-- 200 cal, 21g protein, 20g carbs, only 1g sugar.

Jerky or meat sticks are another good choice. It gets expensive, but it's super easy to make your own! I do about five pounds a jerky each week (my husband eats a lot of it) and it takes about ten minutes of effort.

Thanks! I'll check out the Quest protein bars. I also love meat sticks and jerky! So I'll definitely be getting some of those.

Jannie7
on 5/23/19 2:11 pm
VSG on 06/17/19

Sparklekitty - how do you make your own jerky?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/19 2:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I bought a dehydrator on Amazon and it works great! I buy a 3lb London broil at the grocery store, cut it into strips, and marinate it overnight in a mixture of hot sauce and Montreal steak seasoning mix. Then I lay it on the dehydrator and let it run for about 9 - 10 hours; my husband likes it pretty crunchy, so I dry it a long time.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jannie7
on 5/23/19 4:51 pm
VSG on 06/17/19

That sounds delicious!! I LOVE jerky!!! I'm just about to start the liquid diet phase before my VSG surgery on june 17 but i'm going to remember that idea when i'm back to being able to eat real food again. Thank you!!

The Salty Hag
on 5/23/19 11:53 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Pork rinds or cracklin's. They can be hit or miss in quality, but I have good luck with Mac's brand. Not sure if they're regional, but I buy them at my local Wal-Mart. A big bag is $2.98, I think. The unflavored variety have nothing but pork and salt as the ingredients-a lot of less expensive brands have a ton of preservatives. A 1/2 ounce is a serving, but I usually have an ounce for a serving. An ounce is 180 calories and 14 grams of protein, no carbs at all, and they are pretty filling.

I recently heard about a brand of protein bar named "Built", but I've not tried them. The stats seem to be what you're looking for. I like One bars, though they are over 200 calories per bar.

There are cheese crackers called Whisps that are very good. They're a little pricy, but they're WLS friendly, and four serving are in a smallish bag. I can find them at Wal-Mart too, near the deli section.

If I know I'm going to need to eat within a half hour of being out, I'll toss a couple of cheese sticks or a package of the panino roll ups into my purse.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

MadisonRose
on 5/23/19 4:42 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On May 23, 2019 at 6:53 PM Pacific Time, The Salty Hag wrote:

Pork rinds or cracklin's. They can be hit or miss in quality, but I have good luck with Mac's brand. Not sure if they're regional, but I buy them at my local Wal-Mart. A big bag is $2.98, I think. The unflavored variety have nothing but pork and salt as the ingredients-a lot of less expensive brands have a ton of preservatives. A 1/2 ounce is a serving, but I usually have an ounce for a serving. An ounce is 180 calories and 14 grams of protein, no carbs at all, and they are pretty filling.

I recently heard about a brand of protein bar named "Built", but I've not tried them. The stats seem to be what you're looking for. I like One bars, though they are over 200 calories per bar.

There are cheese crackers called Whisps that are very good. They're a little pricy, but they're WLS friendly, and four serving are in a smallish bag. I can find them at Wal-Mart too, near the deli section.

If I know I'm going to need to eat within a half hour of being out, I'll toss a couple of cheese sticks or a package of the panino roll ups into my purse.

Thanks for the ideas! I do love pork rinds and have been buying and munching on those too! They are very filling. I've noticed a lot of people recommending the Whisps so I went to Wal-Mart and got me three different flavors of them today. Can't wait to try them out!

jmk187
on 5/23/19 2:29 pm, edited 5/23/19 7:33 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I also do jerky(walmart brand original has 4 grams of sugar per serv.), baked cheese, and almonds.

I came across these on Amazon this morning and they look interesting to say the least..Its like a low carb "cheese ball" 2 grams of carbs per 1 cup serving and 130 calories. 21g protein per serv.

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Ingredients-Protein-Puffs/ dp/B078YD277Z/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=protein+balls&qid=15586466 84&s=gateway&sr=8-4

edited: to type the protein amount.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Mary Gee
on 5/23/19 3:06 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

24.99! Looks good, but not in my budget. Plus, I love Cheetos, so I'd probably eat more than I should.

I did get a dehydrator at an estate sale, so I may try making some jerky.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175