Kind of freaking out, revision related

Melody P.
on 5/22/19 2:43 pm - Amarillo, TX

i had my pre-admit at the hospital today. Where I found out my revision isn't quite what I'd thought it'd be.

Turns out my surgeon is doing DS...not RNY. Grant you on the last visit where this was decided I was nervous and must not of paid attention to the details. Was also dealing with a bout of acid reflux.

I've got even more research to do.

Mel

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/22/19 3:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

For someone dealing with acid reflux, DS is probably not the best choice.

If you're having a hard time paying attention at your appointment, is there somebody else you could bring along to help calm your nerves and make sure you get all of the info you need?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Melody P.
on 5/22/19 3:09 pm - Amarillo, TX

I called and left a message. I do remember the nurse telling me bypass. Will find out more tomorrow!

Mel

rocky513
on 5/23/19 4:19 am - WI

If your revision is because of GERD, the DS will likely not resolve it. You will have the same shaped stomach as the VSG, which is causing the GERD. DS to VSG revision is a much easier surgery which is why your surgeon may have chosen it.

With RNY they resect the lower part of the stomach, which is responsible for producing the majority of acid in your system. They leave the remnant lower stomach in place and it continues to produce digestive acid, but the acid it can only go down into your intestines and not up into your esophagus.

Don't go forward with a surgery that will not solve the problem.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Melody P.
on 5/23/19 6:23 am - Amarillo, TX

Ok, so apparently the nurse was wrong. I am scheduled for a RNY according to the dr office.

i was right! I always second guess myself.

thanks ladies!

Mel

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/19 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What a relief! Glad you got the answer :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MarinaGirl
on 5/23/19 7:59 pm

Make sure that the hospital admission documents you sign (on the day of surgery) clearly state that the surgery you approve to be performed is RNY, not DS.

Kathy S.
on 5/24/19 5:51 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Whew, we were all concerned about you getting the DS with reflux I agree, see if you can find someone to go with you to make sure you don't miss anything. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery and we look forward to your updates

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

stacyrg
on 5/24/19 11:13 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I agree with all above. Revision to DS to deal with GERD is a horrible idea. The sleeve exacerbates reflux because it creates a high pressure system and the acid has only one place to do, and that's up

Please keep us posted about what your doctor says.

stacyrg
on 5/24/19 11:14 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Oops sorry, I should read the whole thread before posting. Glad you got that straightened out.