Short term disability

Paradokx
on 5/2/19 2:55 pm

Hi, i am planning for surgery in November. I will only have about 5 sick days i can take with my unpaid FMLA, seeing as i have to be able to lift 30 pounds to return to my job i could be out 2-6 weeks. I am considering Short term disability, my employer has Aflac. How can i get them to paid for the time off and the hospital time? I know it has to be medically necessary but they also say they do not cover "pre existing conditions" which could include obesity. Obviously im not planning on telling the Aflac rep of my surgery intentions.. I just don't want to waste the money out of my pay if they won't cover my time off, I cant afford to be out of work and sadly it will all go on credit cards if I cant come up with something. ð??"

Pobearsam7
on 5/3/19 5:18 am

I have Aflac too

my policy kicks in after day 14 if I'm out of work due to disability

check your policy clauses because my dad had aflac and they paid for his hospital stay but I don't have that part of the policy

so you need to check and see when it kicks in and does it cover hospital stay

the good thing bout Aflac they can direct deposit your $$$ and you don't have to wait for a check

Kelly                

Pobearsam7
on 5/3/19 5:25 am

Did u sign up for Alfac before your surgery date and before you started your wls process?

if you did then u should be fine u just have to re-check your policy

because your doctor has to fill out forms when you first became a patient and if it was before you signed up for Aflac you may have to wait a year because one of my co workers signed up for Aflac after she was told she needed carpal tunnel surgery and she was told if she wanted the Aflac payment while she was outshe had to wait a yr.... and she had to start paying for the plan she selected now and once it's been a yr then she can use it for her surgery but if she had an unexpected medical emergency after she started paying for the plan she could use it for the emergency

Kelly                

Paradokx
on 5/3/19 12:48 pm

Can't sign up till open enrollment in june. I'm hoping they dont have a wait period. Its a year with preexisting conditions. But im not going to put off my surgery and wait a year just for that.

Pobearsam7
on 5/3/19 4:50 pm

Ohh ok but if I were you I would sign up for it did the doctor tell u how long you will be out

Kelly                

Paradokx
on 5/3/19 7:10 pm

Not yet.. first consult is the 13th :/

Pobearsam7
on 5/3/19 4:52 pm

I wish I knew bout Aflac but I found out 4 yrs post op our hr department never told us about the benefit I happened to ease drop on someone's convo

every employer indifferent when it comes to disability insurance

Kelly                

PrivateCitizen
on 5/3/19 10:24 pm

"Obviously im not planning on telling the Aflac rep of my surgery intentions..

I just don't want to waste the money out of my pay if they won't cover my time off,

i cant afford to be out of work and sadly it will all go on credit cards if I cant come up with something.

But im not going to put off my surgery and wait a year just for that.

------------- sounds like the ethical thing to do is pay for it yourself. Ins. companies are notoriously good as ensuring nobody gets away with anything.

Paradokx
on 5/3/19 10:32 pm

My surgery will be paid for. The problem is missing 3 paychecks. Trying to figure that out.

Knitter215
on 5/4/19 5:17 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

WHile you may not want to tell them about your surgery, your STD form will require a medical reason for being out -

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)