Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS!!!)

PCBR
on 4/28/19 1:44 pm

This post is going to contain spoilers about Avengers: Endgame. Please do not read further if you don't want to be spoiled.

I'm so deeply disappointed and hurt by how Thor's character was treated. His fat body, his grief and PTSD-driven alcoholism was a big, running gag. Imagine being a fat kid sitting in a theater, observing all of your heroes bullying another hero because he gained weight (and thus, no longer qualified to be a hero, I guess?)--and everyone just laughing along. Disney and Marvel have made such strides for diversity, that I cannot process how this toxic bull**** got through. After a heartfelt pep talk, his own goddamn mother caps it off with "eat a salad" --- which of us has not had that phrase weaponized and thrown at us? I was trying so hard to love the movie, but every time Thor came on screen, I found myself bracing myself for what was coming -- and how I'd have to try to explain/undo it for my kids who were watching with me.

DO BETTER, MARVEL! DO BETTER, DISNEY!

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/29/19 8:59 am, edited 4/29/19 2:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Counterpoint: even though he had challenges, he still came out and got his **** together and kicked ass by the end of the movie. When they found him in New Asgard, they didn't give up on him, they still wanted to bring him back to the team.

"Fat Thor" in the final battle was still pretty badass.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mschwab
on 5/2/19 11:44 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I didn't view it in the same manner. I did not find it offensive, personally. The Thor character has been all about his physique, and the vanity of it. Fat Thor is a pretty clever way to visably illustrate his utter dispair over the loss of his hammer, his failure to save the Asgardians and 1/2 the universe. His confidence always eminated from his power, and his power was not enough to defeat Thanos.

It was interesting to watch him wrestle with his depression in such a physical way (eating, drinking, poor hygeine, shutting himself off) and the obvious physical toll it took. It was Thor as his most human self.

Yet in spite of it all, he pulled himself together and kicked ass.

I like this Thor much better than the Shakespearean character he started out as.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!